PDA

View Full Version : Knud H. Reimers sailing yachts in US

inka
08-02-2001, 06:25 PM
Hi, i am looking for information about the Designer Knud H. Reimers (Danish, learned in Germany, worked in Sweden).
And in particular about yachts he designed that ended up in the US.
thanks

[This message has been edited by inka (edited 08-03-2001).]

Todd Bradshaw
08-02-2001, 06:41 PM
Check very old WoodenBoat articles for one called "The Timeless Tumlaren". Must have been 20 or more years ago. Beautiful boat.

Todd Bradshaw
08-02-2001, 08:22 PM
I checked the on-line index for old issues of WoodenBoat and if I read it right, it's in issue #19. As I remember, the Tumlaren is a very nice looking, slim 27' full-keel double-ender with a fractional Marconi sloop rig. It used metal frames and wooden planking. The article wasn't very long but had a couple of black and white photos and maybe a construction profile drawing. I saw one advertised in the WoodenBoat classifieds maybe eight years ago, so there is at least one in the U.S. That's about all I can remember, but it's been quite a while since that issue came out. Now if I could only remember my wife's birthday....

John B
08-02-2001, 10:54 PM
I always associate Reimers with square metre boats and the Tumlaren.Must be plenty of 30 squares in the states?
Not too many in this particular nook on the other side of the world but there are few designs which were heavily influenced by his approach. 2 of them , Ranger and Fidelis, are famous boats in NZ and Australia, both with highly respectable racing records. There is a lovely 30 sq m in the Bay of Islands north of Auckland (NZ) named "Reimers" for obvious reasons.
Ranger....
http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001017.html

ahp
08-03-2001, 08:33 AM
Inka,

I am a voluteer at the Museum of Yachting, Newport, RI. We have two 30 Square Meters, "Oreole" designed by LFH, which we sail, and "Cythera" designed by Knud Reimers, which is slowly undergoing restoration. When finished we will will probably sell it.

Good luck,
Art Pierson

inka
08-21-2001, 08:16 PM
Thanks, Guys, i got the tumlaren article, and i found actually another helpful article about restauring composit construction boats in a later issue. Still, if anyone has more info, some idea how the boats got here and tips and experience restauring. i'd love to talk/mail...

fair&fair
11-10-2001, 06:21 PM
There are quite a few Knud Riemers boats kicking around the states, mist notably a few gorgeous 30 sq meter boats. One of the most interesting designs that I've seen is a beautiful old motor sailor in Manchester Massachusetts. I forget the name of the boat, but the boat is absolutely gorgeous, and the owners have done an excellent restoration job. The neat thing about the boat is that Reimers is always associated with long, narrow and incredibly sexy boats, but this boat is stout and sturdy as a motor sailor is, but it is of course a very pretty boat with ample amounts of wood. A recent issue if Yachting World had a couple of similer Reimers designs in the classifieds. In any case, if you're in Manchester, the boat is always parked on the front dock at Manchester Marine
Cheers
Eli

Ariane
12-14-2001, 07:06 PM
I believe one of our members has a Reimers design. If you look at the photos on our website, check the boat named Eclipse. I don't have an email for the owner yet, but I'll try to ask him if he has info.

www.mastermariners.org (http://www.mastermariners.org)

Nicholas Carey
12-17-2001, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by inka:
i am looking for information about the Designer Knud H. Reimers...in particular about yachts he designed that ended up in the US.
thanks

BIJOU II -- out of Bainbridge Island, Washington -- is a Knud Reimers designed 30 square metre yacht, but fairly new construction -- 80's I believe.

Bayboat
12-18-2001, 11:02 PM
There are a few 22-squares and at least one 30-square in Chicago, and there are two 22-squares in Milwaukee and, last I heard, one in Green Bay. In a former reincarnation I had a Reimers 22-square named "Elite" on San Francisco Bay. Sailing in an ebb-tide slop with the usual westerly wind was something else. She went through the waves instead of over them, and more than once I'd look forward from the helm and see nothing but heads, shoulders and the rig, the rest being under water.

Don Z.
12-19-2001, 08:53 PM
Not wood... but there's a Swede 55 over in West River, MD...

True Love
12-21-2001, 07:33 PM
"Trident" is a big, beautiful Reimers 22 Square Meter in Chicagoland - she's 41'5" and is for sale.