X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ted Hoppe
    Irritant, Level 2
    • Nov 2006

now looking for inexpensive used car

My 190k toyota land cruiser finally gave up the ghost with a blown head gasket, worn out brakes and bald tires last night. It finally died as I rolled into the driveway with a cloud of smoke, water vapor and sprayed oil over the windshield.... It knew it was coming but ignored it for months hoping to make it to summer. My beautiful and stylish bride is returning her 2010 VW convertible in two weeks. That means I need 2 cars right before writing a check to the IRS in april.

I am really glad to be finally free of a 11 mpg behemoth as I was hemeraging over 500 a month in gas charges (That in it self was a car payment). My better half wants the boxy Kia Soul (her mom has one) for her, the boy and two small dogs for a few family car adventures. For a car guy, I dislike most econoboxes and am shuttering at the thought of being trapped in a undesirable motor cage. Talk me through this please before I do something really silly.

Thanks!
    Without friends none of this is possible.
  • Stiletto
    Grant S
    • Jan 2003

Re: now looking for inexpensive used car

Buy her what she wants (within reason) and for yourself get an older but good vehicle that stirs your soul.

Good luck!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
      • Jun 2003

The used car market is tough right now, they are overpriced. I'm not sure why, but new (small) cars seem to be a better deal unless you get lucky.

I just bought a used V-50 volvo for a fair price, but I really like Volvos and have gotten good service from them - 300+K every one, going back to a 544

Comment

• Phil Y
        Banned
        • Apr 2010

If you can get away from the marketing BS that has so pervaded our society that the car your drive is almost an expression of your innerself, (not to mention a measure of your sexual prowess), it becomes a whole lot easier.

If you want cheap to buy, easy and cheap to maintain, good parts availability and ecomincal to run, good road manners, comfortable and safe almost any 4 clylinder japanese car between 10 and 20 years old will satisfy your every requirement. Although Honda and Subaru canbe expensive for parts.

If you want better safety, you need to look a bit newer-look for abs, front airbags, side airbags and electronic stability control, probably in that order.

If you want power and looks that go beyond functional, it becomes completely subjective. Thats when you are likely to do something silly.

Comment

• Ted Hoppe
          Irritant, Level 2
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Canoeyawl
          The used car market is tough right now, they are overpriced. I'm not sure why, but new (small) cars seem to be a better deal unless you get lucky.

I just bought a used V-50 volvo for a fair price, but I really like Volvos and have gotten good service from them - 300+K every one, going back to a 544
          you are right the used car market is tight. Many of the cars that are 3 to 5 years old are scarce. A volvo would be nice. I like the xc70 too - checks many boxes for me though I have no idea about reliability. I liked my 850 very much. My 20 year old nephew still drives it as it goes nearly 160k now.

I also have a friend who wants to sell me his 1997 Boxster for 6.5k - it has 95k - all dealer maintained. Tempting but not quite practical.

Comment

• elf
            opinionated crone
            • Sep 2006

"Inexpensive" and "used" don't go together in the marketplace "car".

And none of the vehicles being discussed here are cars, either. They're all too big to be cars.

If you harbor any thoughts of being a responsible adult role model for environmental consciousness to your kids, get a Matrix. And avoid all-wheel drive.
            A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
            And other things, too.

http://www.landsedgephoto.photodeck.com

Comment

• Kevin T
              • Nov 2009

And sometimes you got to say, "Screw practicality!"

If you are a car guy, buy what speaks to you.

We're dead an awfully long time and I don't think on one's death bed we regret the things we did as much as the things we might have done.

I say go for the Boxster, if it is a car that stirs the soul for you, you know its history and unless you have a carload of young'ins to still haul around, you can always rent practicality from uHaul for the odd day here and there when you need to pick up 40 bags of cedar mulch or bring home 19 sheets of plywood.
              "Unrepentant Reprobate"
              Lew Barrett

Comment

• jonboy
                Senhor Member
                • Mar 2009

Mend the landcruiser...190 k barely run in...last year I finally got rid of a 6 cyl diesel Patrol from 84 with nearly one million mls about 1500000kms with at least half ayear with the odometer broke, only because of rust....and its still running round the farm of the guy I gave it to ... , just not on the road..

they're all just nuts and bolts
                Last edited by jonboy; 03-08-2013, 04:36 PM. Reason: not enough noughts
                If my eyes don't deceive me, there's something going on around here

Comment

• purri
                  • Sep 2009

Drop a small block Chevvy in and do up the brakes.
                  Xanthorrea

Comment

• Keith Wilson
                    Trying to be reasonable
                    • Oct 1999

Repair the Landcruiser and still get 11 mpg with gas over $4 where you are? Ouch!

Consumer Reports says the XC70s were pretty reliable '08 and newer, but '05-'07 reported lots of engine cooling problems, otherwise OK. The V70s were better.
                    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
                    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• Gerarddm
                      #RESIST
                      • Feb 2010

I looked at a well priced used Boxster a few years ago and backed off due to engine reliability issues that Porsche wouldn't stand behind.

You basically can't go wrong with a used Honda or Toyota. They may not have the brio you want, though.

What are your usage parameters?
                      Gerard>
                      Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• LeeG
                        • May 2002

Sounds like you need to find one car, she's already picked the Kia so you need yours. What's the budget?

Have you been to the Buggy Bank in Berkeley?

buy and sell used cars privately at the Buggy Bank. Serving the Bay Area community since 1976.

Oh yea
                        Last edited by LeeG; 03-08-2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• seanz
                          Resilient?
                          • Nov 2006

Keep the Land Cruiser (on blocks in the front yard, of course) and drop a diesel in it when you can afford to.
                          We don't know how lucky we are....

Comment

• Ted Hoppe
                            Irritant, Level 2
                            • Nov 2006

Diesel is 4.70 a gallon and regular at the regular gas and go is nearly 4.20. It is pretty high and shocking only going up.

Heres the plan - Getting the wife her Kia! she will be very happy with a new car. I am going to have the broken landcruiser hauled to Pauls house in Hell and put it on blocks till i can get the right diesel that fits the california standards. Have begun looking a volvo and will pine for a sports car.

stay tuned!

Comment

• Peter Malcolm Jardine
                              • Aug 2002

Yep, after having a toyota that lasted you for years and thousands of miles, buy a korean car. Good luck with that.
                              Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.

Comment

Working...