PDA

View Full Version : Men - do the right chores not all the chores!!!!

Ted Hoppe
01-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Here are some hot new findings in the world of domestic bliss.

Sociologists say married men who spend more time doing traditionally female chores, such as cooking, cleaning and shopping, report having less sex than husbands who don’t do as much. Conversely, men who did more manly chores, such as yard work, paying bills and auto repairs, reported having more sex.
The study, using data on heterosexual couples in the United States from National Survey of Families and Households (http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/nsfh/), appears in the February issue of American Sociological Review.
As a graph from the paper below, the difference is pretty stark between men who do a lot of “female” chores (core housework) and those who don’t.

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/files/2013/01/sexhouseworkchart.jpg (http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/files/2013/01/sexhouseworkchart.jpg)
Sexual Frequency (times per month) by men’s share of core and non-core housework. (American Sociological Review)

So what gives?
The scientists found that happiness, religion, gender ideology, and a range of other variables did not affect the relationship between more traditional divisions of labor and more frequent sexual activity. Interestingly, previous research has found that women’s marital satisfaction increases as men participate more in overall household labor, and that includes traditionally female chores. But this study seems to indicate that such satisfaction does not translate into more sex.

The basic takeaway seems to be that even as the world becomes more gender neutral in the 21st century, gender and traditional gender roles remain important cues for human behavior.

Meli
01-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Maybe, but is it gooood sex or "manly" sex :D

The Bigfella
01-30-2013, 08:42 PM
So, if you do all the housework, you're down to 3 a day from 5?

Bugger doing the housework

Meli
01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
So, if you do all the housework, you're down to 3 a day from 5?

Bugger doing the housework

but they only surveyed heterosexuals

The Bigfella
01-30-2013, 08:56 PM
but they only surveyed heterosexuals

Too much trouble defining "men's share" in the non-hetero households?

Meli
01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Too much trouble defining "men's share" in the non-hetero households?

that was a tad homophobic
:rolleyes:

The Bigfella
01-30-2013, 09:07 PM
that was a tad homophobic
:rolleyes:

How?

elf
01-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Nooky. That's all men think about.

There is so much more to human relationships.

What a stupid study. Must have been made by men.

The Bigfella
01-30-2013, 10:18 PM

More?

Like what? :d

Ted Hoppe
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM

men are preprogrammed. kindness is a evolutionary development to maintain a species. sex creates a species.

http://www.mens-hormonal-health.com/images/symptoms-of-low-testosterone.jpg

Jim Ledger
01-30-2013, 10:44 PM
It's a no-brainer, Ted. Digging out a stump is likely to get more in the way of gratitude nookie than emptying the dishwasher and folding a basket of laundry.

elf
01-30-2013, 11:18 PM
There's a deep self-centeredness inherent in just wanting nooky. Women tire of that after a while.

Meli
01-30-2013, 11:29 PM
It's a no-brainer, Ted. Digging out a stump is likely to get more in the way of gratitude nookie than emptying the dishwasher and folding a basket of laundry.

so who did you survey? :rolleyes:

Ted Hoppe
01-30-2013, 11:50 PM
There's a deep self-centeredness inherent in just wanting nooky. Women tire of that after a while.

women only tire when they feel undesired, burdened and taken for granted.

Meli
01-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Gee no one ever told me that, thanks Roberta :D

Hunky Dory
01-30-2013, 11:54 PM
I make my wife breakfast she usually makes dinner. If she cooks I cleanup the kitchen. We each do our own laundry as my clothes are not allowed with hers. She works more hours than I and hires a girl to come in and clean every other week. I kind of do the yard minimal at best. As far as our sex life I'm not complaining. We just had our 24th anniversary this week and I have learned that when she is in the mood she will tell let me know. If she isn't why bother?

Oh yea the boat with the motor she is Capt. I am in charge of sailing.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa455/BobLister/Boating%20Pics/DSC00113.jpg

Jim Ledger
01-30-2013, 11:56 PM
so who did you survey? :rolleyes:

I have to admit, Meli, that my sample base is mighty thin, but the decades-long nature of the experiment is still yielding useful data.

Meli
01-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Well the graph looked pretty amaturish :rolleyes:

Hunky Dory
01-31-2013, 12:10 AM
The thing is people are different and what works for one couple might not for another. Some never figure out what works. I don't hold a lot of faith in surveys. If a woman expects the man do do the yardwork and he does some house cleaning without being asked just cause she seems tired or busy. That goes a long way with my wife. Even if it doesn't mean sex isn't having her happy reason enough

Fitz
01-31-2013, 08:29 AM
Jeez, thanks for posting that. It explains everything. I am lucky that I managed to spawn two kids.

Actually, the scientists are wrong. The reason for the lack of sex is utter exhaustion. After a full day of work, toting the kids around, laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, dishes, dog care....etc. etc. etc. there ain't much left to fool around with.....:p

Katherine
01-31-2013, 09:20 AM
There's a deep self-centeredness inherent in just wanting nooky. Women tire of that after a while.I actually agree with Emily.

Katherine
01-31-2013, 09:21 AM
women only tire when they feel burdened and taken for granted.Yep

katey
01-31-2013, 12:48 PM
There is absolutely no way the points on those graphs represent real data. At best, they're points calculated from a curve-fit to the actual data, which are much noisier than that.

Ted Hoppe
01-31-2013, 01:05 PM
There is absolutely no way the points on those graphs represent real data. At best, they're points calculated from a curve-fit to the actual data, which are much noisier than that.

Data points on this graph are like shear points to a builder and potential buyer. Most men wish to simplify understanding to get to approximate performance returns and women seem to want to add more contributing data to assure quality control and long term sustainability.

Bob Adams
01-31-2013, 01:32 PM

Been a while eh Emily?;)

(lack-o-nooky makes you grouchy)

John of Phoenix
01-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Four times a MONTH? How old are these poor people?

B_B
01-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Four times a month? What's the point of being married?

The Bigfella
01-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Geez, that'll teach me to not read the fine print. I thought it was 3 - 5 times a day

skipper68
01-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Hog wash.
Water finds it's own level.
27yrs. Happy, in our world.
These old men start taking them blue pill crap, and other things.
Never thinking their same age wife don't.
Ruins the Golden years.
Been seeing many mature men losing everything. It's stupid.

Oysterhouse
02-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Sooo--Lemme git this straight. When it comes to housework---Do less and get “more”.

“Dahlin, I’m gonna go pound some nails, cut the grass and break some stuff--Put on somtin’ purtty now would’ga, and fix yer hair.”

Yea, that should work.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
02-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Jeez, thanks for posting that. It explains everything. I am lucky that I managed to spawn two kids.

Actually, the scientists are wrong. The reason for the lack of sex is utter exhaustion. After a full day of work, toting the kids around, laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, dishes, dog care....etc. etc. etc. there ain't much left to fool around with.....:p

+1.

Meli
02-01-2013, 03:00 AM
^ :d

The Bigfella
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Careful now... I got busted several hundred posts for posting a photo with that gesture.

... which I find rather crazy, but such is the way of this part of the world.

TDSoren
02-01-2013, 10:02 AM

Yes, it's almost as self centered as wanting a man to listen and catch every nuance of a woman's problems for 2 hours straight in the evening after a 10 hour day of trying to satisfy the needs of all his clients and co-workers. Then he wants a basic biological need satisfied that just so happens to help prevent prostate cancer? Schmuck.

Tracey
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM

HAHAHA This was my first thought, too.

and then this. Thanks, Katey.

Hog wash.
Water finds it's own level.
27yrs. Happy, in our world.

Bravo, Skip! Us too!
What I find to be really sad about this thread is the instantaneous negative connotations regarding sex by my female friends here. What's up with that? :rolleyes:
Where's Spin, anyway?

Then he wants a basic biological need satisfied that just so happens to help prevent prostate cancer?

For you: How I wish this was true, I'd be so thrilled, but here you are: Mayo clinic findings http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prostate-cancer/AN01825

TDSoren
02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
HAHAHA This was my first thought, too.

and then this. Thanks, Katey.

Bravo, Skip! Us too!
What I find to be really sad about this thread is the instantaneous negative connotations regarding sex by my female friends here. What's up with that? :rolleyes:
Where's Spin, anyway?

For you: How I wish this was true, I'd be so thrilled, but here you are: the Mayo clinic findings http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prostate-cancer/AN01825

One doctor in one forum doesn't convince me on that, but there are definite benefits regarding avoiding an enlarged prostate. I don't trust the AMA and the pharmaceutical companies anyway, they seem more concerned with generating repeat business than actually curing anybody. No money in that :-)