PDA

View Full Version : Status check - 24 March 02

Ed Harrow
03-24-2002, 06:46 PM
Tough weekend. How much time with wooden boats am I allowed? All day Friday. Saturday was filled with getting ready and taking SWMBO jr to the airport for her next great adventure, 2 months in Costa Rica.

Today spent a goodly portion of the morning helping build a gazebo at SWMTMH's school. On the way back from that I had to stop at the local VW dealer to see if the key they mailed me fit the VW that they are giving away. What do you think...

Then, of course, I got in a row with them about an unsecured bottle of helium they had in the show room. What a bunch of idiots. Thought I was a bit amusing; they have no idea of what a cylinder full of gas at 2800 psig can do... On the way home we stopped in at the fire station. They were not amused...

Did finally get some time on Phoenix, I'm working at cleaning out the access holes into the keelbolts. The holes are filled with bondo, epoxy, I don't know, but it's pretty tough. Heat gun, drill, cold chisel. Wish my air line reached that far... My camera had to work this weekend, so I'll plan on a photo update tomorrow.

http://home.fiam.net/eeharrow/harrowhtm/2002/03.24.02.JPG

[ 03-25-2002, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Ed Harrow ]

Mr. Know It All
03-24-2002, 08:11 PM
Rough weekend here too Ed. Recharge the batteries,renew the spirit and go back to the boat when you can. The weather sucks here in Ohio. The calander may say it's spring but old man winter ain't lost his grip on us yet.Hang in there.
Peace----> Kevin in Ohio

Roger Stouff
03-24-2002, 09:05 PM
Know what you mean, Ed. 70s outside, sunny skies, and I got the flu. :(

Dave Fleming
03-24-2002, 09:37 PM
Ya mean from down in pockets in the CI keel or from countersunk holes in the wooden keelson?

nedL
03-25-2002, 08:06 AM
Ed, sorry to hear you weren't able to make much progress. As for how much time should you you be alloted for wooden boats?- Well, I'll just say that if I were in your shoes, afer getting the plug (bung) out of the first screw hole I would have been hearing "don't yo think you've been out there long enough already?" :rolleyes: So consider yourself lucky. ;)

Ed Harrow
03-25-2002, 12:43 PM
Pockets in CI keel. Picture tonight.

Ed Harrow
03-25-2002, 09:10 PM
Finbar's demonstrating how he has a nose for fishy situations... ;)

wolfietuk
03-26-2002, 05:54 AM
lets see, coaching oldest sons soccer team, watching 6 and 2 year old while wife does belly dancing and water arobics, working between 50 and 60 hours a week, relandscaping the yard, Planning the annual boat club campout, helping brother in law build shed. I havent been able to work on the boat for more than an hour at a time since Christmas. I really have to get my priorities straig

Art Read
03-26-2002, 06:11 AM
Anybody else starting to suspect that it's really Finbar who's doing all this work?

Andrew
03-26-2002, 11:47 AM
Ed (or anyone else), what are your thoughts on refilling the keel bolt access holes? Does it have to be cement or hard epoxy? I was thinking fairing compound gouge.

Ed Harrow
03-26-2002, 08:56 PM
I think tradition is a wooden plug. Getting this epoxy(?) out is not my idea of a good time. If it were lead, lead might be indicated, but getting hot lead in a horizontal hole seems like a challenge.

skuthorp
03-26-2002, 10:10 PM
Went out on the bay in the Macgreggor on friday, rowing not sailing, 5 hours or so, and had a great day but I think I didn't drink enough or got too much sun as I woke Saturday with a monster headache and didn't come good till Monday. Serves me right!