PDA

View Full Version : Lew, Lindy

Paul Pless
02-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Well I missed a bit of the action here as I was called out to pick up the missus. She was in a wreck, ten cars. The Miata is toast I'm afraid. Totaled. She has a nasty bruise on her chin where the air bag impacted her. I'd just put fresh tires on the Mazda and after days of consideration, we came to the conclusion we'd hold off on a new car purchase, but now that's not a choice. Wife's beat up, nasty contusion from that airbag bite , but seems OK in all the important parts, although she will have to see the doc in the AM. I guess we will be buying a new car after all.

Sorry to hear this. How is your lovely wife today?

John of Phoenix
02-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Best wishes for Lindy and so grateful it wasn't worse. Hope you heal quickly and well. (Rum is a hugely underrated anesthetic. :) )

Too bad about the Miata.

Ian McColgin
02-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Better the airbag bite than the alternative. Glad injuries appear light and certainly hope that's what doc visit confirms. Now you get the nightmare of insurance claims. You'll be glad to know that scientists believe they have discovered a real hangover cure so . . .

G'luck

Mrleft8
02-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Damn!.....

Where was Bernstein? ;) :D Glad Lindy's OK!

BrianW
02-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Oh man! That's a bit scary!

So glad that Lindy is doing well, and thank goodness for airbags! Hope the doctors visit is uneventful.

I don't recall the Miata, but do recall some fun rides in the Golf! ;)

Tell her we're sending out best wishes for a quick recovery.

Gerarddm
02-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Quell drag! Speedy recovery for her, and a multiairbagged car for you both.

Garret
02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Damn! Our best to her as well.

Durnik
02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Lew,

Hope Lindy is & stays well!

enjoy
bobby

Tom Montgomery
02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Ouch!

I too was once in an accident that totaled my car and in which the airbag injured me. It banged up my chin and took a big chunk of flesh out of the underside of my right forearm. I suffered some post traumatic stress after that one. But over time my anxiousness and hyper alertness passed.

Best wishes to Lindy for a quick recovery both physical and psychological.

TomF
02-21-2013, 12:38 PM
yikes!! Please give Lindy my best wishes too ... nasty stuff.

David G
02-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Lew - Best wishes to Lindy. Here's hoping for a fast, full, recovery! The Jetta diesel wagon was one of our top 2 choices back when my sweetie was shopping for a car. She chose the Honda Fit... mostly because she wanted to keep her payments as low as possible - but we both really liked the TDI.

Joe (SoCal)
02-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Lew, give her our best, sending good thoughts.

johnw
02-21-2013, 02:20 PM
I hope Lindy is well, I know those air bags can make all the difference.

Bobcat
02-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Ouch! How all is going as well as it can. Airbags are good things

Keith Wilson
02-21-2013, 02:36 PM
OMG, very sorry to hear that! I hope she's OK, only a bit stiff and bruised.

Nanoose
02-21-2013, 02:38 PM
So sorry, Lindy . . . but I am sure Lew is an attentive nurse.
Blessings to you both.
D&D

John B
02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Hell..
You know Lew , we have some friends that just have all sorts of rubbish happening to them and I'm coming to believe their decision making processes are faulty.
This is the opposite , that car and airbag, fitting those tyres when needed , thats the sort of thing that makes the difference between a problem and a tragedy eh, that and competence as a driver....but you know all that.

Speedy recovery and best wishes,... and you get to go shopping when its all settled down.

Ted Hoppe
02-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Sorry to hear this. Such an impact is hard on a body and mind. Such things have lingering consequences. Hope things are better and she bounces back without too much inconvenience or delay.

Maybe the next car should be more solid, higher profile-visible and gas sipping practical - all better, safer in my opinion. My wife recently was in a three car sandwich freeway accident in a rental Honda Fit while on business in Chicago. The Fit was totaled but thank god she and her partner had little trauma. The impact was only slightly above 30 miles per hour, bags all deployed and the car compressed as it should have leaving only the passagers safe.

George Jung
02-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Glad the missus is alright. The car is replaceable. I'll take that trade-off any ol' time.

skuthorp
02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Crikey Lew, glad to hear Lindy is OK. Stuff like this just comes out of the blue just when we think we are in control.

BETTY-B
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear Lindy was hurt. Here's to a speedy new car...I mean speedy recovery! :D

Robbie 2
02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Hope things turn out ok for Lindy and you all.

McMike
02-21-2013, 05:15 PM
I hope lindy is okay. Scary sh17...

L.W. Baxter
02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
I am praying that the hurt remains nothing more than a bruise on the chin.

Vince Brennan
02-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Add our well-wishes to the lady!

Stiletto
02-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Best wishes Lew.

bamamick
02-21-2013, 07:27 PM
I am terribly sorry to hear this, and please give my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mrs. Lew.

Mickey Lake

Duncan Gibbs
02-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Glad Lindy is reasonably unscathed (it seems). Rather the car cop it than her. Best wishes!

C. Ross
02-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Lew...yikes, hope no other side effects. Love to Lindy!

Concordia...41
02-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Just popped by and saw this. Hope all is well!

Hugs from Florida
-M

StevenBauer
02-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Feel better, Lindy!

Bill Thompson
02-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Just saw this news, Lew. Good news that Lindy is basically ok - those Miatas are tough little cars.

elf
02-22-2013, 12:53 AM
Give Lindy hugs from me, but make sure they're not as ferocious as the one from the airbag! Things like this really upset the body for a quite a while after - the adrenaline sure does hang around. Make sure you let us know if the Doc says she OK.

love to you both.

Larks
02-22-2013, 01:54 AM
Lew was going to post a thread about this and a pic of the damage, but it seems he may be otherwise distracted, in his absence though (to put minds at rest if restful minds are required...), here was his update on the American dodgy beer thread:

We had a nice Chard I bought for her a few days ago, popped the cork and celebrated her good fortune at walking away from it. I'll put up the lousy i Phone night shots in another thread. Thanks for your good wishes and I'll pass them along. She was a bit depressed later in the evening, but happy to be among the walking. The photos tell the story, except I don't have a shot showing the rear end which was also crunched. I don't think there's a useful panel left in the car.
She was the meat in the middle of the car sandwich

Lew Barrett
02-22-2013, 02:02 AM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/Miata4_zpsdd42d796.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/miata3_zpsa3bfe8a8.jpg

Sorry I didn't have a chance to check in today, I was really busy. I didn't realize, even though Paul contacted me, that there was a post on this. I didn't put two and two together to realize this had gone WBF "viral." :D

The lousy night shot iPhone files are all I have at the moment (not mine). They don't show the back of the car, which was pushed forward a bit.

She's just fine. She has a nice bruise on her chin from the airbag deployment, but she went to work today. The photos don't do the damage justice, though I haven't actually seen the thing in daylight. It crumpled quite well and protected her, but it's gone, front and rear both accordianed. She loved that car, but I don't think we'll be getting another Miata, though I (and she) would consider another Mazda. It's a shame. I had suggested she get something else as she'd taken on a new job in her field (CDP) and needed something with a little more room, and I though it was time she get a new car. She decided she could use our SUV when she needed something bigger because she liked the Miata so I just put a new top and tires on it as she wanted to keep it. :( It was very low miles and absolutely minty. I'll miss it too as I liked to drive it when she wasn't using it.

She was the third car in a multi-car accident. The first guy pulled some kind of stunt (not clear to me or anybody else) and the second car hit the first one. The first car illegally left the scene of the accident and was not ID'd, which is a huge drag of course. Lindy hit the third car and a couple more piled in behind her. They were all on a the big First Ave. S drawbridge. It had been raining, and of course the draw bridge is a metal grate, so no brakes for anybody. Lindy told me she hit the car in front of her at speed and quite hard and didn't expect to walk away from it at that brief moment when everything is rushing through your brain, so she feels extremely lucky and happy all told. Who would argue?

When I drove down to pick her up and saw the car, I was amazed how together the passenger compartment was considering how the rest of the car looked.

The following photo (the only one I took personally) gives you an idea how chaotic it was, and this is after a couple of the cars had already been towed off.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/Miata2_zps638bf867.jpg

hokiefan
02-22-2013, 02:09 AM
Glad she's OK. Best wishes to you both.

Cheers,

Bobby

Spin_Drift
02-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Lindy, so sorry that you got hurt. Wishing you will have a speedy recovery.

Hugs and love to you both from us.

Thanks Paul, for posting this.

Lew Barrett
02-22-2013, 02:23 AM
Oh, and thanks to all of you for your kind wishes, always appreciated.

One more thing I should mention. Some of you may know we have a little "hotel" here, really just a nicely furnished apartment on our property that we let short term as a vacation rental. Mostly the people who come (from all over the world) are here for a week or two and it's really a fun little business, and quite pleasant, especially in the summer. A month or so ago, I was contacted by a wonderful family in Eastern Washington who needed to be in Seattle longer term as the papa bear has contracted a very serious and somewhat rare cancer (multiple myeloma) and needed a nice place to stay during his treatment. We were available for the full term they needed, which is amazing as we're usually booked months in advance. They arrived a few days ago and it is really quite a battle they are going through. Beautiful people, he's been a fireman for thirty years, quite handsome, full of life and his wife is is a gem. Lindy and I are are very familiar with this disease as you may recall that my son-in-law passed from it in 2011.

On the way home from the accident, Lindy commented to me that normally an accident like this would have devastated her for days, but that taken in perspective, it was quite literally just a bump in the road compared to the things so many people go through. I thought so too and responded that we'd had an easier day than Jodi and Foster did. It's only been a few days since they checked in but we're already very fond of them.

Life is full of surprises, not all pleasant, but some good often can be found if you look hard enough, and just as frequently the things we think are so terrible are really not that bad if only you can maintain your perspective.

seanz
02-22-2013, 02:28 AM
Best wishes from us here.

Larks
02-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Sorry Lew, you must have been composing that as I jumped in with your C&P.

Please wish Foster all the very best, my father succumbed to the same cancer and other complications a few years ago, the anniversary of that coming up on 1 April, so I guess you tend to feel a bit more aware when something like that has a link close to home.

What on earth must you have thought when you got a booking from a couple claiming to be "Jodi and Foster"?

P.L.Lenihan
02-22-2013, 04:44 AM
Late again....scary close call for both of you, Mr.Barrett...I sincerely hope your wife mends well quickly,both inside and out!!

Peter

bob winter
02-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Good that the accident wasn't worse and hope for complete recovery. Shame about totalling the car after new tires but such is life.

I don't envy Foster. That is a nasty cancer. I know one survivor who is in remission but who knows how long that will last. Too often remission ends.

The Bigfella
02-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Hey Lew.....

... that'll buff out.

Lew Barrett
02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
What on earth must you have thought when you got a booking from a couple claiming to be "Jodi and Foster"?

I thought....."Foster....Australian for beer!" :D

Paul Pless
02-22-2013, 11:52 AM
its never gonna end. . .

Garret
02-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Were you wanting/expecting it to?

Lew Barrett
02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
its never gonna end. . .

:D

Were you wanting/expecting it to?
One of the characteristic of the bilge is that we beat every single topic to death, but never give them the courtesy of a decent burial!

Garret
02-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Well - throwing computers into water gets expensive! (I presumed that the only appropriate burial here was at sea...)

:p

Mrleft8
02-22-2013, 05:48 PM
I was thinking "Silence of the Clams"...... ;)

alvin greenwood
02-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Lew im glad you and your wife are OK but the important thing is that your daughter is OK.

I still am selling a nice jewish boy with a handsome income, house, bigboat,duck boat, truck, 243 Winchester, purebred Lab and purebred jewish Mom..

lets talk we can remove the Christmas tree, heck i will take down the SP calendar if you come over with a suitable dowry.:d

Lew Barrett
02-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Dear Alvin,

This sounds good as daughter is looking for ambitious, talented Jewish husband (or one with Jewish Mother) with good income and boat with motor. Please send picture of boat and motor!

alvin greenwood
02-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Dear Alvin,

This sounds good as daughter is looking for ambitious, talented Jewish husband (or one with Jewish Mother) with good income and boat with motor. Please send picture of boat and motor!.

LOL Good one!

Larks
02-22-2013, 11:05 PM
I thought....."Foster....Australian for beer!" :D

Poor bugger, doomed for a life of disrespect from berth |:(.......though I take it that it's quite a common name in the US?

Lew Barrett
02-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Poor bugger, doomed for a life of disrespect from Perth..........Let the "disresepecting" begin!

(I hate the word "disrespect used as a verb, but sometimes it just fits :D)

George Jung
02-23-2013, 10:32 AM
What's "disresepecting", Lew? Sounds painful!

Lew Barrett
02-23-2013, 11:54 AM
What's "disresepecting", Lew? Sounds painful!

It is a word, made up by those with no regard for the proper use of language to express the alleged behavior (initiated by the object of the sentence) before a cat fight. Alternate forms include:
"dissed" (has moderate useability in some contexts).
"disrespected" (used as a verb or adverb), completely useless.

It joins with "awesome," yo' mamma, and a number of others as one of the least meaningful utterances that one nonetheless hears frequently employed today.

Mrleft8
02-23-2013, 12:06 PM
I think you included an extra "E" in that word, Lew...... In other words, you have disrespected the word "disrespecting" by spelling it "disresepecting"....
I know you're under a lot of stress here, so I won't sick Jamie the spelling police on you this time....:D

George Jung
02-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Details, Lew. Words matter! :P

Garret
02-23-2013, 01:50 PM
I think you included an extra "E" in that word, Lew...... In other words, you have disrespected the word "disrespecting" by spelling it "disresepecting"....
I know you're under a lot of stress here, so I won't sick Jamie the spelling police on you this time....:D

Ummm... Wouldn't the spelling police change/correct that to "sic"?

JimD
02-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Glad to hear she's ok.

seanz
02-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Poor bugger, doomed for a life of disrespect from berth |:(.......though I take it that it's quite a common name in the US?

Terribley common.......

:D:D:D

Lew Barrett
02-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Mea maxima culpa

Garret
02-23-2013, 03:50 PM
You're getting a Maxima to replace the Miata? I don't believe it.... ;)

johnw
02-23-2013, 03:54 PM

And it's a culpa instead of a convertible.

Lew Barrett
02-24-2013, 12:01 AM

Done deal, car bought today. Pictures tomorrow. It is an anti-Miata.

Paul Pless
02-24-2013, 12:03 AM
It is an anti-Miata.a wagon then, no doubt. . .

Garret
02-24-2013, 12:07 AM
It is an anti-Miata.

Don't you mean it's powered by Anti-Miata?

Sounds quite futuristic!

George Jung
02-24-2013, 09:39 AM
VW Jetta TDI wagon with leather interior and sunroof.... *ahhhh* love that car (and my daughter wants one)

Lew Barrett
02-24-2013, 12:21 PM
VW Jetta TDI wagon with leather interior and sunroof.... *ahhhh* love that car (and my daughter wants one)

Astute call.

Here's the Happy Ending:

No grass grows under the feet of people on a mission. Although, they failed to detail the ER very well and there were a load of pine needles there when I lifted the bonnet this morning. It will be noted and returned to the dealer for an engine detailing, though I vacuumed out all the loose stuff when I saw it.
It does not spoil the overall effect which is quite sumptuous overall.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/Jetta2_zps57571f7f.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/Jetta_zpsa7cef42a.jpg

I'm surprised I'd ever have bought a Diesel car, but this thing is so refined and comfortable....

We struggled over whether to get the black interior or the biscuit, but I liked the lighter color in this car, although almost every car I've ever owned has had a dark interior.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/InteriorJetta_zpsa0c68a2d.jpg

The other option was this Stutz Blackhawk I stumbled across while out riding a few days ago. About the same price, but the warranty wasn't as good.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/Blackhawk_zps7455073a.jpg

About the TDI, smooth, responsive beyond expectations (good torque) quiet, clatter free and it is more fun to be running down the road at 70 MPH and see the instantaneous fuel consumption reading 58 MPG.

George Jung
02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
I showed the pics to swmbojr #1 - she approves! Talk to you in, say, three years? (Nice car - I'll be interested hearing mileage in a few months.)

Lew Barrett
02-24-2013, 01:24 PM
I showed the pics to swmbojr #1 - she approves! Talk to you in, say, three years? (Nice car - I'll be interested hearing mileage in a few months.)

I'm told by other owners these have a long break-in cycle to get the best economy. It should be just at it's prime around then.

I thought the white was fetching, don't you, GJ? Now, bear in mind that Lindy had her Miata for thirteen years and was digging in for the next year or two. We consider them new cars until they are 12 years old. :D

Larks
02-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Very nice Lew, but the steering wheel seems to be on the wrong side....

Lew Barrett
02-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Very nice Lew, but the steering wheel seems to be on the wrong side....

I agree. It should be on the side I'll have to sit on! Instead, it's in front of my wife. There's something terribly wrong about that!

(Reality: I usually get to drive her car when we are using it together :))

We put 100 miles or so on it today as a shakedown. Lovely place to be. The bluetooth feature is a lot more fun, comprehensive and more useful than I'd thought it would be. Linking your phone accesses your music library, and when you take a call, you push a button and you are talking through the car's audio system. It's sort of old hat for people who have purchased nicer cars in the last couple of years, but it was like magic to us. The thing rides like.......a German car. Steering (and brakes) are number than I like, but response and handling are excellent. The motor has enough mid range grunt to never feel like you are lacking, and the whole experience is very refined.

If you do happen to mash the wrong button, the car talks to you and asks you what you want in that SIRI voice. That could get old fast. It took me some button mashing to figure out how to shut her up. Lotta controls and radio stuff and....well......it's layered.

We'll see how it holds up, but I hear good things from owners.

Lew Barrett
02-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Don't you mean it's powered by Anti-Miata?

Sounds quite futuristic!

I just got this! :D

Garret
02-24-2013, 09:10 PM
You know me well enough to know I can do obscure with the best of 'em!

Nice call on the TDI wagon. One may well be in my future, but my Passat just keeps on going.

carioca1232001
02-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Oh, and thanks to all of you for your kind wishes, always appreciated...........

.......Life is full of surprises, not all pleasant, but some good often can be found if you look hard enough, and just as frequently the things we think are so terrible are really not that bad if only you can maintain your perspective.

You and your family have a philosophical and humanistic view of life´s trials and tribulations, which is very positive not only for healing the hurts, but also for facing unexpected challenges.

May you all be blessed !

Wishing your wife Lindy a speedy recovery

Lew Barrett
02-24-2013, 11:07 PM
You and your family have a philosophical and humanistic view of life´s trials and tribulations, which is very positive not only for healing the hurts, but also for facing unexpected challenges.

May you all be blessed !

Wishing your wife Lindy a speedy recovery

Thank you. That is very kind of you to say, my friend afar. When we walk away from a potentially horrible disaster and all it cost was money, there is always something good to find in the outcome.

Haven't owned a white car before. Boy, does it get dirty fast! Can't say I'm surprised (but it's surprising)!

Ted Hoppe
02-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Showed your TDI pictures to my wife... we are scheduled to test drive one this as we are turning in her Volkswagen bug on a lease in two weeks.

Always a few curves behind you as always you seem to know the way.

Lew Barrett
02-24-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't know about that. We went around the bend (in front of you) and crashed out!

But I'll say this, Ted. I had gone through this exercise a couple of months ago when we thought we'd sell her MX5 and get something more practical for her new job. She just couldn't do it (sell her car) and I'd thought maybe we'd get something later and possibly even keep the Mazda. That didn't work out, but we only came to the conclusion (keep the car) after we did all the shopping. Prius, Mazda 3, Outback and Forrester, and of course the Jetta which exists more or less like the Miata in a class of one. That is, in the US market. Europeans and Asians probably have a broader selection in this type of car.

I thought then that the Jetta was the most interesting car of the bunch, had the nicest dynamics mixed in with the promise of low depreciation and great fuel economy. The least impressive car of the lot (for an enthusiast) was the Prius, but a base Forrester, while it has a lot of utility and you know it is sensible, is not a driver's car. The VW is convincing qualitatively and entertaining to drive.

So the VW and we were able to move quickly because it was just a matter of finding a deal, which was easy.
I think you'll be impressed.

Flying Orca
02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Glad to see everything has ended well. Y>

John of Phoenix
02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
I drove a VW Passat wagon for many years. Reliable, quite luxurious, very versatile and for a wagon, fun to drive. I cruised at 130 MPH for a long stretch on a Las Vegas trip and it was like sitting in the living room - smooth, stable and remarkably quiet. I expect you'll enjoy that German engineering as they say nice things about the TDI technology.

George Jung
02-25-2013, 07:22 PM
12 years? I don't think swmbojr can wait that long, Uncle Lew!

My SIL is looking at converting his Mercedes sedan to either natural gas or propane. Conversion would cost between $500/$1500, depending on bells and whistles. Propane is about 30% less than regular, NG is about half. Interesting to consider.

S/V Laura Ellen
02-25-2013, 07:46 PM
The TDI are great but have one outstanding problem. The dual mass flywheel has a habit of coming apart and taking out the engine block and transmission housing. Big dollar repairs. Talk to the salesman and get an agreement that they will cover these repairs at their expense if they do happen.

I assume that you have a 10 year rust warranty with the car. The front fenders have a nasty rust problem. Typically VW will replace the fenders at the first sign of rust.

BTW, I know this from experience on my '06 Jetta TDI. Still a great car though, even with these issues. Comfortable and will cruise forever on a tank of fuel.

Lew Barrett
02-25-2013, 09:02 PM
The TDI are great but have one outstanding problem. The dual mass flywheel has a habit of coming apart and taking out the engine block and transmission housing. Big dollar repairs. Talk to the salesman and get an agreement that they will cover these repairs at their expense if they do happen.

I assume that you have a 10 year rust warranty with the car. The front fenders have a nasty rust problem. Typically VW will replace the fenders at the first sign of rust.

BTW, I know this from experience on my '06 Jetta TDI. Still a great car though, even with these issues. Comfortable and will cruise forever on a tank of fuel.

I hesitate to admit it, but I was offered an attractive deal on an extended warranty and I took it. With our habit of keeping cars for so long, it made sense to me. I am familiar with the dual mas flywheel issue. With it's replacement comes a "free" clutch. Not so familiar with the rust problems on the MKV and MKVI cars. I think that's not a concern on these later VWs. VW/Audi have been very diligent in the last three or four years in addressing a few of their quality concerns, and my dealer here is absolutely first rate. Family business that has been in the neighborhood for 50 years.

By the way, my E39 540 "ate" a flywheel about 6 months after I got it. It's a pattern with me.

If all else fails, Washington State has among the most progressive consumer protection laws in the USA as well.