PDA

View Full Version : Warren Olney, The GOP TRies To Rebuild Itself

Lew Barrett
01-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Does anybody else listen to "To The Point"? (http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp)

Check out today's program: "The GOP Tries to Rebuild Itself." Did anybody else hear it? (press "Listen on the linked page if you want to).

Rather than recap it here in my words, I'd as soon discuss it with people who have listened to it. If that doesn't pan out, we can discuss my version of it.

Lew Barrett
01-28-2013, 05:54 PM
No takers? It's a good program.

John Smith
01-28-2013, 06:12 PM
I listened to a good chunk of the program. Doesn't it come down to today's Republicans having to pretent they believe something other than how they vote?

Perhaps I'm naive, but I think we can tell a lot about people in political office by how they actually vote, and who they actually support.

I'm still waiting for someone to point out something the Republcans have gotten correct as a matter of fact or as a predicted outcome, since Clinton decided to run for president in '92.

They are what they vote for, or against, no?

Lew Barrett
01-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Of course. The ad speak is so much blather. I keep hoping somebody there will be someone to stand up and talk some sense and somebody else will take up the chorus, and soon you'd have a genuine option, but they are damned to wander in the wilderness for forty years looking to re-badge, re-frame themselves. They need reform, not rebranding! Oi!

Gerarddm
01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE]
They need reform, not rebranding! Oi!

/QUOTE]

The issue as I see it is that they very fond of simplistic thinking that can be expressed on a bumpersticker or in a sound bite. True reform is more weighty, which is why it is harder for them to embrace. Perhaps even impossible.

Chris Coose
01-28-2013, 07:26 PM
If the teabaggers are the smart ones in the Republican domain, it is an excellent time for the democrats to reframe themselves. I'm not holding my breath.

Lew Barrett
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
It's representative of a very shallow and cynical view of our society. That political advisers in this culture believe they can or even should discuss "branding" as if what is on offer was a bar of soap or a carton of milk is very discouraging indeed. All that was under discussion was the presentation as opposed to the content. They believe there is nothing fundamentally wrong with their "content." They just need a new cheese box; the cheese within being quite fine enough. Once the people see the new advertorials, all will be forgiven. It is a remarkably dull notion, with incredibly poor insight attendant.

Chris, what you say is what worries me. This rig is actually tuned for two watches, port and starboard as it were, both of which should be offering honest and thoughtful policy and leadership. The ship is undermanned by weak teams, and although I have more confidence in the the port watch, it is not a healthy scenario to have just the one. One thing is clear: the Reps are lost at sea.

The conference was a clear waste of time: they returned with empty heads.