PDA

View Full Version : 1929 Van Sant Schooner?

Church of the Holey Wooden Boat
08-13-2001, 08:43 PM
This boat is named Comet, and is 40' on deck. Can anyone tell me anything about the designer, or the boat?

Nora Lee
08-17-2001, 05:47 AM
Was this Van Sant from Atlantic City, NJ? If so, hae was the original designer of the traditional Moth Boat!

Nora

Hughman2
08-17-2001, 08:13 AM
I'm not sure. The Moth designer is Joel Van Sant, according to a WB index search (37:104)and may have been a noted coastal captain as well. I've also found a Stanley Van Sant, who built garveys in NJ. I don't have enough information yet to know which is the designer, much less a list of launchings. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gifThere is also an Elizabeth City NC connection

Nora Lee
08-18-2001, 04:55 AM
Hugh'

Capt Van Sant was fitting out his yacht in the EC Shipyard, he callaborated with a local man to build an affordable sailing craft. Moths flit around our harbor all the time.

The Museum of the Albemarle owns the plans, and they sponsor a Regatta in September that brings Moth sailors from up and down the east coat. This event is well worth experiencing. The launch point is just down the street and the race course is viewed from my terrace!

I would reccommend that you contact the museum as they have quite a collection of info, re: the moths and perhaps his other craft. The Museum of the Albemarle
Route 17 South
Elizabeth City, NC 27909
Regards,

Nora

[This message has been edited by Nora Lee (edited 08-18-2001).]