PDA

View Full Version : How do you eat your Clams ?

Oysterhouse
02-09-2013, 10:56 PM
I came home to find a bag of about 100 small clams had been left on the doorstep by a local waterman. Thanks Bubba! They are a little bigger than a half dollar.

I usually pop them into the oven, bake them for about 10 minutes and eat them on the half shell with a little Tabasco.

Now, if you came home and found them, how would you prepare them?

leikec
02-09-2013, 11:01 PM
I came home to find a bag of about 100 small clams had been left on the doorstep by a local waterman. Thanks Bubba! They are a little bigger than a half dollar.

I usually pop them into the oven, bake them for about 10 minutes and eat them on the half shell with a little Tabasco.

Now, if you came home and found them, how would you prepare them?

I'd tell my wife they were in the house and then I'd go to Steak n' Shake while she cooked them. I can't eat seafood.

Jeff C

Peach
02-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Well, into a large covered pot they would go with a half inch of water. Then high heat until copious steam is produced and all the shells pop open. Remove the meats from the shells and serve with melted real butter.

There is no other way worth considering.

hokiefan
02-09-2013, 11:08 PM
How do I eat my clams? Honestly, I don't. I love fish, crabs, shrimp, and even calimari; but I don't do clams, oysters, mussels, etc. To each his own I guess.

Cheers,

Bobby

Garret
02-09-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm with Peach - except that I'd replace the water with beer.

Peach
02-09-2013, 11:19 PM
How do I eat my clams? Honestly, I don't. I love fish, crabs, shrimp, and even calimari; but I don't do clams, oysters, mussels, etc. To each his own I guess.

Cheers,

Bobby

But those Mollusca are the true delicacies of the sea. Those Crustacea don't hold a candle. BTW, your calamari is in fact very closely related to those bivalves you despise.

hokiefan
02-09-2013, 11:25 PM
But those Mollusca are the true delicacies of the sea. Those Crustacea don't hold a candle. BTW, your calamari is in fact very closely related to those bivalves you despise.

I don't order calamari on my own. But if its there and done well, I'll enjoy it. And despise is a strong word, can do without is much more accurate. What can I say?

Peach
02-09-2013, 11:35 PM
I don't order calamari on my own. But if its there and done well, I'll enjoy it. And despise is a strong word, can do without is much more accurate. What can I say?

Well, if you and I ever sit down to a big spread of seafood, those crab things are all yours and I'll be content with all the critters in hard shells. The squidlets I'll be happy to share.

hokiefan
02-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Well, if you and I ever sit down to a big spread of seafood, those crab things are all yours and I'll be content with all the critters in hard shells. The squidlets I'll be happy to share.

Deal :d

Breakaway
02-09-2013, 11:51 PM
A hundred's a fair amount so steaming or baking or placed on the grill even...all make them self opening, which is a good thing with a hundred clams.

However, fresh and cold and salty? I like em raw, on the halfshell. Lemon, horseradish, oyster crackers and pepper sauce on the side so I can get a variety of flavors and texture.

Kevin

Oysterhouse
02-09-2013, 11:52 PM
I prefer oysters, crabs and fish. Clams and shrimp are just OK--thats why I was asking for ideas. Squid is for bait, and usualy the fish dont even like it!

David G
02-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Passionately!

L.W. Baxter
02-10-2013, 12:56 AM
This is kind of a personal question.

Oysterhouse
02-10-2013, 01:13 AM
This is kind of a personal question.

Passionately!

Bada Bow! Bada Bing!
They’ll be playing in the lounge all week!
50 cent draft 5:00 to 7:00

Personally, I would have said “Enthusiastically! at least the first three or four!”
“Raw” is also acceptable.

David G
02-10-2013, 01:44 AM
Bada Bow! Bada Bing!
They’ll be playing in the lounge all week!
50 cent draft 5:00 to 7:00

Personally, I would have said “Enthusiastically! at least the first three or four!”
“Raw” is also acceptable.

When you're both a step slow... AND jealous... well, it's just unbecoming.

btw... what does he mean 'personal'?

Oysterhouse
02-10-2013, 01:57 AM
When you're both a step slow... AND jealous... well, it's just unbecoming.

btw... what does he mean 'personal'?

Lighten up Bubba, and come on over for some clams n’beer!:D

David G
02-10-2013, 02:05 AM
Lighten up Bubba, and come on over for some clams n’beer!:D

Oops... forgot the smiley. My bad. What kinda beer? <G>

fishrswim
02-10-2013, 03:21 AM
One at a time and keep 'em coming. Half shell, steamed, fried, or chowder, it's all good.

Clarkey
02-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Cooked in white wine with a bit of garlic and fresh chili, then toss with spaghetti.

Paul Pless
02-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Passionately!

no doubt

http://lh4.ggpht.com/abramsv/R8-0Z3H56GI/AAAAAAAAK88/XeXX_B3hfgM/s800/16_molusk.jpg

LeeG
02-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Cooked in white wine with a bit of garlic and fresh chili, then toss with spaghetti.

Agreed, with or without the spaghetti, parsley, or fennel root cooked separately then added at the end. Fresh crusty bread.

pefjr
02-10-2013, 09:32 AM

Now, if you came home and found them, how would you prepare them?100 ? I have to call for help to eat a hundred. Steam three to five minutes, pour a garlic and wine sauce over them and keep the Tobasco handy in case needed.

ccmanuals
02-10-2013, 10:24 AM
I prefer oysters, crabs and fish. Clams and shrimp are just OK--thats why I was asking for ideas. Squid is for bait, and usualy the fish dont even like it!

steamed and eaten with hot melted butter is only only way to go. Sure wished I live closer. I would be fishing for an invite. :)

S.V. Airlie
02-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Now, if you came home and found them, how would you prepare them?Probably the same way as you, but they seem to be a bit smaller than what I'm used to.In the oven or on the grill. Perhaps a seafood soup considering the size. Oysters...lots of ways beginning with raw and on the half shell.

ccmanuals
02-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Small ones, probably little necks, are the best for steaming!

Paul Girouard
02-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Lil water , a couple of onions, a lemon. About 20 minutes or less on high , when the steam open they are done. Dip in butter.

Joe (SoCal)
02-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Furless ;) :D

alvin greenwood
02-10-2013, 12:32 PM
here we have razor clams, fry them up in a skillet good and greasy i makes a special sauce... ketchup and mayo.

If we have bay clams or steamers i have them steamed with my butter..

I like ersters from erstervillie Washington deep fried.

trouble is i always.

eat to much of this stuff till i get sick..

last time i ate to many razor clams my hands went tingling, there is a toxin in them sometimes, remember clams filter water.

Peach
02-10-2013, 03:00 PM
last time i ate to many razor clams my hands went tingling, there is a toxin in them sometimes, remember clams filter water.

Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning. It's always a good idea to keep a cat or two on hand to test your clams, when in doubt.

alvin greenwood
02-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning. It's always a good idea to keep a cat or two on hand to test your clams, when in doubt..

They test but i think they missed a few spots..

or i eats to much.....

Kevin G
02-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Stuffed

Keving

Canoeyawl
02-10-2013, 06:02 PM
That is enough to do a variety of things depending on how many people, but simple is good.
Steamed with sea water (or wrapped in rock weed) and dipped in a bit of butter would be excellent for today
For tomorrow, A Chowder - simple, with sauteed onions, potato and a piece of salt pork or salt Cod, heaped up in a bowl with just enough light cream to cover about half the bowl.
The rest I would brine and smoke, then freeze and have for snacks for a week or two...

Gone are the days when you could rake a peck of steamers at the shore and have a feed on Sat afternoon.

Bob Adams
02-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Furless ;) :D

No fan of the Bearded Clam?:D