What is your take on this and here should 'the line in the sand' be drawn?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rum_Pirate
    Banned
    • Apr 2007

What is your take on this and here should 'the line in the sand' be drawn?

Should Facebook have removed it?

Facebook apparently didn't agree that the post met its definition of cyberbullying, and so did not take the post down.

But as the comments on the post softened and even chastised the very idea of such a cheap shot, the Fan Page decided to take down the post.

Sound like pack bullying to me.

What should the definition or threshold of 'Cyberbulling' be?

Where should 'the line in the sand' be drawn?

Former Packers cheerleader takes on Facebook cyberbullying

By Jay Busbee

By Jay Busbee | Shutdown Corner – 13 hours ago

Kaitlyn Collins. (Via Green Bay Packers)As amazing as the Internet is — it's why we have this job, and why you're reading this article, after all — every so often we're reminded that sometimes all it does is give people the opportunity to be idiots on a worldwide scale.
    Kaitlyn Collins is a former Green Bay Packerscheerleader. She's also a real live human being with thoughts and feelings and emotions, something that didn't occur to commenters on the Chicago Bears Fan Facebook page.
    On Monday night, that page ran a photo of Collins with the caption “Like If You Agree The Packers Have The Worst Cheerleaders In The NFL!”
    The Bears fan page is a popular place, with 86,000-plus likes. You know the Bears-Packers rivalry runs deep, and thus, the comments got vicious in a hurry. In response, Collins made the following video, calling out not just the page but several commenters by name:

<br>

That video, a silent spool of signs, is well worth watching. "Cyberbullying" may seem like a media concoction or an overreaction, but to the people who have suffered the words of others, it's real and it's painful to the point of real damage.
    [Related: Donald Driver's final stop in Green Bay ... the home of a 78-year-old fan]
    Facebook apparently didn't agree that the post met its definition of cyberbullying, and so did not take the post down. But as the comments on the post softened and even chastised the very idea of such a cheap shot, the Fan Page decided to take down the post on its own.
    "We did not see all the posts to take down the Cheerleader pic until today," the administrators of the page wrote on Thursday afternoon. "We get hundreds of messages per day and are not always on here. The issue has been resolved. Please respect one another and do not bully on this page."
    Congratulations to Ms. Collins, who was a college student at the time she cheered, for taking a brave stand. (Don't think it's so brave? Put your own picture up and ask the world to judge.) There'll always be people who sling mud from behind screen names, but Collins did her team and her fanbase proud by standing up for herself.
    [Via Mashable]
    -Follow Jay Busbee on Twitter at @jaybusbee.-

• Iceboy
    Frozen Member
    • Feb 2001

Re: What is your take on this and here should 'the line in the sand' be drawn?

Say what you want about the Packers cheerleaders but remember this. They are not paid professional models. If they go to a game they pay thier own way. I think we are the only team that is like this as well as the only publicly owned team. Bears fans have a lot of nerve to say anything about the Pack. They spend millions on a privately owned team that still sucks.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
      Ancient Mariner
      • Dec 2006

I don't think it is bullying so much as some people are just crass, uneducated, have no class, no respect for anyone even themselves, stupid, uncaring, personally wimps, lacking guts etc. They hide, much like some on the forum behind a bunch of pixels and remain annon. Heck, I've read some posts here that could, by some, considered bullying. In cases like this, I look at the source and laugh.
      People, being supposedly human, are animals nevertheless. Animals act the same way as we do. JUST not on a computer.
      From one who has been bullied through ele. school, boarding school etc. Ah, the funny thing is, I ended up on top of the pile more often than not.y
      Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• beernd
        • Nov 2009

I am so glad that I don't Facebook or Twitter, saves me truckloads of sorrow.
        Lurching (and from time to time posting will do for me, no need for constant communication.
        Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
        Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
          Ancient Mariner
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by beernd
          I am so glad that I don't Facebook or Twitter, saves me truckloads of sorrow.
          Lurching (and from time to time posting will do for me, no need for constant communication.
          Me too! I refuse on principal to join a bunch of folks sitting around a table, theoretically, knitting and gossiping The bilge is enough for me.

Comment

Working...