PDA

View Full Version : Info on 2013 WOOD Regatta?

FSS172
01-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Wondering when information on the 2013 WOOD Regatta will be available. Just checked the calendar of events for May and it doesn't even appear to be scheduled yet. It'd be something to look forward to as the January days start to lengthen.

bamamick
01-16-2013, 07:12 PM
There was an ad in the latest addition of the magazine. Sometime in May, at Rock Hall.

Mickey Lake

frank pedersen
01-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Mickey,

I exchanged a note with Carl about another matter. He added a comment that there was a schedule conflict that would interfere with the regatta being at Rock Hall, but he did not clarify whether there was another venue or a date other than May. I have some travel plans around then anyway, so I did not seek more information. He has had the flu and is just getting back to work.

Frank

Carl Cramer
01-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Thanks, all. It's such a shame. Someone suggested tagging on to an existing event in MD, but it's in June, which is a crazy time here in preparation for the WB Show.

I also looked (from afar) at the possibility of doing the Regatta at James Island Yacht Club in Charleston, SC, which seems ideal. But not enough time to pull it off for 2013, I'm afraid.

rbgarr
01-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks for your efforts, Carl. I used to live on James Island (thirty years ago) and your idea is a good one. There's a new launch ramp, a crane and I recall lot of parking space, but the club has expanded quite a bit since I was there. http://www.jiyc.org/index.html

bamamick
01-22-2013, 09:36 AM
There are probably a lot of other places you could host this. My own club, the Buccaneer YC in Mobile, has beach access (though it's a muddy walk to the deepr water, we have cats that sail here), a floating ramp for Finns and any such boats, and an A-frame two ton hoist. We have our annual Spring Regatta in mid-May but other than that there's nothing going on that month. We have eight or nine Gulf Coast Fish class boats built of wood, at least one 210 and a Dragon here. :)

It's most likely too late from an advertising point of view (for the magainze), but if someone wanted to have the event it's probably doable.

Mickey Lake

frank pedersen
01-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Actually the June regatta at RHYC is two weeks prior to the WoodenBoat Show in Mystic, so it might not be a total killer. On the Friday before the weekend racing they have the "Down River Race," from Chestertown to the vicinity of RHYC - about 12 miles or so. All classes race together with a single start, scored with the Portsmouth rating system. Great fun! The regatta also attracts wooden Chesapeake 20's, Hamptons, Comets (at least in the past), and, of course, about 3 or 4 wooden Wayfarers, so it might be worth thinking about. There is no conflict with the Washington College graduation, so accommodations are more available than at the earlier date in May.

Another great venue in the middle Atlantic area is the Fishing Bay Yacht Club in Deltaville, Va. They hosted the 2010 Opti Nationals, so obviously they have the know-how to run races. There is a sandy beach for small boats, which is a plus. You will never believe this, but I raced there about 50 years ago in an Uffa Fox designed Jolly Boat. A young British lad was my crew; his name was Alan Gurney. Yes, that Alan Gurney.

Frank

bamamick
01-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Wherever they have it, I would strongly suggest looking into a club with at least a two-ton hoist. I for one will not participate again in this event with any of my boats simply because the marina at Rock Hall charged me $600 to launch the 210 and put the mast in (and out. It was a two-way deal). It was a wonderful event and the people were super-nice. Please don't misunderstand that part, but it is not a keel boat club and the fact that it's not definitely keeps me out with the 210, Dragon, or Fish. I would love to bring a Fish to this event one day and show the country what we sail here on the Gulf Coast, but not at those prices.

The Rock Hall club was great, and I would enjoy sailing there again. People just need to understand that this is a dinghy event in it's present incarnation and if you bring something larger than a Lightning you are going to spend a lot of money.

Mickey Lake

Carl Cramer
01-23-2013, 10:06 AM
That's good to know, Mickey. What a shame!

Frank, I love that Alan Gurney was your crew. Did you win?