PDA

View Full Version : The New BATMF

Peach
02-04-2013, 06:11 PM
It seems there's some movement at the Federal level to change how marijuana is regulated.

One of the proposals is to remove weed oversight from the Drug Enforcement Administration and give it instead to the renamed Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana, and Firearms.

"Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., has indicated he plans to hold a hearing on the conflict between state and federal marijuana laws and has urged an end to federal "mandatory minimum" sentences that lead to long prison stints for drug crimes.

"We're seeing enormous political momentum to undo the drug war failings of the past 40 years," said Bill Piper, director of national affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance, who has been working with lawmakers on marijuana-related bills. "For the first time, the wind is behind our back.

More here:

http://www.king5.com/news/marijuana/Congress-working-quietly-to-change-US-marijuana-laws-189700541.html

Paul Pless
02-04-2013, 06:22 PM
oh

I read this as Bilge ******* of the Month of February. I think we need such an award, btw. . .

Oysterhouse
02-04-2013, 06:43 PM
They should change the acronym to BOFS (Bureau of fun stuff).:D

Paul Pless
02-04-2013, 06:44 PM
+ 1!:D

StevenBauer
02-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Seems like a good idea long overdue.

Steven

Peach
02-04-2013, 06:50 PM
There's been some spectacular failings in the War on Drugs, but to my mind the imprisonment of young people for marijuana possession for personal use is about the worse.

Paul Pless
02-04-2013, 07:04 PM
There's been some spectacular failings in the War on Drugs, but to my mind the imprisonment of young people for marijuana possession for personal use is about the worse.

worse than sentencing blacks possessing crack cocaine with much harsher sentences than whites with powder cocaine?

and what about charging old people for marijuana possession for personal use??

Peach
02-04-2013, 07:11 PM
worse than sentencing blacks possessing crack cocaine with much harsher sentences than whites with powder cocaine?

and what about charging old people for marijuana possession for personal use??

As I said, lots of spectacular failings.

htom
02-04-2013, 07:25 PM
It's already the BATFE.

leikec
02-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Having to wear the jacket in the late 90's was hilarious...most people had no clue what "ATF" meant...

Jeff C

Peach
02-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Having to wear the jacket in the late 90's was hilarious...most people had no clue what "ATF" meant...

Jeff C

When I was growing up it meant only one thing:

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Oysterhouse
02-04-2013, 08:07 PM

Jeff C

Automatically -Tyrannical-Federal??

mikefrommontana
02-05-2013, 12:29 AM
American Type Foundries (now sadly defunct)?

skipper68
02-05-2013, 09:27 AM
About time.
How many times do they get the wrong address and kill innocent citizens?

Why do we spend 80K a year to incarcerate these nonviolent people?

The whole thing was cooked up by Big Oil and other competing corporations, to stop the production of hemp.
The irony is, the U.S. Constitution was written on hemp paper.

Did You Know There Are Over 50,000 Industrial Uses of Hemp?

Industrial Hemp for Papers: One acre of hemp in annual rotation will produce as much pulp for paper as 4.1 acres of trees during the same twenty year period. Hemp can be grown and harvested every year, unlike trees that take fifty to one hundred years to grow back. Hemp can be grown in more areas of the world than trees. Industrial Hemp for Clothing: Hemp produces three times as much fiber per acre as cotton. While cotton is grown on only 3% of the world's farmland, it uses a devastating 26% of the world's pesticides per year. Hemp requires no pesticides or herbicides to grow.
Industrial Hemp for Energy:

Since pre-industrial times, carbon dioxide levels have risen by almost 30% due to deforestation and fossil fuel combustion. The United States currently burns fossil fuels for 93% of its energy needs and consumes 25% of the world's supply. The hydrocarbons in hemp can be processed into a wide range of biomass energy sources, including fuel pellets, liquid fuels and gas. Hemp seed is much more nutritious than soybean, is only second to the soybean in complete protein, and is more digestible. It is high in B-vitamins, and is 35% dietary fiber.
BTW-Hemp seed does not contain THC.
People need to be educated on this.
http://oneplant.org/marijuana/didyouknow

Paul Pless
02-05-2013, 09:29 AM

Jeff Cyou were in the ATF? does Phillip know this??

Peach
02-05-2013, 10:16 AM
BTW-Hemp seed does not contain THC.
People need to be educated on this.

All good points, but I'm pretty sure this new effort to reclassify marijuana has little to do with the industrial uses of hemp. Hemp is a useful fiber for all sorts of products, and it's likely the current restrictions on the fiber will also be lifted when the recreational use of the plant is decriminalized.