Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jclays
    • Jan 2008

epoxy and wet wood

Found some nice fairly clear Doug fir 2x4 #2 and better at the local lumber yard 20ft long. Would make nice rub rails and shear clamps and will take the bends nice since they are still fairly wet. Would epoxy glue this lumber up ok or will the wood still being wet be a problem? I guess I could clamp and screw the lumber in place for 3 to 4 weeks till it takes shape and dries out a bit then glue it up with epoxy. What say you?
    thanks
    Jim
  • stewart711
    • May 2007

Re: epoxy and wet wood

I had a lot of trouble with moisture and epoxy while repairing my keel. Fairly wet sounds too wet. I'd let it dry as you suggest. I stopped last summers project and believe it will be dry enough this spring. The epoxy gets creamy waxy like and doesn't adhere well.

Stewart

Comment

• Jamie Orr
      Old Boat-er
      • Aug 2004

Re: epoxy and wet wood

Originally posted by jclays
      Found some nice fairly clear Doug fir 2x4 #2 and better at the local lumber yard 20ft long. Would make nice rub rails and shear clamps and will take the bends nice since they are still fairly wet. Would epoxy glue this lumber up ok or will the wood still being wet be a problem? I guess I could clamp and screw the lumber in place for 3 to 4 weeks till it takes shape and dries out a bit then glue it up with epoxy. What say you?
      thanks
      Jim
      Check out Cold Cure, on their website System 3 say it will cure underwater. It's a good epoxy but I've only used it down to cool and/or damp (humid) conditions, not actually wet so no personal experience to add.

Jamie

Comment

Working...