PDA

View Full Version : deep fried ribs?

Paul Pless
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
is this the solution to cooking ribs when there's a foot of snow covering the smoker?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/3241810598_1bc0aa2173.jpg

switters
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
What is wrong with a long slow bake? Warms the kitchen up at the same time, and as long as the oven is warm you can make biscuits. Unless you are having donuts with those ribs, that works too.

Tom Montgomery
02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
is this the solution to cooking ribs when there's a foot of snow covering the smoker?

I can feel my arteries hardening just from looking at that pic.

In addition to being high in fried foods, such as chicken, liver, ham, and potatoes, the southern diet includes lots of high-fat dairy, eggs, added salt, and sweetened beverages. For example, said Dr. Judd, southerners will often put their tea on the stove to boil, allowing them to add more sugar. But the diet also includes green vegetables, such as collard greens.

People following the southern cuisine don't just fry their food; they also use unhealthy oils — for example, bacon grease instead of olive oil — to fry it in, said Dr. Judd. "Often in the South you'll see people render meat and keep the fat, the bacon fat, and fry okra or potatoes in it; so they're getting the bacon in their bacon and in their vegetables too."

The southern diet includes meats high in saturated fat — things like organ meats and gizzards (the neck of poultry). "In a lot of southern kitchens, people will use all parts of an animal — to flavor broths and stews — and they will use organ meats and cuts that you wouldn't see in other places," said Dr. Judd.

Calorie-wise, the southern diet does not differ that much from other diets.

The research showed that 10 states — Delaware, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Illinois, Georgia, Missouri, Arkansas, Michigan, and Maryland — had the greatest adherence to the southern diet. Dr. Judd noted that 7 of these states are southern, thus the name for the dietary pattern.

The study showed a dose response related to the southern diet and risk for stroke: Participants who ate a southern diet the most — about 6 times a week — had about a 30% increased stroke risk (hazard ratio, 1.30; 95% confidence interval, 0.97 - 1.76; P = .05 in a model adjusting for age, race, sex, smoking, and physical activity) compared with those who ate it about once a month, said Dr. Judd.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/779071

Chip-skiff
02-12-2013, 03:14 PM
It's not like he's going to have deep-fried ribs every day.

Once won't kill you.

Tom Montgomery
02-12-2013, 03:21 PM

Once won't kill you.
Yeah, I know.

I just couldn't resist getting in a dig. ;)

S.V. Airlie
02-12-2013, 03:23 PM
No thanks Paul, I'm having enough trouble wondering why anyone wants and likes deep fried twinkies.:)

Paul Pless
02-12-2013, 03:36 PM

Once won't kill you.Correct! One must make time for fried chicken, fried pork chops, and country fried steak, and fried ham as well.;)

Actually I found a very cool recipe for Thai hot deep fried ribs that looks amazing.

Figment
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM
and you're keeping the recipe to yourself because.....?

seanz
02-12-2013, 03:55 PM
No thanks Paul, I'm having enough trouble wondering why anyone wants and likes deep fried twinkies.:)

Deep fried twinkie? Say it aloud.
:)

Kaa
02-12-2013, 04:01 PM

I have my doubts. There's a reason why most people slow-cook the ribs, in a smoker or otherwise. It has to do with the speed at which certain kinds of connective tissue in the ribs break down into yummy stuff and I don't think deep-frying is going to work well here. Sure, you'll get something edible, but I bet, something different from "normal" ribs.

Try a slow cooker, maybe? :-)

Kaa

Old Dryfoot
02-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Thai ribs sound really good... nothing wrong with a little deep fry action and some ribs. Dry salt and pepper or dry garlic ribs win out almost every time over chicken wings for me when reading a pub menu.

Chip-skiff
02-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if the Thais steam or slow-bake the ribs before battering and deep-frying them.

Ever had mutton ribs, Navajo style? Boiled with dried corn and chile.

Canoez
02-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Hmmmm... Deep fried buffalo ribs?

katey
02-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Hmmmm... Deep fried buffalo ribs?

That's what I was thinking!