PDA

View Full Version : Old cars

The Bigfella
01-30-2013, 06:35 AM
A mate called over today with some rather nice gear. Can't really say who owned the gear... something to do with aeroplanes... however, I'm forever grateful for the loan.

I've got a Series III Jensen Interceptor and the rear brakes had seized up. I'd spent ages trying to free the 6 pistons and got half of them sorted. I'd re-plumbed them and tried with the brake hydraulics even. No go.

We hooked up a hand pump, complete with 10,000 psi guage... donned our protective gear and got into it. Its fair to say that my saw bench got well lubricated. We ended up not using much over 1,000 psi and all six pistons are out.

I wouldn't mind working on cars if I could turn around and put my hands on gear like that whenever I needed it.

moTthediesel
01-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Next time, try pressurizing the caliper with grease instead of brake fluid, it's much less messy. Easy too, just put a zerk fitting on and have at it.

Tom

PeterSibley
01-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Forget the Jensen , get someone to build one of these for you .http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/tank-car/188026/

The Bigfella
01-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Good thinking with the grease... but what he brought was hydraulic fluid.... so, hydraulic fluid it go. I'd tried air and, as mentioned, the brake circuit... but having it on the bench allowed individual pistons to be worked on easily.

Bob Adams
01-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Nothing like having the proper tool for the job at hand.

John B
01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
What do you do next Ian, just hone and new seals or do they get bored out and new pistons or something?

Paul Pless
01-30-2013, 04:57 PM
What do you do next Ian, just hone and new seals or do they get bored out and new pistons or something?

Jensen Interceptors have a certain reputation hanging over their brakes. Perhaps he throws the newly freed brake parts away and retrofits a Brembo disc brake system.:D

The Bigfella
01-30-2013, 05:04 PM
No need for boring, its the chrome on the pistons that "went", John. So, new seals, rubbers and pistons. There's kits on ebay in the US for them at around $220 per end... call it $500 with freight for both ends. I'll have a look and see if there's other options, but that will probably be it. I could have bought new rear calipers from the UK at 230 quid each plus a lot of freight.... probably $2k by the time you do both ends.

If I was doing the car up to keep and drive, it'd be different. I'd invest in big brakes. Junk the existing rotors and calipers and find something that will really rip the tar up. I fitted 32mm thick by IIRC 332mm rotors with 4 spot Brembo calipers to the M5 and it made a difference. Something like that would be great on the Jensen... but that'd mean new, larger diameter wheels.... and on it goes.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Brembo-Gran-Turismo-F50-Calipers-NEW-Ferarri-Lamborghini-BMW-EVO-STI-Mustang-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqV,!iUE+Qn0NpCQBQK+w-SSmQ~~60_57.JPG

John B
01-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Sounds like she's going on the market then eh. They must be fairly hard to find now, many in Aus? They pop up from time to time here on our ebay equivalent but not often.

I was thinking of your vintage bike foray on the weekend... I was looking at a friends BSA thunderbolt he just bought. Cool old bike , suitable for what he wants as a local semi rural area cruiser. The big problem he was joking about ( it had only arrived on the friday) was that it wasn't dripping oil.

The Bigfella
01-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Yeah, time to clean up the vehicle fleet. The Mercs are going and the 535i too.

leikec
01-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Yeah, time to clean up the vehicle fleet. The Mercs are going and the 535i too.

Go ahead--say it:

You're making room for the new Corvette... :D

Jeff C

The Bigfella
01-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Nah, more bikes.

This nanny state of ours gets all bitter and twisted if you even spin the tyres on a car these days and woe betide you if you "speed".

Paul Pless
01-30-2013, 08:11 PM
what is the speed limit out in those wide open spaces y'all got

The Bigfella
01-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Its 110 kph on freeways and the better highways. Also 110 once you get a few hours away from the coast. In the Northern Territory it was unlimited up to a few years ago, now its 130... with some discussion being given to freeing it up again.

I do believe I could find some speedo images that would lead to trouble if they'd been taken here.... but places like Indonesia have no open road speed limit. Its lovely.