PDA

View Full Version : ever heard of designer Cecil Stephansen?

chief sealth
02-22-2002, 09:54 AM
i am about to begin restoration on a 1950 sailboat built in Norway. The design name is Fortuna; she is a 32'5" double ended, racing/cruising sloop with an iron keel. i am seeking information on her designer (cecil stephansen), the yard where she was built, original line plans, others like her in the U.S. or elsewhere, anything would be appreciated.

Giles38
04-18-2012, 12:17 PM
A very long time has passed since your post, so I hope I'm not to late. I almost bought a Fortuna many years ago (a stunning design) but as part of my research I obtained a few drawings (lines, rig and general arrangement) I loved them so much that I still have them! I'd be delighted to let you have copies if you still have the boat. The boat I was interested in was in Northumberland UK. She was called Menina ex Freya. I also have a letter from Cecil Stephansen detailing the history of the design and how many boats were built etc. I hope to be able to pass this stuff on to someone who needs it.

Caracara
06-25-2012, 08:43 AM
A very long time has passed since your post, so I hope I'm not to late. I almost bought a Fortuna many years ago (a stunning design) but as part of my research I obtained a few drawings (lines, rig and general arrangement) I loved them so much that I still have them! I'd be delighted to let you have copies if you still have the boat. The boat I was interested in was in Northumberland UK. She was called Menina ex Freya. I also have a letter from Cecil Stephansen detailing the history of the design and how many boats were built etc. I hope to be able to pass this stuff on to someone who needs it.

I was astonished to read your post with regards to Menina. I have often wondered what became of her as I owned her as a young man from 1974 till 1977.
She was purchased in Gosport and towed to Deacons boatyard on the Hamble for repairs. She was still powered by the original petrol engine which we reconditioned with parts supplied by the manufacturer in Oshkosh, USA.

Apparently, one of her original owners during the 1950's was the actor Richard Green who had found fame in the TV series Robin Hood. Sometime during the 1960's the mast was shortened to make her less tender but other than that she seemed devoid of other modifications. She remained fast and a joy to sail. I lived aboard her with my then girlfriend for about a year, she was quite comfortable for a young couple in the 1970's!!

Beken of Cowes have 2/3 photos of her dating from the 1960's with full rig, I have one shot (Beken ref:39442) of her racing in the Solent - a beautiful boat indeed!

Did you ever receive a response from the original enquirer? I would be interested in copies of the original drawings if they are still available and happy to pay if needs be.