PDA

View Full Version : Things southerners don't appreciate about yankeland

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 09:09 AM
For instance, the fact that even if covered, your firewood pile is likely to freeze into a solid monolithic chunk of cordwood.

Peach
02-24-2013, 09:22 AM
For instance, the fact that even if covered, your firewood pile is likely to freeze into a solid monolithic chunk of cordwood.

I think you might be a little light on firewood harvesting and storage technique.

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 09:27 AM
I think you might be a little light on firewood harvesting and storage technique.I foresee a shed in future.

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Simple things even, like a gentle breeze. Sure southerners notice when the wind pipes up to tornadic or hurricane force, but its really quite amazing what even just a 3 on the Beaufort Scale feels like when its zero frikking degrees Fahrenheit outside.

Peach
02-24-2013, 09:33 AM
I foresee a shed in future.

Make it big enough to hold at least two seasons worth of firewood, with open sides for good air flow, and an overhanging roof on all sides.

Mrleft8
02-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Dry firewood doesn't clump. If your firewood is freezing together it's too wet to burn efficiently. A shed will keep it dry once it's dried, but you need good air circulation to get it to dry in the first place. A south facing pile will dry faster than a north facing pile ;).

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Dry firewood doesn't clump. If your firewood is freezing together it's too wet to burn efficiently. A shed will keep it dry once it's dried, but you need good air circulation to get it to dry in the first place.this is from wind blown snow, and thaw and refreeze, and condensation. . .

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Make it big enough to hold at least two seasons worth of firewood, with open sides for good air flow, and an overhanging roof on all sides.its also gonna be big enough to hold my tractor and log splitter

we actually have the shed, the problem is the guy who owned the property before us built it in the valley several hundred feet away from the house. . .

Peach
02-24-2013, 09:46 AM
We are burning wood this winter that was cut and stacked three years ago, mostly mixed hardwoods. Joy.

Katherine
02-24-2013, 09:59 AM
We have 10.5 acres of standing black locust

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Things southerners don't appreciate about yankeland that little bit of snow that falls onto your car seat when you open the door after a snow fall. Heated seats immediately lead to 'wetass'. . .

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-24-2013, 10:02 AM

So you're going to set Paul to whittling cleats, belay pins etc and trade those for firewood - right?

Mrleft8
02-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Windblown snow doesn't stick to dry stacked firewood if it's stacked properly..... And 10.5 acres of standing Black Locust won't keep you warm. It's gotta be cut, split, stacked and dried before it's any use.
And right now is the time to cut it. In another 2-3 weeks you'll be cutting wood that's so full of sap that even if you dry it for a full year you'll get less BTUs, more creosote, and more ash.

Garret
02-24-2013, 10:10 AM
that little bit of snow that falls onto your car seat when you open the door after a snow fall. Heated seats immediately lead to 'wetass'. . .

Maybe clear the snow off before you open the door?

Begin Rant

Why is it that "modern" cars have their door tops & roofs sloped so that the snow/rain does land in the car? I realize that gutters are non-aerodynamic, but they sure worked well at keeping the seats dry.

End Rant

Breakaway
02-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Heated seats immediately lead to 'wetass'. . .

Heated seats are for wusses! :)

Why is it that "modern" cars have their door tops & roofs sloped so that the snow/rain does land in the car?

Agreed. I fit all my vehicles with aftermarket side window visors, eschewing aerodynamics in favor of convenience.

Kevin

Mrleft8
02-24-2013, 10:15 AM

This would be the sort of thing that a Yankee is born knowing intuitively. A southerner is born knowing how to turn left.

Then there are things that a Yankee learns by the age of 4, like how to tell when the sugar is running by looking for the sapcicles on the Maple trees. A southerner learns not to lick a fire ant hill......

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Windblown snow doesn't stick to dry stacked firewood if it's stacked properly..... And 10.5 acres of standing Black Locust won't keep you warm. It's gotta be cut, split, stacked and dried before it's any use.
And right now is the time to cut it. In another 2-3 weeks you'll be cutting wood that's so full of sap that even if you dry it for a full year you'll get less BTUs, more creosote, and more ash.

Sappy locust? hahahaha. . .

Dude we have so much locust on the ground that's been down for years I probably won't have to cut a standing tree for another ten years. Snapped from our front door to give you an idear. . .

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/IMG_0224-1_zps0bc7a836.jpg

George Jung
02-24-2013, 10:19 AM
1) suspect the shed is a distance from the house to keep the mice (they love stacked cordwood) outta your place 2) heated seats with leather is a necessity; yowza! AFA the snow - swipe it away before opening.

They use much salt on the roads your way? cars love that stuff.

George Jung
02-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Nice acreage, btw.

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 10:21 AM
1) suspect the shed is a distance from the house to keep the mice (they love stacked cordwood) outta your place 2) heated seats with leather is a necessity; yowza! AFA the snow - swipe it away before opening.

They use much salt on the roads your way? cars love that stuff.is there no sense of humor in the bilge this morning, jesus. . .

The shed is down in the valley because that's where the guys horses were pastured. . .

Gerarddm
02-24-2013, 10:22 AM
I am a wuss, then, 'cause I appreciate my heated seats.

Speaking ol cold weather, I never understood why some people never bother to fully clean snow and ice off their cars before driving. You see people with impaired vision and it must be like driving through a portable tunnel. My father taught me to clear off your roof too... If you don't, when the snow and ice pack start to melt, a tap on the brakes can send a mini avalanche all down your windshield, potentially in a critical situation. Not good.

George Jung
02-24-2013, 10:27 AM
is there no sense of humor in the bilge this morning, jesus. . .

The shed is down in the valley because that's where the guys horses were pastured. . .

It's 'George', big guy..... I know, confusing....

AFA 'sense of humor', I thought my comments were appropro and witti-enough. And likely to at least stimulate conversation about 'how close is that new shed going to be to my house?'

I am a wuss, then, 'cause I appreciate my heated seats.

Speaking ol cold weather, I never understood why some people never bother to fully clean snow and ice off their cars before driving. You see people with impaired vision and it must be like driving through a portable tunnel. My father taught me to clear off your roof too... If you don't, when the snow and ice pack start to melt, a tap on the brakes can send a mini avalanche all down your windshield, potentially in a critical situation. Not good.

People, mostly southern-born, think it's too darned cold to clear all the snow off... that's why.

Garret
02-24-2013, 10:37 AM
If enjoying heated seats makes me a wuss, then so be it. I see no need to suffer needlessly - even though doing so is a yankee tradition.....

I rather like indoor plumbing as well. Does that make me even more of a wuss? :p

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 10:39 AM
'how close is that new shed going to be to my house?'about 50 yards or so

Peach
02-24-2013, 10:45 AM
You call these trees?

Out west we call this brush.

Mrleft8
02-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Sappy locust? hahahaha. . .

Dude we have so much locust on the ground that's been down for years I probably won't have to cut a standing tree for another ten years. Snapped from our front door to give you an idear. . .

Slim.... I hate to shatter your illusions, but those aren't Locust trees,Those look like Cherry and Black Birch trees, and the amount you have on the ground there is about 2 weeks worth of burning.

Durnik
02-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Why is it that "modern" cars have their door tops & roofs sloped so that the snow/rain does land in the car? I realize that gutters are non-aerodynamic, but they sure worked well at keeping the seats dry.

begin gloat

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OoevCY31LzQ/UOEK8IIalPI/AAAAAAAABIw/x2i_5YwCZ0s/s599/snow.on.toyota.jpg

there are better ways to improve fuel economy than to make the vehicles non-functional in the parts of society which use their garages for better things than cars.. boat building comes to mind..

yes, I know.. this 'snow' is really just a dusting.. forgive me father, for I have sinned.. ;-)

end gloat..

Kevin, I'm with you! Function must not be sacrificed to form!

BTW, Paul, 'yankeland'? ooo, that's baaad.. _real_ baaad.. ;-)

enjoy
bobby

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Slim.... I hate to shatter your illusions, but those aren't Locust treeswhat might these be?

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/DSC_4626_zps45d68047.jpg

Breakaway
02-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Speaking ol cold weather, I never understood why some people never bother to fully clean snow and ice off their cars before driving. You see people with impaired vision and it must be like driving through a portable tunnel.

Agreed. Cleaning the roof is as important as cleaning the windshield.If you have a pile of snow up top, and after the car has warmed up a bit and the heat leaks through the roof, even a tap of the brakes can cause it all to slide down and piles up on the hood, blocking your view.

As for heated seats: after, oh, five minutes, body heat and the car's heat make them superfluous.

Kevin

Garret
02-24-2013, 11:30 AM
what might these be?

Woods badly in need of thinning? Pasture that hasn't been mowed for 25 years? A great place for pheasant? Firewood for many years? The list goes on..... :)

Garret
02-24-2013, 11:33 AM
As for heated seats: after, oh, five minutes, body heat and the car's heat make them superfluous.

Kevin

Well, I like to have the seat warming me & the interior temp lower on a long trip. I find I am more alert with my head being in cooler air (note that I said nothing about cooler heads!) & my body aches far less (if at all) after a 5 hour drive with the warmth from the seat. It also means my gal can have hers @ 5 while mine is @ 2 & we both are comfortable.

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Woods badly in need of thinning? Pasture that hasn't been mowed for 25 years? A great place for pheasant? Firewood for many years? The list goes on..... :):d ...

Breakaway
02-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Well, I like to have the seat warming me & the interior temp lower on a long trip. I find I am more alert with my head being in cooler air (note that I said nothing about cooler heads!) & my body aches far less (if at all) after a 5 hour drive with the warmth from the seat. It also means my gal can have hers @ 5 while mine is @ 2 & we both are comfortable.

That's a good point. I don't have to deal with it. The wife and kids share my aversion to stifling heat. Usually, I drive with heat on low, or just the defroster on, and the window cracked open for air.

Kevin

George Jung
02-24-2013, 11:40 AM
about 50 yards or so

That's good; mice don't like to run too far between buildings in the winter, either!

Garret
02-24-2013, 11:56 AM
That's good; mice don't like to run too far between buildings in the winter, either!

But cats prefer it when they have to....

Canoeyawl
02-24-2013, 11:59 AM
I see a lot of saw sharpening in your future... and maybe a D-6
(A Yankee knows to buck wood while it is green and clean)

Oysterhouse
02-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Nope Paul, your wrong---We appreciate every single nuance of a northern winter.:D

Hunky Dory
02-24-2013, 12:32 PM
My truck has a seat preheater, His name is Riley and he sits in my seat while I clear the windows and let the truck warm up
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa455/BobLister/Riley/december2011002.jpg

Oysterhouse
02-24-2013, 12:44 PM
This design has worked well for a woodshed for us. Keeps the wood nice and dry, allows for good circulation and keeps the woodpile from floating away during costal storms. (Surge from Sandy came about halfway up the band).

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b498/Oysterhouse1/DCP_1867_zps509a7c34.jpg

Oysterhouse
02-24-2013, 12:47 PM
My truck has a seat preheater, His name is Riley and he sits in my seat while I clear the windows and let the truck warm up
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa455/BobLister/Riley/december2011002.jpg

My truck had a pre-heater like that--worked great--The only drawback was the nose prints on the inside of all the glass!:d

JollyTar
02-24-2013, 12:49 PM
When you tell somebody something, it depends on where you're standing ... as to just how dumb you are.

This is definitely the time to cut wood back home as the ground is frozen and you won't disturb/compact the soil as much. (and there are no flies, ticks, etc, and you aren't being plagued by sweating in the heat) However, if you cut in the summer, you can leave it lie, limbs and all for about a month or so and the leaves will draw a lot of the moisture out of the stem before you come back to buck and limb it. Get it split and stacked facing the sun in prominent wind before the heat of summer and it'll season fairly decently. Home the wind blows out of the NW most of the summer, which is pretty convenient. Ash you can burn green if you must, but it improves with drying like the rest of them.

Smooth sailing,

Jolly Tar

StevenBauer
02-24-2013, 01:07 PM
A wet snow like today's can be so beautiful. We just got back from a two hour walk with the dog. What a gorgeous day!

Out the back door:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2013%20pics/d1fec0c00808204b15036384bec950c1_zpsf105fb8b.jpg

The entrance to the park:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2013%20pics/e182bda8d79dfb0f82dd52a28e8ae703_zpscb441041.jpg

In the park:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2013%20pics/d365d0ba6a9fe6c98fd901f063a68a08_zpsfbe05ecc.jpg

It's nice living so close to the park. We live right in the biggest city in the state and this is just a couple of blocks from the house.

leikec
02-24-2013, 01:13 PM

Begin Rant

End Rant

Amen.

Jeff C

leikec
02-24-2013, 01:31 PM

They use much salt on the roads your way? cars love that stuff.

Southeastern Michigan is the salt capital--much of Detroit sits on top of salt mines.

Jeff C

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 01:34 PM
They use much salt on the roads your way? cars love that stuff.I have never in my entire life driven a rusty car. Last year I saw a spot of dirt on my quarter panel and I went to rub it off and my finger went through the fender. . .

ahp
02-24-2013, 01:46 PM
If you have a bird feeder you also need snowshoes to get to it. When we moved to Georgia I brought my Vermont Tubs with me and hung them on the wall to remind me of that.

Michael D. Storey
02-24-2013, 01:50 PM

And your lake is likely to freeze into a solid monolithic chunk of concrete

the_gr8t_waldo
02-24-2013, 01:57 PM
cleaning off car roofs??!! i bet you sing "i wish i was in dixie" while doing that!

Mrleft8
02-24-2013, 02:05 PM
You call these trees?

Out west we call this brush.

There's more BTUs of heat in that "brush" than in a whole hectare of your big trees.

Curtism
02-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Paul's all wet, not just his seat. This southerner deeply appreciates hearty souls like Riley (post #38) who are brazen enough to live in climes where you have to wear long furred coats and drag your willy through snow in order to take advantage of the great outdoors. Heck, this guy doesn't even like wet grass when the temp is below the 50's. Can't say I blame him.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx259/curtismil/Red1108sm.jpg

katey
02-24-2013, 02:12 PM
I acquired a BIG downed locust from a neighbor. It's bucked up (into somewhat random lengths, not by me) and has been drying for three years now. Splitting the little stuff (about as big as what Paul shows) by hand is do-able, but I'm not looking forward to the trunk pieces (up to 20") at all. I own three wedges and two mauls and I don't know if that will be enough.

Mrleft8
02-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Even big locust splits pretty easily, Katey. Crotches and big knots can be a challenge though.
Split from the bottom of the tree to the top (each individual log) and look for a natural started split for your first wedge. After that it should be easy like Sunday morning.

Reynard38
02-24-2013, 02:54 PM

You do know that stuff steam bends wonderfully right?
Also makes nice cleats. I don't toss or burn any of my BL scraps. Too nice.

John B
02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
It never fails to amaze me to see photos like those. I think you guys live in another world, not just another country. Still hot and dry here.

Here y' go.

yesterday.. beach races at Onetangi.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Waione_photos/misc%20sailing%2012%20and%2013%20season/2013-02-24125837_6.jpg

Hilarious too, the highlight being the sealegs races. You'd love em... boats with aircraft style landing gear... a sort of boat plane tractor thing goin on.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Waione_photos/misc%20sailing%2012%20and%2013%20season/2013-02-24132453_3.jpg

StevenBauer
02-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Very cool.

Here are a couple more from today:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2013%20pics/DSC_5792_zpsc7b516ac.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2013%20pics/DSC_5799_zpsb444e6eb.jpg

And one from last week, it looks like Talisman is sailing in some solid white waves. (Ok, maybe I've got just a little touch of cabinfever)
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2013%20pics/DSC_5770_zpsd586b214.jpg

StevenBauer
02-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Any videos of the sealegs races?

John B
02-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Great waves!! I think I'd rather have a winter like that.
Either that or follow the summer to somewhere else. Our winters are awful not summer things,drizzly relatively warm but not comfortable. I hate em and being the age I am, I want everyone to know about it.

John B
02-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Any videos of the sealegs races?

No I don't really do videos much and I only had my phone anyway. They were just so funny, the lead guys go into the water with some tilt just so they can drown the guys behind ,and when they plane in to the beach the game is to come as far as you dare before getting the wheels down. One guy put his down 30 metres out at 15 knots and totally dissappeared in a shroud of spray. pah , newbie. :d

Gib Etheridge
02-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Sealegs races;

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sealegs+race

Gib Etheridge
02-24-2013, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=katey;3708782]I acquired a BIG downed locust from a neighbor. It's bucked up (into somewhat random lengths, not by me) and has been drying for three years now. Splitting the little stuff (about as big as what Paul shows) by hand is do-able, but I'm not looking forward to the trunk pieces (up to 20") at all. I own three wedges and two mauls and I don't know if that will be enough.[/QUOTe

If you cut it into 4 inchers it will split easily and you can burn the nuggets like coal. Works very well for big knots too.

StevenBauer
02-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Yep, YouTube to the rescue:

http://youtu.be/s-uiPjgueWI

StevenBauer
02-24-2013, 09:33 PM
We just came in from giving Trevor a little exercise. He absolutely loves the snow.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2013%20pics/7b0f17ffc83781c972c4b26c4c39acf7_zpsb3e7c02c.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2013%20pics/6486dc64d0e9831966dbeb527fa6ff81_zps553beaa1.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2013%20pics/c7f692607e29986ed84e078700223f5e_zps076008d3.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/2013%20pics/e8f8727062dde8792687564978987b19_zpscb8d4bb0.jpg

Osborne Russell
02-25-2013, 01:51 PM
I had trouble with the idea that you have to bring the beer in from the garage so it can warm up (to above freezing) and then put it in the refrigerator to get cold.

woodpile
02-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Why you need a good wood shed in New England.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/donfromct/bth_IMG_0568_2_zps8d086f45.jpg

Rich Jones
02-25-2013, 07:48 PM
At the beginning of the season, I had eight cords of eighteen month old firewood covered with good tarps. Nothing frozen up so far. Got four and a half cords left. I'm going to price out the materials for a proper wood shed this summer. It'll be about 50' from the house.
I've hired a guy to cut down about 15 black cherry trees before the sap starts to run. I won't split it for a while, just want to get it on the ground.

The wife loves her heated seats. I could do without them. Makes me feel like I've messed my pants....

Oysterhouse
02-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Why you need a good wood shed in New England.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp38/donfromct/bth_IMG_0568_2_zps8d086f45.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^
Why I would need to be on I-95 headed south from New England. See y’all in June.:cool:

Hunky Dory
02-25-2013, 10:49 PM
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa455/BobLister/DSC00484_zpsdf3409dc.jpg

Last week after the third snow. It rained yesterday and it's melting nicely now