PDA

View Full Version : Antique Power tools? not boating related

esdren
01-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Anyone know of any dealers/appraisers who coukld help me out? I inherited my grandfathers old old old drill. He found it in a dumpster when he was 12, he turns 89 tomorrow. Its made by Hisey-Wolf Machine Co out of cincinnati and im pretty sure its from the mid 20's but ive never seen anything looking like it in my scouring of the web. Unfortunately the info plate is worn down so most the info is illegible. Ill have to post a pic once i get downstairs today.

Hal Forsen
01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
http://vintagemachinery.org/

esdren
01-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Ive checked out this site but they have little info about drills. The one image they had looks similar to myine but not quite the same.

http://vintagemachinery.org/MfgIndex/Images/5565-A.jpg

esdren
01-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Here she is. Very similar to the above pic but not quite the same
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o277/esdren/IMG_3802-1.jpg

Bob Cleek
01-18-2013, 02:27 PM
How are dealers or appraisers going to help you out? Are you asking for value? I'd expect not much. It's not old enough to be a collector's item and there's not much, if any, old tool collectors' market for hand power tools. Old powered tools are primarily sought after as "users." A nice, and complete, engine lathe is one thing, but I doubt anybody would be interested in a clunky old drill motor. (BTW, make sure the cord wiring is well insulated and in good shape. You can get knocked on your ass (or worse!) if something shorts out onto those old metal cased hand power tools.

esdren
01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Im not concerned with value, my grandfather and I are more curious for info on the drill itself, especially since we cant seem to find any. Thats my only real purpose here. Unless someone offered me an outrageous amount which I know will not happen i would never sell this beast.

Ive checked the wiring a couple years back, no problems there. It has nearly broken my wrist though but thats cause the bit jammed and the drill tried to take me for a ride. At 80+ years old this thing is a powerful SOB. Was more than happy to walk away with just a dislocated elbow.

orbb
01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Some of the market for old electric appliances is with lawyers. Some older appliances had asbestos wrapped wiring, and lawyers look for them for testing to see if they produce friable asbestos.

Kudzu
01-19-2013, 08:16 AM
I love old wood working tools, mostly but stationary shop tools and OWWM is a great site for that and information. But I have never heard for a site for powered hand tools. Odds are you will not find out much if anything about them. I think there were a lot of small companies than came and went and very little info or tools remain.

I had an oscillating spindle grinder, a large stationary tool, made in Detroit and I never found another one or any mention of the company either.

SMARTINSEN
01-19-2013, 09:32 AM
It seems that Hisey-Wolfe is still in business, why don't you give them a call?

(513) 353-3662

You often see old drills and other vintage electrical tools like skilsaws and planers. Often they do not fetch even an opening bid, so I would be inclined to agree with Bob Cleek that this drill is probably not worth much, except in terms of the sentiment.

esdren
01-19-2013, 11:12 AM
It seems that Hisey-Wolfe is still in business

The company is still around but in name only. It has changed hands so many times the current incarnation has no info about anything from their past.

Tried OWWM but every time i try to post the question I get a response back that its spam and posting is denied. Sent a pm to the admin to see if i can get it figured out

keith66
01-20-2013, 04:45 PM
My father in law has an ancient Wolf drill similar to that one. He bought it new in the mid 50's, 350 watts & 350 rpm, it has a huge amount of torque & i recently used it to drill a 7/8" dia hole in a cast iron keel to install a new keelbolt. Probably worth its weight in scrap!