PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on designer Tim Halliday ~1927

jimmy
02-05-2002, 10:36 PM
I'm looking for info on the designer of a boat I am planning on buying. The information that the owner has given me is that she was designed by Tim Halliday (I guessed at the spelling) and built in 1927. I haven't heard of this designer and haven't been able to find anything on him. The boat is a 32 foot wooden sailboat that is currently located at Vancouver Island BC, Canada. If anybody could help me, I would appreciate it. Thanks

plimsol
02-11-2002, 10:53 PM
Jimmy,
Halliday I believe is a designer from Vancouver B.C. He may have gone to Los Angeles in the 1930's. Try either the Victoria or Vancouver Maritime Museums. I recollect that he primarily designed fishboats. I appologise for being so vague, it is a name I have run across while doing research on Puget Sound naval architects.
I will ask a source and see if I can come up with anything definite.
Best wishes.

imported_Jimmy
02-20-2002, 10:41 AM
Thanks, hopefully that will help. I am in the process of buying a boat he designed, a beautiful 32' wooden sailboat, and I would like to know as much about the history as possible. Any other information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

imported_Jimmy
01-30-2003, 06:44 PM
In case anyone is intersted, since I first posted this question I have found out a bit more about this designer. First, his name is Tom Halliday (not Tim). He was originally from England where he spent most of his professional career before coming to Vancouver, BC to "retire". He designed the locally famous St. Roch, the RCMP boat that sailed the NW passage as well as lots of sailboats including several one-design classes for the Vancouver Yacht club. If anybody out there has anymore information on him I would love to hear about it. Thanks.

[ 01-30-2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Jimmy ]

Ariel
01-31-2003, 12:29 PM
Jimmy, if you can post some pictures--would love to see your boat....

imported_Jimmy
02-03-2003, 07:40 PM
There are a few photos at:
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/ealasaid/