PDA

View Full Version : Post Storm

David W Pratt
02-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Hope all are in good shape.
Well, I know what nobody in New England is saying today "I wish I hadn't bought such a big snow blower"
We got an honest foot here, starting with heavy wet stuff. The town spent Friday night packing it into something like concrete. Fired up the blower Sat morning, spent 4 hours doing the area that usually takes 2 hrs.
Power went out about 10;30PM Fri, just got it back 1pm Sun. Sat, we cranked up three of the fireplaces, kept inside above freezing.
Nice to have the power back.

Ian McColgin
02-10-2013, 02:05 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/282692_4575578782624_2087108887_n.jpg

S.V. Airlie
02-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Post storm although we did not get much, weather report: Monday; Snow turning to Sleet, Tues. Rain and 40+ degrees. Oh such fun!

David W Pratt
02-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Just saw a crawl that said Hamden, CT got 40"
Any Bilge Rats nearby?

McMike
02-10-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm the next town over. We got 30"+ I don't know how anyone can tell for sure with all the drifting that happened. 40" seems high but you never know.

leikec
02-10-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm the next town over. We got 30"+ I don't know how anyone can tell for sure with all the drifting that happened. 40" seems high but you never know.

At some point I think you just say "deep snow", and quit counting...

Hope all of you are doing ok.

Jeff C

McMike
02-10-2013, 02:58 PM
My back is very sore, outside of that we're fine.

Nicholas Carey
02-10-2013, 03:07 PM
My back is very sore, outside of that we're fine.

Dug out 70 years' worth of accumulation at the back of the garage that risen up over the sheathing — 6–16 inches or so of leaf mold and other assorted cruft. rocks, bricks, etc...even pantyhose. Pantyhose?

Back of the envelope calculation says several hundred pounds of rocks and brick and about 2/3 cubic yard of dirt (which will make nice soil after I get it all sieved.)

Oddly, a lot of stiff muscles and sore parts this morning.

McMike
02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Dug out 70 years' worth of accumulation at the back of the garage that risen up over the sheathing — 6–16 inches or so of leaf mold and other assorted cruft. rocks, bricks, etc...even pantyhose. Pantyhose?

Back of the envelope calculation says several hundred pounds of rocks and brick and about 2/3 cubic yard of dirt (which will make nice soil after I get it all sieved.)

Oddly, a lot of stiff muscles and sore parts this morning.

I know, imagine that. :D

I was saying earlyer that I passed my stress test for the year, my heart is good. :p

Soundbounder
02-10-2013, 03:20 PM
National Weather Service totals

...SELECTED STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL IN INCHES WHERE THE EVENT HAS ENDED..

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc3.html

(http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc3.htmlYou)You can pretty much draw a line from Brookhaven, LI to York County, Maine to locate the highest totals

Todd D
02-10-2013, 03:44 PM
We got about 15" of snow, but had hurricane force winds for about 4 hours. Didn't lose power at all. It took about 30 minutes to clear all the snow off my driveway and our road (1/4 mile). I did get some snow in my shoe during the snow clearing. The storm was WAY over hyped.

Paul Girouard
02-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Hope all are in good shape.
Well, I know what nobody in New England is saying today "I wish I hadn't bought such a big snow blower"
We got an honest foot here, starting with heavy wet stuff. The town spent Friday night packing it into something like concrete. Fired up the blower Sat morning, spent 4 hours doing the area that usually takes 2 hrs.
Power went out about 10;30PM Fri, just got it back 1pm Sun. Sat, we cranked up three of the fireplaces, kept inside above freezing.
Nice to have the power back.

It looked like south county areas where hit with some high winds, I read of a 90 MPH gust recorded on the Newport bridge, not confirmed. My "bubba" in the NE corner all kept their power , but 30" of snow was typical in the Burrillville area.

They await the thaw cycle which will more than likely lead to so minor flooding. And how do you judge minor flooding, if it happens to your neighbor it's minor, if it's your property , well then it's classed as major!

Kevin G
02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
38" in Milford,CT, not far from Hamden. Wind gust of 55

Keving

Figment
02-10-2013, 07:33 PM
The official word from town of Woodbridge is 38" but I think 32" is a more truthful no-drifts number.

Plenty of 4' drift, though, no doubt.
Four tanks of gas in the snowblower, and this was one storm in which a 'blower is actually better than a plow.

The town has ONE bucket loader that can punch through this stuff and clear roads. The plows are only good for making the path wider after the fact.

Joe Dupere
02-10-2013, 08:03 PM
It's hard to tell what we got. The north side of the house is almost bare of snow. The south side had drifts between 4-5 feet. On the west side of the house I had a patch of bare earth during the entire storm. On the east side of the house there was a bare path about 6 feet out along the side of the house, with 4 foot drifts beyond that. Looking out at the pastures where there wasn't as much drifting, it looks like we might have about 2 feet of snow.

David W Pratt
02-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Today, the exposed brick walks are sheathed in wet ice. Is there such a thing as a negative coefficient of friction?

JBreeze
02-11-2013, 12:07 PM
It is interesting how the snow continues to cling to north-facing walls. 44 degrees F w/ drizzle at the moment, yet a quick drive downtown for coffee reveals many buildings with snow covered walls, including mine.

This time I'm glad I'm not on the Cape. Power was restored here Saturday evening. My brother isn't expecting power to be restored at his home on Cape Cod for several more days.

Bill Fisher
02-11-2013, 02:59 PM
National Weather Service totals

...SELECTED STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL IN INCHES WHERE THE EVENT HAS ENDED..

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc3.html

(http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc3.htmlYou)You can pretty much draw a line from Brookhaven, LI to York County, Maine to locate the highest totals

Jeez! It’s like the work of a mad man.
Hamden 40”, Milford 38”, Bridgeport 30”, about 25” at my home and all of these towns within 10 miles of me or so (I can hit Bridgeport with a rock from my back porch).
No loss of power at my home and who ever lost power in Trumbull is surely back up by now.
Now it’s raining and 40deg F and it will be 31 tonight with severe fog warnings. And then 45 tomorrow and sunny.
And there’s rumors of more bad weather by the weekend (The weather guy wouldn’t commit but he said the current model, which looks just like this recent storm, shows another storm for Saturday. It probably won’t but boy would that be rubbing salt in the wound!)

((Actually, I'm just whining for fun as I actually like this kind-of-stuff))

Bill.

Willin'
02-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Got home last night just before dark and had to blow off as much driveway as I could to get the car off the road, then passed out for the night.

This morning I had to hit it hard before the rain kicked in. One average spot I measured was 18" after 2 days of settling. Almost too much for the blower to handle.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/Hotrudderedbum/DSCF1765_zps123dc09d.jpg

I let wifey handle the back porch.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/Hotrudderedbum/DSCF1767_zps53a28b3f.jpg

So much for the "Maine doesn't get much snow along the coast" conventional wisdom.

Finished just as the rain began.