PDA

View Full Version : Fiesty old folks

Rich Jones
02-28-2013, 09:50 PM
My brother just got out of the hospital from a recurring illness. Three inches of snow had fallen and his father-in-law, after snowblowing his own driveway, came across the street and did my brother's. The old boy just turned 88 last week. Besides maintaining his house in town, he's got a nice piece of lakefront on Lake George (NY) with three docks, a covered slip, sundeck and several small boats that he also maintains. The guy is amazing. He bought the property in 1960 for $10,000. Now the taxes on the place (no house on property) are $10,000!! He's going to be selling it in the fall. Can no longer afford the taxes.

While skiing Tuesday, I met a guy on the slopes who was 84 years old. And he could still ski from the summit.

My own mother, 89 this summer, can run rings around me sometimes. Sharp as a tack and still doing everything in her life that she always has.

Only hope I can do as well as these folks!

ccmanuals
02-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Lake George waterfront, talk about prime real estate!

S.V. Airlie
02-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Ah yes, some of the older set are amazing. I talked to the parent of one of my old girl friends at Christmas just to say "Howdy". He was off on Dec. 26th for one of his many ski trips with his kids, their husbands, and his grandkids.. He is or had his 92nd birthday early last fall. Amazing guy!

Rich Jones
02-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Lake George waterfront, talk about prime real estate!

Yeah, 120' frontage on the lake close to Lake George Village. It'll break his heart to let it go, but the taxes are a killer. He just can't afford it anymore. Asking price is $800,000. That'll ease the pain!

ron ll
02-28-2013, 10:32 PM
My next door neighbor is an inspiration to me. 87, still very active and healthy. He works full days in his shop making beautiful custom furniture, pieces that sell for $10-20,000. He drives a red two seater Mercedes like he stole it, and still flies his own plane. Couple of years ago he and a buddy flew a staggerwing Beech from Seattle to Miami.