PDA

View Full Version : Bloody heck...NO HEAT!!!!

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Not happy. It's close to 0 and colder last night. I can't AFFORD TO GET SICK LITERALLY.

Ian McColgin
01-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Get out to someplace warm. Any breakfast place with your cell and laptop in tow.

Is it the whole place or just your unit? Landlord on the case?

G'luck

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2013, 09:13 AM
My car is in the shop. Frozen gasline...I'm not walking to town as it is further then I WANT to walk..about a mile to the diner and it's too bloody cold today.( PS....do you really THINK I own a cell phone Ian?:) can't get the car until this pm although it started right up in the shop after it was in a warm shop until last night. Told my mechanic that w
while it was there change the oil etc. Done later today.
ps..landlord is, I hope, on it...Better be. This is the second time in the past two months, I've not had heat.once okay, new system although it should be on autofill. But twice!!!!! Now it is Bloody cold! Last time it wasn't although my plants died..

Paul Pless
01-25-2013, 09:19 AM
does your oven work?
electric blanket?
long underwear?
c-dog?

Ian McColgin
01-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Well, you used to have a cell but so long as you're hard aground I guess a landline makes sense.

Screw the car. Call anyone nearby for a ride, friend or taxi or town social services or even the HeadStart driver.

This is serious. The cold can kill.

Around here every agency with a vehicle is on tap to move people to where ever there's heat. They even have information sharing with the utilities, fuel dealers, heating contractors, and plumbers so that even people who don't think to ask, or are too proud to ask, get transport to warmth as needed.

G'luck

john l
01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
what's the problem with the furnace? gas or oil? mechanical or empty tank?

Mrleft8
01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Too bad Glen's been banned..... He can usually get you heated up to the boiling point pretty quick!

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Paul I guess the oven would work
long johns? With my Scotish hairy legs?:)
Electric blanket nope
C'dog and I were under the covers or on top depending all morning.

David W Pratt
01-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Anybody live close enough to pick him up?
I'm in Phoenix through Monday, by which time normal temps should have returned.
Good luck.

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Too bad Glen's been banned..... He can usually get you heated up to the boiling point pretty quick!Actually not that often anymore Doug..Question about heating system...propane. I suspect it's an empty tank.

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm okay unless the heat doesn't come back on today. No biggie, it's just friggin' cold.

Mrleft8
01-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Actually not that often anymore Doug..Question about heating system...propane. I suspect it's an empty tank.

There should be a gauge on the tank that'll tell you how much is in it. There will also be a number to call.
It's illegal to let someone run out of heating fuel on purpose (Shut off the heat) between December and April I believe..... Or it used to be anyway... Not sure if they have to fill you up if your landlord hasn't paid the bills, but in theory they aren't supposed to let you freeze to death. Consider getting a small ceramic cube heater when you get your car back.... They cost about $20 and can save you in situations like this (Pretty efficient these days too)

Ian McColgin
01-25-2013, 09:47 AM
If it's an empty tank and if it's the landlord's job and if the landlord is slack on this, you can lawfully "repair and deduct." The problem can be that the full cash flow from the building is not enough to fill the tank. Sometimes if some tenants are on a housing subsidy, the local housing authority (LHA) can do it but even progressive LHAs need to be kicked hard, usually by an outside agitator like me when I was working. I had one building in northern NH where the landlord simply stopped paying the oil and the oil guy (his cousin) would not fill without full payment of all past due plus the new fill-up, which was about a full year's rent from each apartment pooled together. Getting that fixed on December 23 was a real horror.

So, not saying it's easy because it's not. Most states (not sure of NY) have a law such that if the town condems a rental, especially if due to landlord's refusal to meet legal obligations, then the town must at town expense fully transition all tenants. Most towns will try to find ways to evade that cost, either by not doing a really required condemnation or by lying to the tenants about what the town can and must do. It takes some nerve, and often outside help like an organizer and an active legal services agency, for the parties that can fix this sort of thing to be pushed into doing it. The difficulties are exacerbated because no one wants to really stir trouble where they live. And, we're all Americans here and often over-proud, it's hard to demand help.

You're doing good now, Jamie, but if it gets to noon and no fix is on the way, it'll be time to raise a ruckus.

TomF
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
I echo what Ian's saying ... take a taxi, bus, or sponge off a friend to get to a restaurant, the mall, a public library, somewhere. Blankets, pooch and hot water bottles will help, but as you say, you can't afford to get sick. Leave your taps dripping slightly, so the pipes can't freeze, but get the hell out of Dodge 'till the furnace works again.

Ian McColgin
01-25-2013, 11:09 AM
By the way, around here in this sort of no-heat emergency, dogs and cats and pretty much whatever are welcome.

Katherine
01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Any update?

Katherine
01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
bump

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2013, 01:37 PM
It's 130. the gas co has been called several times. Said that they would get here early afternoon..said they would call an hour before they show up..WELL, it's after 130 which means they will show up at 230 if they call right now. as they haven't I expect they won't show up until heaven knows when. NOW I'M GETTING PO'd as well as freezing my tush off. Told the handiman to forget the company calling YOU, call, THEM.IT's on AUTOFILL which means they (THE COMPANY) it supposed to check the fuel periodically.

Katherine
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Is there anyway you can get to a heated building?

SaltyD from BC
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
You need a couple portable electic heaters Jamie, even if they get the gas flowing soon. Cheap insurance to have as back up, they've got some pretty cool low power consumtion infared jobies out now that work very well. Maybe call a cab and hit the hardware store and buy a couple later this aft if they don't get the heat working quickly.

TomF
01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
You need a couple portable electic heaters Jamie, even if they get the gas flowing soon. Cheap insurance to have as back up, they've got some pretty cool low power consumtion infared jobies out now that work very well. Maybe call a cab and hit the hardware store and buy a couple later this aft if they don't get the heat working quickly.Very good suggestion. We've got an infared heater this year, that we've shifted from room to room as necessary in our aged monstrosity of a house. Quick, fairly energy efficient, and not too dear to buy.

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2013, 04:31 PM
It is a good suggestion. Now, taxis used to exist in cooperstown...no longer. Only buses. Only local buses in the tourist season. However propane co. is here finally.

Ian McColgin
01-25-2013, 05:02 PM
So, is the heat coming back on?

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Slowly.......very slowly Ian. It's about 45 degrees now...

SaltyD from BC
01-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Here's hoping its comfy by bed time for ya Jamie. When you get your wheels back do check in to those heaters. I bought a couple that stand about waist height for less than 50 bucks each. Two settings one that's warp 10 and another that takes less than half the power and keeps things warm once warmed up...

Oh and Donn, you're slipping budddy you missed my typos back there :p

SaltyD from BC
01-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Nice http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/new/rockOn.gif

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2013, 07:33 PM
CAR is ready to be picked up. Gas line thawed and ready to go. Tomorrow early.