PDA

View Full Version : Bureaucratic Nightmare for Law Abiding People

Paul Pless
02-03-2013, 06:05 PM
instant background checks

ROTFLMFAO!!!

Wayne LaPierre is so far removed from reality that its laughable.

The Bigfella
02-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Isn't he the bloke who got a Vietnam deferment based on his mental problems?

Tom Montgomery
02-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Laws and regulations are useless because criminals do not obey them. :rolleyes:

Peach
02-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Yes siree. The last time I had to go through a criminal background check it took almost five full minutes, four to fill out the paperwork and one minute to send it off and get the all-clear back. I agree, when will this bureaucratic nightmare end?

And why should I, an honest hard-working citizen, have to jump through these hoops when the scum-bag criminals don't?

htom
02-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Peach, that's not the nightmare. The nightmare is when it comes back rejected because you've bought three guns that were used to kill people two states over. Prove you didn't do that.

RichKrough
02-03-2013, 06:55 PM
The scary thing is, this loon is going to be the cause of even stricter gun controls. You can't listen to LaPierre 5 mins without concluding he is a nut.

PeterSibley
02-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Peach, that's not the nightmare. The nightmare is when it comes back rejected because you've bought three guns that were used to kill people two states over. Prove you didn't do that.

That sounds like a great argument for checks and standardised documentation at sale.... then you have no problem proving you weren't the owner that time.

Peach
02-03-2013, 07:28 PM

I don't see the problem. I recently sold a gun through a gun store. The store did the background check on the buyer, and I have the paperwork to prove I no longer own the gun. That gun might be used in a crime, might be traced back to me, and the cops might show up on my doorstep. I produce the sale documents and they cross me off the suspect list.

Every gun I have ever owned I purchased new from a dealer, so no problems with the history of the gun. That is one very simple way to avoid owning a gun that was once used in a crime.

I imagine if you're buying and selling guns privately, or at gun shows without background checks, there might be a problem. But one of the proposals is to close that loophole and require background checks for all sales. The proposed universal gun registration is yet another way for honest gun buyers to avoid buying guns involved in crimes. But those proposals will never be enacted.

Just a minor point, it's never the responsibility of the accused to prove he didn't commit the crime.

htom
02-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Seems like some here have not heard of identity theft.

Peach
02-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Seems like some here have not heard of identity theft.

What in the world does identity theft have to do with enacting reasonable gun legislation?

Or is this just the NRA's ploy of changing the subject when you're confronted with workable solutions?

Unyielding adherence to the status quo is not going to cut it. Refusal to address the issue is also a non-starter.

Duncan Gibbs
02-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Change the subject! Find an obscure problem! Don't answer the question!

SOP for the NRA and those who want the status quo unchanged.