PDA

View Full Version : sequestration fear mongering

Paul Pless
02-27-2013, 09:14 AM
A bit ironic to see Obama using fear tactics.

I found Janet Napolitano's dire warnings the most amusing thus far, but I guess that's all in the realm of Homeland Security. . .

Concordia 33
02-27-2013, 09:50 AM

I found Janet Napolitano's dire warnings the most amusing thus far, but I guess that's all in the realm of Homeland Security. . .

Amen to that - Homeland security wouldn't even say how many more than their usual "catch and release" were let go, nor were they willing to say which site released them.

Or this tidbit that they warned us about......

The National Drug Intelligence Center will lose $2 million from its $20 million budget. What they don't tell you is that the NDIC shut down in June 2012, and some of its responsibilities were absorbed by the Drug Enforcement Administration.

David G
02-27-2013, 09:58 AM
It's long been the standard tactic of any entity facing significant cuts in their budget - non-profit, government, or corporate - to hype the most disastrous scenario as a way of attempting to duck the fallout, and to lower expectations. To some degree, this is justified... because it's really hard to plan for these types of cuts on the fly. I know, I've done it a few times in non-profit and for-profit settings. But, it's also the easy way out. Not surprising... but not particularly admirable.

Dan McCosh
02-27-2013, 10:05 AM
I missed the speech. Did she mention that they may have to halt construction of the radar towers aimed at surveillance of pickerel fisherman and indian reservations on the border?

John of Phoenix
02-27-2013, 10:07 AM
If they abolished DHS altogether it wouldn't bother me.

Concordia 33
02-27-2013, 10:28 AM
It's long been the standard tactic of any entity facing significant cuts in their budget - non-profit, government, or corporate - to hype the most disastrous scenario as a way of attempting to duck the fallout, and to lower expectations. To some degree, this is justified... because it's really hard to plan for these types of cuts on the fly. I know, I've done it a few times in non-profit and for-profit settings. But, it's also the easy way out. Not surprising... but not particularly admirable.

Well said!

Kaa
02-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Um? Completely standard operating procedure for him, as it is for most every American president...

Kaa

Gerarddm
02-27-2013, 10:39 AM
I disagree, Kaa.

Disingenuous? Yes. Fear? Ah, no.

Paul Pless
02-27-2013, 12:53 PM
We all know that as much as we despise the politics and the positions that the Republicans have been playing for the last four years that they have often schooled Obama. Does this backfire on Obama. I see at least one scenario where it might, he's been talking this up pretty good and we're gonna enter this first month of sequestration and nothing really bad is gonna happen, thus leading many to wonder what the big deal is.

Paul Pless
02-27-2013, 02:03 PM
That is ONLY because one unfortunate side effect of sequestration is that the burdens aren't equally shared. Welcome to America!

Paul Pless
02-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Actually I disagree with you Norman, everyone will feel its economic effect, especially if it leads to recession and increased unemployment.

ccmanuals
02-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Would it be considered fear mongering if it is actually true?

If it became true and the Amercian people were not warned would you criticize the President for not warning us?

Why is it that a bunch of Congressional Republicans, i.e. Boehner say it's a disaster and other's I.E. Rand Paul say it's all a hoax?

Paul Pless
02-27-2013, 02:19 PM
However, this does NOT mean that we don't owe it to ourselves, and our nation, to now and then do something to 're-balance' things. Note my signature.

Concordia 33
02-27-2013, 04:04 PM
And this just in....

The descriptions of the post-sequester landscape that have been coming out of the Obama Administration have been alarming, specific--and, in at least some cases, hyped.

“There are literally teachers now who are getting pink slips, who are getting notices that they can’t come back this fall,” Education Secretary Arne Duncan said Sunday (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/02/24/arne-duncan-thousands-of-teachers-could-lose-thei-jobs-as-result-of-sequester/)on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

When he was pressed in a White House briefing Wednesday to come up with an example, Duncan named a single county in West Virginia and acknowledged, “whether it’s all sequester-related, I don’t know.”

And, as it turns out, it isn’t.

Officials in Kanawha County, West Virginia say that the “transfer notices” sent to at least 104 educators had more to do with a separate matter that involves a change in the way West Virginia allocates federal dollars designated for poor children