PDA

View Full Version : WB 231 and the Chesapeake Buyboats

Dale Genther
02-16-2013, 05:17 PM
I was pleased to see the article in the latest issued about the restoration of the Chesapeake Bay Buyboat Thomas J. Her owner, Tom Parker, is a close friend of mine and one of the most talented individuals I have ever known. I don't think there is much of anything he can't build, rebuild or repair.

The Chesapeake Bay, in my opinion, has the greatest concentration of wooden work boats of anywhere in the US. Many of them are workboats such as the Buyboats and the Deadrise workboats. Rock Hall Harbor has at least 50 wooden boats in it and a good percentage of them are still working the water. Myself and other members of the Chesapeake Buyboat Association have long felt that Wooden Boat Magazine has passed us over in favor of the workboats from other areas such as the Northeastern United States. I'm glad to see that we are getting the press that we long felt our boats and heritage deserved.

Thank You Wooden Boat!!

Eddiebou
02-17-2013, 09:04 AM
I couldn't agree more.....Wish my subscription hadn't run out last month.

Woxbox
02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
The Chesapeake Bay, in my opinion, has the greatest concentration of wooden work boats of anywhere in the US.

Could well be true. I saw the annual skipjack race down at Deal Island a couple of years ago. That's a sight to behold. And this isn't half the fleet. My hunch has been the bay boats get the short shrift because they're not all curvy and fancy like the New England boats.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/Woxbox/W-Skipjackrace.jpg

erster
02-17-2013, 05:28 PM
My hunch has been the bay boats get the short shrift because they're not all curvy and fancy like the New England boats.
Yep, and most were built by seat of the pants guys and served many in four seasons weather too. Sadly we had several forum members from afar call those types of builders "Unskilled" too. As far as I am concerned, I call them dash and splash too, meaning they put what "makeup" that was avaliable in their early lives and they hit the water running, so to speak.

Peter Gottlund
02-17-2013, 07:28 PM
I haven't received the issue as yet, but look forward to the Buyboat article. Pride in our wooden boats and their connection to certain places has been the salvation of many vessels, working and pleasure. The Cheasapeake has a rich catalog of watercraft.
I might suggest that most of the featured articles in WB are written by us, the readers. A lack of "airtime" can be fixed with a sharp pencil! :d
If you lay out on your desk any consecutive six issues of WB, you can see the coverage of topics and their diversity.
Dale, how about a photo essay on Rock Hall's boats? Or Van Zandt Boatyard? And with all the talk about shanty boats no one brought up the Rock Hall rockfishers' shanty!
Probably takes a year or so to get an article, a good one, in the table of contents. Just guessing.

Eddiebou
02-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Oh Joy! I got the issue yesterday. Some of the background info seemed vaguely familiar. I think I must have read one of Randall Peffer's books. One where he spends the 4 seasons working with the watermen up the bay and ends up in a log canoe race. One of the main characters was Bart something. It was a good book.

Michael Wick
02-21-2013, 05:30 PM
I went to visit John and Vera England when he was rebuilding F.D. CROCKET, and he told me a story that I've always treasured. When the Attack Transports and AK's returned to Little Creek after WW II they would steam into the Chesapeake and call the buy boats to come alongside. As they approached, the snipes would swing out brand new 6-71's on a boom and lower them down on deck. When I sailed on the tall ship PROVIDENCE, we had one of those for power. She was a little ether bound in the spring when the water was still cold, but she never let us down.

ejds
02-21-2013, 10:55 PM
The picture under Deadrise Constuction was taken several years ago at The Reedville Fisherman's Museum while they were building the yearly "raffle skiff". We still build a similar skiff every year as a fundraiser.

Egbert

Arko
03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Heading to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum tomorrow. Ill try to get some pics of the boats there and post them here.

bwd
03-25-2013, 02:18 PM
True, they get short shrift in the magazine.
Which also recently had an article by some New-England-Know-It-All reviewing a Carolina boat wherein the yankee genius said, basically, that there was no point to a bow with so much flare.
Nope, no point. Kinda round ;)