PDA

View Full Version : My body ...

brad9798
02-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Since last we 'met,' I have dropped about 30 pounds, initially ...

But I have gained back 20 pounds ... but in a good way ... muscle

My pants all fall off of me ... and my shirts are ALL too small now ...

I told my wife to get me a band-aid the other night ... she asked why ... I told her I was cut! ;)

I am in the best shape now since I was 21 ... and I am 43 now!

So that is one thing I have been doing.

My waist has gone from 40 to 34 ... my shirts have gone from 16.5 x 34 to well ... 17 x 34 ... and I am strong as a horse.

So, I am kind of proud of that!!!!

Paul Pless
02-19-2013, 10:17 AM
good job

how'd you do it?

what kinda diet?

what kinda exercise?

brad9798
02-19-2013, 10:22 AM
I eat nothing but meat, cheese, and dairy products ... weird, I know. But I walk miles a day ... ride my bike miles a day ... and lift about 2000 pounds a day in weights ... not all at once, of course! ;) Don't drink ... anymore ...

I actually eat between 3-5000 calories a day ... but I am working out for several hours a day.

Peach
02-19-2013, 10:37 AM
It's your basic low glycemic diet, similar to the Paleo or Primal diet. This type of diet relies on protein and fat, with few or no carbs. It takes some getting used to, but it's an effective diet for weight loss without hunger pangs. Energy levels are more stable because there are no spikes in blood sugar levels and insulin production.

Gerarddm
02-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Good on ya, but I hope you are not gorging on red meat. Turkey or chicken, even pork, is much healthier for you.

brad9798
02-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Pork is my meat of choice ... although I am making chicken quarters with carrots, spinach leaves and sharp cheddar tonight ...

Joe (SoCal)
02-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Good on you brad, and good to see you back.

I'm 48, moving closer to 50 every day, and I'm still keeping as fit as when I was in my 30's
172 lbs this morning. 34 inch waist, working on my spring six pack abs lol.

My routine has changed over the last 20 years. I used to be a bit of a gym rat lots of heavy lifting hours in the gym. It gets boring and not to mention a bit boring, did I mention boring. I pick things up I put them down, more like indecision that working out :)

So now I do P90X or a P90X type of routeing. Every day I do 2 sets of 15 pull up's / Chin up's / reverse chin up's / Bicept pull up's. Followed by one set of 100 push ups then 2 sets of 50. Followed by 100 sit up then 2 sets of 50 ( feel the burn ) I hike and bike ride or work around the house for cardio.

Not bad for nearly 50 years old

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/549ded25.jpg

Having a GF with six pack abs and who can keep up with me and pass me in most sports doesnt hurt the motivation ;)

Good luck, keep it up.

brad9798
02-19-2013, 11:23 AM
You look GREAT, JOE!!! I am not far behind ...

I am in the 190 pound range ... which is called 'overweight' by US standards ... but I have to say that I am feeling good ... and looking nearly as good as you in your photo! Not quite where you are ... but what a difference since I started making a concerted effort last summer!

I have a buddy doing the P90X ... what that is good stuff!!!

Joe (SoCal)
02-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Brad I dont know what you're previous life was before but I've always been into fitness and that early start is a life saver. I've had bouts where I gave it up for a year or so and started to feel not myself and picked back up again. Having good muscle memory is key. Especially now as I get older. I can still seem to bounce back better than most people just starting out. The key for me is not just getting the 1-2 hrs in a day but KEEPING it up doing it EVERY DAY year in and year out. Diet becomes a bit more important at my age and I try to eat healthy and actually eat far less then I did in my 20's. But the main thing is making it a part of your life and not something you suffer through just to get to a certain weight then you've crossed the finish line and give up.

Renee, is the same way. She's been into fitness her whole life. If she starts to feel soft in the winter she hits the gym, she's a big fan of bootcamp type classes where they use some weight resistance. She's 43 and in remarkable shape. Hell she's in better shape than most 20 year old's. But again she's made it part of her life so it takes only a little maintenance every day to keep it, and she has all that muscle memory. I't pisses off her friends that she jumps into the gym 3-4 days a week after taking a lil break and is beyond fit and they struggle to get BACK in shape or start to try to get into shape after years of sedentary life.

She's my inspiration ;)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/4411E7C9-A115-4D2A-B58A-9170659819CD-3088-00000212E3051927_zpsfadcd487.jpg

Besides shes the only girl that can keep up with me on a bike, and look this good ;)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/985044BF-681B-41FE-9B53-25873C46B8DA-3088-00000212E84640C5_zps77d767a9.jpg

Shang
02-19-2013, 11:43 AM
I blew out seventy-four birthday candles last month (gawd, what an effort!)
The man in the white coat advised me to stop trying to be the world's oldest living power-lifter. He said it wouldn't look good for him as my doctor if I was found dead on the bench.
Instead he suggested backing down a bit on the iron, but uping the reps.
I work out three or four sessions every week pumping iron and beating up on the heavy bag--feeling great! Everything else is pretty much what Brad said.

bob winter
02-19-2013, 01:16 PM
All that exercise can't be good for a person.

TomF
02-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Good job, Brad. Headed in a very fine direction.

S.V. Airlie
02-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Why did I expect this thread will be ummm graphic?

Rich Jones
02-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Congrads of the progress.
I lost 25 lbs about eight years ago thru diet and exercise. Since then, I've had two knee replacements and blown out my rotator cuff tendons and had to retire from a very physical job. Since then, I've put on 35 lbs and it's driving me nuts. I'm no longer physically capable of doing streneous weight reduction exercise and I just can't get into this dieting thing. I'm trying again now, but we'll see if my will power can hold out. I LOVE my unlimited snacks. Denying myself this pleasure pisses me off.

Larks
02-20-2013, 12:43 AM

I told my wife to get me a band-aid the other night ... she asked why ... I told her I was cut! ;)

My waist has gone from 40 to 34 ... my shirts have gone from 16.5 x 34 to well ... 17 x 34 ... and I am strong as a horse.

Something to be quite proud of indeed!! Good job mate and not something that's easily achieved by any means, I've no doubt that having achieved so much you have the motivation to keep it up!!!

Meli
02-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Well done.
to get into that type of mindset at your age is amazing.

usually when one hits sloth at 40 you sloth for life.

keep it up.

skuthorp
02-20-2013, 05:41 AM
I'm just on 70, fitter and stronger than I've been since around 40 I reckon. Paddling, swimming and a small farm in the bush is my reason. We eat mostly what's in the garden or the chook house, with an occasional foray into the supermarket so it's mostly vegetarian, by circumstance rather than ideology. Every now and again I break out and buy a big steak, but the prospect is often better than the eating, you just get out of the habit.

brad9798
02-21-2013, 10:47 PM
sku ... you have been an inspiration for me for many years ... as your are such a GREAT person ... maybe in a few months, I could compare myself with JCSOH! ... But I have a bit to go ... not too much, but a bit! :D

skipper68
02-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Since then, I've had two knee replacements and blown out my rotator cuff tendons and had to retire from a very physical job. Since then, I've put on 35 lbs and it's driving me nuts. I'm no longer physically capable of doing streneous weight reduction exercise and I just can't get into this dieting thing. I'm trying again now, but we'll see if my will power can hold out. I LOVE my unlimited snacks. Denying myself this pleasure pisses me off.

I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
This is what scares me.
I can do the Hi protein, low carb fine, but I could never do such workout's to need things replaced.
I want sweets of course, but I will make french toast scrambled eggs with carb free syrup. zero carb chocolate..
My things I love are actually zero foods, so I can be moving, stretching, without the damage to my joints. The heavy workouts wear them out after your 50.
I'm never deprived, so it's not a diet but a way of nutrition and fuel.
Tequila has no carb's- OF COURSE!:D
I have many great homemade recipes if anyone wants them.
I think where my luck comes in, is I have time to do homemade, instead of the crap sold in stores.

varadero
02-22-2013, 05:54 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/21/article-2282081-1829DF3C000005DC-47_634x631.jpg

No, that is not me, but I have now completed 12 months of 3/week gymn sessions and at 47 years old have returned to my 30" waist, 150 lbs, 5'7". I have not felt so good since my 30s. My demise was due to having two kids, now 8 and 6, Growing a business, and gettin middle aged. Now we are in recession, and the kids are less all consuming I have more time and it feels great. Hopefully when I am 60 I can post a photo like the guy above.

brad9798
02-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Not you ... well, okay ...

But I have become strong as an ox, these days!!! :D

brad9798
02-28-2013, 09:55 PM
I am the MAN ... at least in my house now!!! ;)

Bernadette
02-28-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm just on 70, fitter and stronger than I've been since around 40 I reckon. Paddling, swimming and a small farm in the bush is my reason. We eat mostly what's in the garden or the chook house, with an occasional foray into the supermarket so it's mostly vegetarian, by circumstance rather than ideology. Every now and again I break out and buy a big steak, but the prospect is often better than the eating, you just get out of the habit.

jeff, the healthy living you do produces not only a healthy body but a healthy mind. too many people who hit late 60's start to wallow and wade around in self loathing. their minds also become festering pools of denial and loathing. alebit, subtly encroaching on their lives. you my friend, have the spring and zest of a youthful life well and truly in hand.

brad9798
03-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Now ... I just need to get some glasses ... suddenly my vision has become 'old!'

htom
03-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Well done!

brad9798
03-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks, htom!!!

But I STILL need to go get some glasses ... ugh!!! :(

Vince Brennan
03-08-2013, 10:23 PM
http://www.earthfitnessgym.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/some_motivation_required_exercise.png

Chris Coose
03-09-2013, 05:40 AM
I eat nothing but meat, cheese, and dairy products ... weird, I know.

That is called the Cancer Invitational Diet.

PeterSibley
03-09-2013, 05:57 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/21/article-2282081-1829DF3C000005DC-47_634x631.jpg

No, that is not me, but I have now completed 12 months of 3/week gymn sessions and at 47 years old have returned to my 30" waist, 150 lbs, 5'7". I have not felt so good since my 30s. My demise was due to having two kids, now 8 and 6, Growing a business, and gettin middle aged. Now we are in recession, and the kids are less all consuming I have more time and it feels great. Hopefully when I am 60 I can post a photo like the guy above.

I'm 63 and I don't want a body like the guy in the photo, ever ! I think he's using a few strange substances and might have mood problems. Steroid rages aren't nice to be around.

I'm 156 pound , up from 150 when I was 35. Most of that 6 pound is around my waist but it's not too much, any more and I feel sluggish. I don't need any more muscle, I'm strong enough for my needs but I'm working on my cardio. Running is good for me as I have no problems with arthritis or bad knees, I'm getting better at it and as it's all hills here .... a long uphill is a good challenge.

35 years of 98% vegetarianism seems to have it's advantages.

brad9798
12-27-2014, 08:55 PM
BUMP!!

I just bought a pair of 34x30 jeans .. And I am 45!!!

LOL!

:)

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Good on you buddy. I wear a 36X33, but I should be a 33.

Glen Longino
12-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I wear 34X32 at 73 years, but I can tell I've aged 10 years in the past 2 years.
It just ain't fair I tell ya!:)
Growing older seems progressively more rapid.

Shang
12-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Quote Originally Posted by brad9798 View Post
I eat nothing but meat, cheese, and dairy products ... weird, I know.[/quote]

Uh, Brad, weird isn't the word for it...there's a guy in a dark suite waiting to pat you on the face with a shovel...

Lay off the meat, cheese, and dairy products, and subscribe to Vegetarian Times magazine.

Shang
12-27-2014, 10:11 PM

Hey, brad! Good for you!
Darn well you should be proud of that!
Tell us in detail what kind of training you're doing.

Feels good don't it!

(Anybody want to race me across the Atlantic on our rowing machines?)

brad9798
12-29-2014, 06:38 PM
I walk every morning for a couple of miles ... do weight reps in low weight amounts ... ride the bike for at least 10 miles ... still eat like like I said!

skuthorp
12-30-2014, 03:26 AM
Hi Brad, good to see you posting again, I wondered where you'd gotten to, exercising evidently!:d

At my bi-annual check up the doc. asked me if I was a vegetarian, based on my blood tests. I had to think about it for a bit and it turns out we virtually are because we eat out of the garden so much. I reckon I have a steak 4 times a year, the odd lamb chop, a chicken or bolognaise sauce occasionally and a lot of fish, mostly local.
My weight is stable, varies between 68 and 74 kilos at present but I am fairly active. Same as when I was round 20 I think.
But remembering both sides of the family the credit is mostly on the genes.

slug
12-30-2014, 03:40 AM
i drink beer and eat pizza to stay in top shape. Works for me.

i must admit that beer tends to bulk me up a bit. Gonna shift to half pints for the new year

http://s9.postimg.org/qxn6rqlan/image.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
subir imagenes gratis (http://postimage.org/index.php?lang=spanish)

JimD
12-30-2014, 10:20 AM
I eat nothing but meat, cheese, and dairy products ...

Is that sort of like eating nothing but meat and dairy products?

Paul Pless
12-30-2014, 10:33 AM
But I walk miles a day ...
ride my bike miles a day ...
Don't drink ... anymore ...

DUI???

stevebaby
12-30-2014, 10:43 AM

So, I am kind of proud of that!!!!.
I lost 22 Kg. in 3 weeks. It was easy.

Gerarddm
12-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Christmas week has seen me gain 4 pounds, jeez. Time to hit the gym again. Unfortunately with a suspect back and with a damaged left elbow I can't hit it as hard as I used to.

Still, movement is life. Sloth will kill you.

Paul Pless
12-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately with a suspect back and with a damaged left elbow I can't hit it as hard as I used to.
Hit the pool instead.

Hwyl
12-30-2014, 12:24 PM
BUMP!!

I just bought a pair of 34x30 jeans .. And I am 45!!!

LOL!

:)

If my waist measurement gets bigger than my leg measurement, I'd be pretty disappointed.

McMike
12-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Just got myself a rowing machine for Xmas, concept2 model D. Now all I have to do is use it . . .

John of Phoenix
12-30-2014, 12:34 PM
I lost 22 Kg. in 3 weeks. It was easy.Yeah, cancer is a helluva weight loss program. I don't recommend it, but it does work wonders. I dropped 35 pounds and (thankfully) kept it off.

Joe (SoCal)
12-30-2014, 12:44 PM
32x30 Jeans
50 Years old

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/E9A60249-BFBE-4E37-B491-8C22BAE21459_zpsjfcilez6.jpg (http://s107.photobucket.com/user/fosterhere/media/E9A60249-BFBE-4E37-B491-8C22BAE21459_zpsjfcilez6.jpg.html)

Jim Mahan
12-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Nearly a year since SHE and I began our paleo regimen with the twenty-one day sugar fast, and got rid of grain, leaving meat, fish, nuts, fungus, dairy and veggies and limited fruit and limited rice. We cheat for an indulgence every now and then, to have a pizza or something, like San Francisco sourdough with our clam chowder.

It's your basic low glycemic diet, similar to the Paleo or Primal diet. This type of diet relies on protein and fat, with few or no carbs. It takes some getting used to, but it's an effective diet for weight loss without hunger pangs. Energy levels are more stable because there are no spikes in blood sugar levels and insulin production.

I'll second about getting away from hunger and not missing snacking or crap for you good tasting habit food. An important thing for our decision was reading about what kind long term effect a diet rich in grain particularly wheat has on the whole physiology. Sugar and wheat can both be responsible for the kind of inflammation you may not notice but that may be damaging your various organs and systems, affecting brain health and all sorts of things important for good longevity. I any event I'm not ever going back to my previous food habits.

I walk at least 30 brisk minutes every day, in our flat neighborhood. (I have an 80lb, year old pup to keep me at pace.) I do daily dumbell exercises I invented for myself, to go with the situps, I did the last time I exercised away 30lbs. I'm five pounds over the most I lost, and holding steady since about May, not including the holiday indulgences, and I am still ten pounds under what my target was back when I was peeking over 200, I'm now 165. My 'new' jeans are 32 x 34, I'm 6'2" and 60yo. Except for needing reading glasses, hearing aids (thanks both to the service related hearing loss, and the VA for covering it), and an inhaler, I'm as good as ever and weigh less than I did when I got out of basic training 41 years ago. All my labs are good, all my screens are clean. I may get to die young and leave a good-looking corpse. Except for the wrinkly, blotchy, freckled skin mostly from my collar up, from being in the weather, smoking and drinking for, lo, these many decades.

brad9798
12-30-2014, 07:31 PM
You got me beat, Joe!!! :)

JimD- you got me! VERY funny!!! LOL.

Good to see you Skuthorp!!!

Uh ... and noooooooooo, PPless! NO DUI ... :rolleyes:

stevebaby
12-31-2014, 05:14 PM
Yeah, cancer is a helluva weight loss program. I don't recommend it, but it does work wonders. I dropped 35 pounds and (thankfully) kept it off.I think I put most of it straight back on.:D I was 97 kg. so I could afford to take SOME off but not that much! Fortunately my appetite returned when I went into the hospice. At the time I was beyond caring and just figured that this was it, I'm just going to get weaker and then I'm going to die...
but here I am. :D

CWSmith
12-31-2014, 05:21 PM
http://s9.postimg.org/qxn6rqlan/image.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
subir imagenes gratis (http://postimage.org/index.php?lang=spanish)

Holy cr@p, please tell me this has been photoshopped!

Nanoose
12-31-2014, 10:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by brad9798: "I eat nothing but meat, cheese, and dairy products ... weird, I know."

Uh, Brad, weird isn't the word for it...there's a guy in a dark suite waiting to pat you on the face with a shovel...

Lay off the meat, cheese, and dairy products, and subscribe to Vegetarian Times magazine.
What about the Inuit?

purri
01-03-2015, 05:53 AM
^ I thought the term referred to an elderly female hangperson.