PDA

View Full Version : First Build: 19' sailboat

frenchface
03-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Hey everyone, I have recently been given a 19' sailboat hull and trailer. The hull is complete but still needs to be fiberglassed. If I were to complete it, what is the ball park dollar figure I will need to put in it (can you break it down)? Where is the best place/cheapest place to buy materials? I am wanting to do this slowly, as budget will play a big factor so if I just wanted to purchase materials to finish the hull, how much epoxy would i need? Thanks!

stroom
03-25-2013, 08:44 PM
You are going to get a mass of messages asking for specifics.... Go take some pictures, look up the design name, discuss what you are wanting to use it for.. ie. what level of finish you want etc.

Breakaway
03-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Yep. There are members here who can give you accurate estimates of material quantity. But pictures and some dimensions will go a long way.

Kevin

David G
03-25-2013, 08:58 PM
And - for best results - you should specify your location.

frenchface
03-25-2013, 10:22 PM
I am unsure of what design it was being built too so far.
As far as what I want to use it for, it would be overnight/weekend trips for 2 adults and 2 children.

As far as dimensions:
Stern Width: 60"
Length: 19'
Width at widest part: 80"
Hull Depth: 33"

Thanks again!

David G
03-25-2013, 11:24 PM
With a 19' centerboard boat, You'll probably have room for two berths in side a small cabin - and room for the two kids to sleep in the cockpit under a boom tent. Are they old enough to do so unsupervised?

The hull seems to be constructed of softwood plywood. They tend to check if left unglassed. So definitely plan on glassing the exterior at least.

For plywood (for the cabin) - I'd see if I could find some Aquatek marine plywood. Specified to meet BS6566 standards and relatively inexpensive for a quality plywood. Lumber - whatever good quality softwood is available locally. Shop around at the local builders-type lumberyards (not Home Depot).

Without plans - it's impossible to come up with a budget - but here's some rough thoughts:

Glass & epoxy - Maybe $150
Plywood - maybe $300
Lumber - about the same
Oars - maybe $150
Sails - lots of options -- new maybe $800; kit maybe $600; home-sewn maybe $300?
Lines - $300?
Hardware - $400?

Your actual costs could vary widely - depending on how good a scrounger you are, how much time you want to spend perusing Craigslist, whether there's a local marine used gear outlet, whether your sails are a common design, etc. etc. etc.

I'd be surprised if even the most frugal and creative person could finish the boat for less than $1,000... and you could easily spend 3 or 4 times that, or more.

Woxbox
03-26-2013, 03:29 AM
I'd keep an eye out for a free or nearly free "donor" boat to source a mast, sails, some cleats and other hardware. You may even get lucky and get an anchor and other gear in such a package. All those stainless and aluminum bits get very expensive when you tally it up for a boat like yours.

frenchface
03-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks for costing it out for me, deff helps! As far as ordering glass and epoxy, is there a preferred online vendor? Also I would assume that it is a must to find some plans to match this, would that be correct?

Gerarddm
03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Check out Jamestown Distributors.

wizbang 13
03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img560/3562/058custom.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img404/451/065custom.jpg
Uh, That is a pretty rough amateur build. looks like acx fir , junky lookin gussets , and some bad fiberglassing , on an unknown design.
I would not throw a grand or two at this boat. Do you have tools? sanders, saws, safety gear, workspace, rum, unshakable marriage?

Find a better boat to start. Even finished, she will be hard to give away.

frenchface
03-26-2013, 11:19 AM
I do have all the tools and workspace. Do you think I should just pitch this hull?

wizbang 13
03-26-2013, 11:37 AM
I think there are better boats more deserving of your time and money
bruce