X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meli
    Banned
    • Nov 2010

Email blacklists

If i select a message and blacklist. Will the sender know he or she is blacklisted?
    I assume to blacklist means I wont get emails from that person.

And how come, with all todays tech wizzo stuff. Telecomunications companies cant seemingly block calls from any number you nominate?

seems odd.
    Last edited by Meli; 02-17-2013, 05:23 AM.
  • Ian McColgin
    • Apr 1999

Re: Email blacklists

Actually, depending on your email service, there are ways to do just that. It's usually an add-on to the spam filtre and comes down to letting through emails from addresses you approve on a list, totally rejecting others you might list, and dumping the third in a sort of bin you can look at or not but it's seperate from anything you know you want to see and/or store. I have a cousin who uses this. In hers, the email system lets the sender know if s/he is in the rejected or the on-hold pile.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
      Old Grey Inquisitive One
      • Oct 2008

If you set up your junk emails rules you block emails from any source by moving them straight into the deleted folder. The sender will not know anything.

Why should telephone companies deny their customers use of their system, they would loose money. Ask for a new number, go ex directory and only give the number to people that you want or need to have it. And get your kids buy-in so that they do not scatter the new number around all and sundry.
      It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
      The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Meli
        Banned
        • Nov 2010

But why should I have to go through all that inconvenience for one nuisance?

surely I pay to receive as well as send?

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
          obnoxiously persistent.
          • Jan 2005

If you have an android smartphone you can blacklist any number you like.

On Android phones, you can block any number from calling you. To do so, you first need to add the number to your list of contacts. You then have the option of diverting all calls from that number to your voicemail. Your phone will not ring when the number calls your Android phone.
          I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• Paul Pless
            pinko commie tree hugger
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Meli
            Telecomunications companies cant seemingly block calls from any number you nominate?

They can.
            Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• McMike
              • Oct 2009

It might be as easy as a spam filter like was pointed out. As for phone numbers; here, I think there is a free way to block callers through your provider. If I were you, I would get a restraining order on your ex and be done with it.
              In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Comment

• Meli
                Banned
                • Nov 2010

i googled optus info on nuisance calls
                they can write to the caller and ask them to desist but thats about all.
                pmight ring the telecommunications ombudsman and ask.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                  pinko commie tree hugger
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by McMike
                  As for phone numbers; here, I think there is a free way to block callers through your provider.
                  Yup you can do it through your provider or if you have almost any smart phone, you can block them in the device.
                  Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Meli
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by McMike
                    It might be as easy as a spam filter like was pointed out. As for phone numbers; here, I think there is a free way to block callers through your provider. If I were you, I would get a restraining order on your ex and be done with it.
                    Yep, can do that now the sale is over.
                    not worth much though.
                    the bastard had his solicitor inside my house yesterday during the open before the auction.
                    he (the solicitor) stole a copy of the section 32, chatted to all the prospective buyers, and put unauthourised documents on the table with all the other docs that have to be legally displayed.
                    Sale still excellent despite these bully boy tactics.
                    ex has rung 8 times since. i've just hung up.
                    now he's ringing our conveyencing solicitor at 9am on Sunday!! .saying he expects his attendance 24/7.
                    I am so embarrassed , at the trouble he is causing anyone connected, I feel literally sick and have stomach pains.
                    I dont get this when he bugs me,I can handle it for myself but he's tarring my reputation and harassing people who have pulled out all stops to help me.

Comment

• Meli
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Pless
                      Yup you can do it through your provider or if you have almost any smart phone, you can block them in the device.
                      No smart phone, just a land line.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                        • Apr 1999

The history of listed versus unlisted phones, which antedates the issues of rejecting email, is fascinating. The original idea was very against unlisted phones both on social/democratic grounds (why so snooty special) and on the economic ground that for the phone system to achieve real penetration every phone had to be discoverable. So began the privilege of paying to stay out of the book.

Much the same is true on the internet - an important role of these communications devices, like the role of the post office, is commerce, especially advertising. It binds the nation.

But with the spectacular rise in the volume of advertising, ways to block it have grown. Some phone systems allow you to block calls from any number that does not show itself on your caller ID. This knocked out a lot of telephone robo-calls until those systems got away from centrex. It also made your phone unable to hear calls from some municipal police departments and utility companies.

Phone blocking "anonomous" calls can also create family problems. My sister and brother-in-law have a paddle sports business and the b-in-l will sometimes call around other stores for price comparisons. He'd rather they did not see it way him calling so they have a caller ID block on the phone. My sister, techno-knuckledragger that she is, can't seem to learn the per-call unblock and I tend not to answer calls that don't show the number, so she ends up in my voice mail needlessly.

I happily make my post office routine a move from my box to a nice stand-up desk that has a recycle bin at one side and a glossy paper and plastic bin at the other so I can clear the junk mail without filling my own trash.

But aside from that, I think personally that if I am planning to not answer the phone or an email, I can at least do the importuning soul the courtesy of a personal refusal. Rather like that arch greeting at the door: "When I say that I am not at home, I mean that I am not at home FOR YOU."

Unless it's a Jehovah's Witless. Then I just say, "Thank you, but I'm a Pelagian."

Comment

• B_B
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2001

he (the solicitor) stole a copy of the section 32, chatted to all the prospective buyers, and put unauthourised documents on the table with all the other docs that have to be legally displayed....
                          By "stole" do you mean "helped himself to a brochure freely available to all bidders" or do you mean "removed something which no-one was supposed to remove".

If it's the former, simmer down. If it's the latter file a complaint with the police and the Bar Association.

Regardless, if you think his behaviour crossed a line have your solicitor file a grievance with the Bar Association.

Comment

• Meli
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2010

When you have an auction here, you have usually 5 copies of the legal documents that describe the conditions and details of the sale.
                            there are for public viewing only, not to pick up and take away. They are original signatures.
                            no, he stole one, held it in his hand and when one of the sales team objected said, " what document"
                            just a tactic to cause a scene. Agents just let it go as they let him put other rubbish on the table.
                            openness wins the battle .
                            scared at least one buyer off though, she left after talking to him, abusing the agent.
                            there ia a little bit of land to the side, not on title but we have adversely possessed for 20 years.
                            this was not included in the sale, but documented that we hand over adversary possession rights. The ex signed up to it,then claimed at the auction that we could still buy it .

It is all open and above board, but the ex and his solicitor tried to scare buyers.
                            didnt work.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                              Ancient Mariner
                              • Dec 2006

But why should I have to go through all that inconvenience for one nuisance?

surely I pay to receive as well as send?
                              You won't unless you want to black list someone Meli.

Comment

Working...