PDA

View Full Version : Another gun thread kinda

m2c1Iw
02-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Strange I can't find a gun thread to post to so here goes. This came across my desk today so thinking some of you may find it amusing or not here it is.

A Police Officer in Australia

Question:
How do you tell the difference between an Australian Police Officer, a UK Police Officer and an American Police Officer?

Answer:
First - Lets pose the following question:

You're on duty by yourself walking on a deserted street late at night.
Suddenly, an armed man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife and lunges at you. You are carrying a Glock 40, and you are an expert shot, however you have only a split second to react before he reaches you. What do you do?

AUSTRALIAN POLICE OFFICER:
Firstly the officer must consider the man's Human Rights.
1) Does the man look poor or oppressed?
2) Is he newly arrived in this country and does not yet understand the law?
3) Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
4) Am I dressed provocatively?
5) Could I run away?
6) Could I possibly swing my gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
7) Should I try and negotiate with him to discuss his wrong doings?
8) Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?
9) Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society?
10) Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
11) If I were to grab his knees and hold on, would he still want to stab and kill me?
12) If I raise my gun and he turns and runs away, do I get blamed if he falls over, knocks his head and kills himself? .
13) If I shoot and wound him, and lose the subsequent court case, does he have the opportunity to sue me, cost me my job, my credibility and the loss of my family home?

UK POLICE OFFICER:
BANG!

AMERICAN POLICE OFFICER:
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! 'click'...
(Sergeant arrives at scene later and remarks: 'Nice grouping.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System on behalfof Claridge Motors Pty. Ltd.
For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com (http://www.symanteccloud.com/)
__________________________________________________ ____________________

The Bigfella
02-21-2013, 08:43 PM
I've seen that one before, with the UK and Oz components reversed.

Strangely enough, I've also interviewed a number of cops who'd been in that situation, including one who'd shot and killed the guy.

The reality is that you need to be 7 metres away from the perp to be able to draw and fire and avoid being stabbed. I've had a guy at my front door grab a hatchet from behind his back and start to swing it. Having a Glock on my belt would not have changed the outcome of what happened then btw. I grabbed his arm, over-powered him, threw him off my verandah and slammed the door.

Oysterhouse
02-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Only 12 shots from the American cop? I Guess he didn’t load his mag full.

Larks
02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Yes, it's done the rounds here before but as Ian said, the UK and OZ were reversed. The cops here do get quite a bit of flack for shooting first and asking questions later, it led to the introduction of Tasers.

But now they just get into strife for tasering people indiscriminately.....I'd be interested though to know how many more people might have been shot if the taser option wasn't available.

I wouldn't want to be a cop, toughest job in the world, damned when you do and damned when you don't.

Meli
02-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Well I think indiscriminate tasering is a tad anti social:d

Donn
02-22-2013, 08:18 AM
The reality is that you need to be 7 metres away from the perp to be able to draw and fire and avoid being stabbed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/donnwest/smilies/crackup.gif

Paul Pless
02-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Check out Munden at the one minute mark!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqABkG1JpHM

The Bigfella
02-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Oh sorry, thanks for reminding me..... That doesn't include heroes in their own minds

Paul Pless
02-22-2013, 08:34 AM
That doesn't include heroes in their own minds

speaking of. . .

I've had a guy at my front door grab a hatchet from behind his back and start to swing it. Having a Glock on my belt would not have changed the outcome of what happened then btw. I grabbed his arm, over-powered him, threw him off my verandah and slammed the door.

downthecreek
02-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Strange I can't find a gun thread to post to so here goes. This came across my desk today so thinking some of you may find it amusing or not here it is.

Not so sure about that. UK police officers don't normally carry any type of gun. Certainly not when they are just "out on patrol".

Paul Pless
02-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Not so sure about that. UK police officers don't normally carry any type of gun. Certainly not when they are just "out on patrol".
You do realize it was a joke, right?

downthecreek
02-22-2013, 08:45 AM
You do realize it was a joke, right?

Of course. But jokes are funnier when they are accurate about real life.

Dr.Spoke
02-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Without being too glib... What was the UK ARU officer doing out of his vehicle with firearm without a specific threat from a firearm? Why was he by himself? We can taken as read that he was not a member of Diplomatic, Nuclear, or miltary divisions - as he was on the street
And having seen enough UK police dis-arming people with knives: why would a UK policeman involve themselves in a court case unecessarily - as merely brandishing a fire-arm is considered "use" and may/will put them in court.

Edit: I know it was a joke... But still love the fact that the UK police do not carry fire-arms as a matter of course. One of the last police forces to not carry

Horace
02-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Strangely enough, I've also interviewed a number of cops who'd been in that situation, including one who'd shot and killed the guy.

The reality is that you need to be 7 metres away from the perp to be able to draw and fire and avoid being stabbed........

Check out Munden at the one minute mark!

Why is Donn providing a sarcastic smilie and Paul a video of an exceptionally trained pistolero as a response to Ian's remarks?

For comparison, 'in track and field races, the runner must react (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_time) to the starting gun, which takes approximately 0.24 seconds, based on FAT timing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT_timing)' [an anticipated event], and 4.5 seconds is a rather lackluster time for a 40 yard (36.6m.) dash.

The aggressor sets the timing. I think Ian's distance estimate is just about right, and is more or less on the scale of what I recall from my training.

Remember, at least one person posting to this thread thought the lady in Atlanta should have fired a warning shot for the benefit of the armed home invader towering over her.

Donn
02-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Why is Donn providing a sarcastic smilie...

The aggressor sets the timing.

Sarcasm because Ian has a silly statistic for every possible purpose.

"The aggressor sets the timing" only if the cop's feet are bound in solidified concrete. Otherwise, the aggressor only sets the start.

Paul Pless
02-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Edit: I know it was a joke... But still love the fact that the UK police do not carry fire-arms as a matter of course. One of the last police forces to not carryDo the Dutch still not carry? Last time I was in Holland the 'beat' cops did not carry firearms, nor did I notice much tactical gear. Refreshing. . .

I understand the need for cops in the States to wear vests, but the prevalence of combat type uniforms, combat boots, fighting gloves and tactical combat gear, worn on the person at all times is a major problem that I have with police in the United States.

Horace
02-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Sarcasm because Ian has a silly statistic for every possible purpose.Well, at least he sometimes draws silly conclusions from his statistics.

"The aggressor sets the timing" only if the cop's feet are bound in solidified concrete. Otherwise, the aggressor only sets the start.And that distinction of terminology is why so many of us 'writing' here need an editor. ;)

Dr.Spoke
02-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Do the Dutch still not carry? Last time I was in Holland the 'beat' cops did not carry firearms, nor did I notice much tactical gear. Refreshing. . .

I understand the need for cops in the States to wear vests, but the prevalence of combat type uniforms, combat boots, fighting gloves and tactical combat gear, worn on the person at all times is a major problem that I have with police in the United States.

That may well be the case... I only "know" that UK cops don't... Maybe many others also do not... But it seems to be fairly prevalent.
My first wifes father was a policeman here in sweden - when he started he carried a sword for protection.... Now THAT is a terrifying defence weapon!

Dr.Spoke
02-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Ya, well, modern cops don't carry swords because they just kain't cut it :)

Yepp! ;) Close quarters, in my day, I'd take my chances with somebody carrying a handgun... But a well handled sword is just scary - 3ft extra reach with a sharp blade! Scary just thinking about it

downthecreek
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Edit: I know it was a joke... But still love the fact that the UK police do not carry fire-arms as a matter of course. One of the last police forces to not carry

As far as I know, they don't want to either. They feel safer without.... :D

Dr.Spoke
02-22-2013, 11:24 AM
As far as I know, they don't want to either. They feel safer without.... :D

Indeed! :
"In 2010, following the serious injury of an unarmed officer in a knife attack, the chairman of the Police Memorial Trust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_Memorial_Trust), Michael Winner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Winner) stated that he had put up memorials to 44 officers and that he believed, "It is almost certain that at least 38 of those [Police Officers] would be alive had they been armed".[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_use_of_firearms_in_the_United_Kingdom#cite_ note-BBCpmt-12) In response, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation Peter Smyth said, "A lot of police officers don't want to be armed. We don't want a call to arms, I don't think that's necessary." "

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
02-22-2013, 11:31 AM
AMERICAN POLICE OFFICER:
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! 'click'...
(Sergeant arrives at scene later and remarks: 'Nice grouping.

This is especially true in Cleveland,Ohio.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/12/cleveland_police_shooting.html

David W Pratt
02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Actually, based on some notorious shoot outs in NYC, the likelihood is out of 12 shots, 11 would have missed

The Bigfella
02-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Sarcasm because Ian has a silly statistic for every possible purpose.

"The aggressor sets the timing" only if the cop's feet are bound in solidified concrete. Otherwise, the aggressor only sets the start.

On the first point, Donn.... you can call them silly if you like, but you've never been able to demonstrate them as wrong. Where's that leave you?

BrianW
02-22-2013, 08:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/Britian%20Vacation/bobbiesaremedtotheteeth.jpg

alvin greenwood
02-22-2013, 09:30 PM
speaking of. . ..

Well there are 4 Jehovah witness's, one pizza guy, 4 meter men, one census taker, 6 jealous husbands, A readers digest sweepstakes team, 1 lost tourist from NZ, The Swedish bikini team, 2 roofers that came to give a bid and Melie that have all been tossed off Ians porch.

Donn has only thrown off commies...

Larks
02-22-2013, 10:58 PM

Well there are 4 Jehovah witness's, one pizza guy, 4 meter men, one census taker, 6 jealous husbands, A readers digest sweepstakes team, 1 lost tourist from NZ, The Swedish bikini team, 2 roofers that came to give a bid and Melie that have all been tossed off Ians porch.

Donn has only thrown off commies...

For a bloke who's been here just on 2 months you sure know a lot about Ian......:rolleyes:

alvin greenwood
02-23-2013, 11:25 AM
For a bloke who's been here just on 2 months you sure know a lot about Ian......:rolleyes:.

I made a lot of it up.....

Larks
02-23-2013, 07:41 PM

I made a lot of it up.....

You'll fit right in here..

Canoeyawl
02-24-2013, 12:18 PM
I've had a guy at my front door grab a hatchet from behind his back and start to swing it. I grabbed his arm, over-powered him, threw him off my verandah and slammed the door.

Sheese, I would have let him finish the shingling job. That seems just a bit rude to me.

downthecreek
02-24-2013, 12:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/Britian%20Vacation/bobbiesaremedtotheteeth.jpg

Do you think anyone claims that UK police are never armed? Of course they are, in certain circumstances.

This is a bit like the clever fellows that are always reminding us that "free" health care isn't really "free". Well, DUH! :d

The Bigfella
02-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Sheese, I would have let him finish the shingling job. That seems just a bit rude to me.

Yeah, I suppose it was a bit rude. He was only ranting about killing my two teenage boys at the time. I guess that wasn't reason enough for me to tell him to "leave" or words to that effect. What'd set him off was he'd seen my eldest boy installing a stereo in his car... and Mr Drug-addled had had his car's stereo stolen not long before.... there's nothing for it I guess, but to go on a rampage with a hatchet.

I wonder what became of him? He'd come into money via a medical negligence claim.... and proceeded to convert the million dollars into chemical substances. He's long gone from around here.