PDA

View Full Version : Local Reactions to the Newtown Incident

Curtism
01-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Tampa city leaders and the sheriffs office are placing police in elementary schools and considering allowing teachers to be armed. They already have police in middle and high schools. Costs for the added security for the rest of the current school year is estimated to be in the area of $3 million but they are seemingly jumping right in.

Where I live, Pinellas county, St Petersburg & Clearwater are more divided on the issue in that a Democratic city councilman wants armed guards at all the elementary schools, while our recently re-elected Republican sheriff is against it, citing a lack of budget for increased manpower.

A couple of pawn shops, of which there are no shortage, took the initiative to quit selling firearms and accessories shortly after the Sandy Hook shooting.

One other noticeable change was put in place by our local paper. Their classified section ordinarily had one or two columns under the heading of sporting goods, consisting primarily of private firearms sales. A week or so ago there were as many of four columns and the last couple of days it's had only six or so inches, mainly populated with canoes, tents and other camping gear, with two dealers offering to purchase WWII or earlier weapons. So, there's obviously been a shift in policy there.

It's been interesting seeing the varied responses here. What changes are you seeing in your area?

John of Phoenix
01-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Simply stated, where I live, not very many people have guns.Gun nut wisdom says you'll be robbed this evening.

------------------
Back on topic, there's already so much rabid lunacy here in AZ, I can't tell any difference.

hanleyclifford
01-16-2013, 04:30 PM
A police presence already exists here in Edgartown (elementary) , MA and an armed officer at the High School is under discussion.

Curtism
01-17-2013, 04:46 AM
Shortly after posting this a local public affairs radio program reported the following, so my comments in the first paragraph are no longer accurate. I see that estimated $ figures, initially released by the Hillsborough Sheriffs dept, have also evolved since earlier reports.

Last night Hillsborough County School Board members gutted a proposal by the Superintendent to add armed security guards to all of the district’s elementary schools. Not everyone was directly opposed to MaryEllen Elia’s idea, but all said the board needs more time and information to come up with a plan.

Elia wanted to spend $700,000 this year and more than $4 million next year to hire 130 security personnel to work in elementary schools

http://www.wmnf.org/news_stories/

The thought that a private lobby group can blow a dog whistle like they did and have elected officials impulsively jump to the tune is rather unsettling. But in spite of efforts by those who've seen fit to take the proposals of the NRA and run with them in a knee-jerk reaction, there are other elected officials calling for a public debate over the pro's and con's of the issue . . . prior to jumping to conclusions. This development is encouraging. to say the least.

Meli
01-17-2013, 05:24 AM
I'm so happy this issue is being kept alive.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-17-2013, 05:26 AM
how much better it would be if that money were spent on teachers...

Curtism
01-17-2013, 06:09 AM
Exactly, Andrew. There are numerous better ways to spend money than creating another TSA style debacle.

And Meli, I doubt this issue will fizzle out anytime soon.