Georgia Legislators Want To Change 17th Amendment, End U.S. Senate Elections

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wardd
    • Sep 2009

Georgia Legislators Want To Change 17th Amendment, End U.S. Senate Elections

the party that keeps on giving

• Ian McColgin
    • Apr 1999

Re: Georgia Legislators Want To Change 17th Amendment, End U.S. Senate Elections

It plays nicely with the Republicans' gerrymandering of every state they can to maintain control even where they do not have a majority of their state's citizens.

Comment

• htom
      Member #919
      • Dec 1999

Re: Georgia Legislators Want To Change 17th Amendment, End U.S. Senate Elections

I have no objection to a state deciding to choose its senators by popular election. Or one of them. I object to the Federal government making that choice for them.
      Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Comment

• wardd
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by htom
        I have no objection to a state deciding to choose its senators by popular election. Or one of them. I object to the Federal government making that choice for them.
        the federal government doesn't make amendments to the constitution

Comment

• htom
          Member #919
          • Dec 1999

Originally posted by wardd
          the federal government doesn't make amendments to the constitution
          Fearing a runaway Constitutional Convention, Congress offered an amendment to the states.

Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Comment

• wardd
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by htom
            Fearing a runaway Constitutional Convention, Congress offered an amendment to the states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevente...s_Constitution
            did the states approve it?

Comment

Working...