Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Smith
    • Mar 2009

cemetery question

There are a limited number of cemeteries in the areas I've lived, with limited space. I know of none expanding, but funerals keep happening. Is there a re-using of graves we don't know about?

I know where my grandparents are buried. When my brother and I are gone, NO one will be alive that knew them. I know people who died and were buried who had no children and no one alive knew them.

Just makes me wonder how the cemeteries never seem to run out of room.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book
  • Ian McColgin
    • Apr 1999

Re: cemetery question

Since the affluent hills of western Connecticut could not accomodate Mom and Dad's hunters being put down and then left above ground for the foxes it was pretty obvious even to one as stubborn as my father that his dream of a sky funeral - lay him out on a slightly raised rack and let the eagles and hawks take him away a little at a time - was not going to happen. So he and Mom chose cremation. We scattered their mixed ashes around favorite fox runs and cruising grounds.

Good by me, but I'd like some of my ashes spread on Wall Street at lunch hour. Maybe I can be an irritant in the eye of some Master of the Universe one last time. Whatever's done with my ashes, I hope it's illegal.

Comment

• Nicholas Scheuer
      • Aug 2006

My first wife was cremated. We put her ashes in Lk Michigan from our boat. I'll do the same. On the first anniversary of her passing our three kids all went to different locations on the shore for a memorial service, Michigan City, Kenosha, and Milwaukee.

Comment

• skuthorp
        • Jan 2002

They do vertical burials here now I think, you know, just a post hole. Long time to stand up though.

Mixed mum and dads ashes together and the navy dropped them over the side in blue water. Heh, closest they'd been for 35 years.

Comment

• Bram V
          • Aug 2010

My grandfather was cremated a year ago, his children put some walnuts, carrots and potatoes in his casket, he was a farmer throughout his life and often came by to exchange those for a cup of coffee and company, just coming by for company was harder for him to do.
          If at first you fail, you need to expand your sample size.

Comment

• Fitz
            Wood Canoe Nut
            • Mar 2001

We shot a friend out of a cannon.
            "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Comment

• Peerie Maa
              Old Grey Inquisitive One
              • Oct 2008

Apparently in the UK 70% opt for cremation, so the issue of burial is less worrying than families desires to scatter ashes in odd places, football grounds, an iconic authors home and so on. Some faiths also require that ashes be scattered in running water, so the government has had to issue guidelines to ensure that non biodegradable wreaths or other associated materials do not cause a problem. I also heard that one popular river site is starting to silt up.
              It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
              The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Mrleft8
                Banned
                • Feb 2000

They stack em up like cord wood on Tobago. Apparently the caskets/bodies keep slipping down hill underground during the rainy season (The cemeteries all seem to be on the steepest hillsides) They stopped planting people in one section of one cemetary that overlooked the main harbor, where the cruise ships anchor, because the caskets/bones kept poking out of the cliff face, and plummeting into the water right as the tourists were disembarking....

Comment

• John Smith
                  • Mar 2009

I've never understood burying and funerals. So much money put into an "eternal resting place" for the body that, during the funeral we are told means nothing. The soul that was the person is up in heaven. Note: never been to a funeral where the soul went to hell.

All that aside, cemeteries are full of graves that hold the bodies of people who lived many years ago and no one alive today ever knew them. Those who do know/did know the deceased visit the gravesite, but eventually no one visits. All of this seems, to me, to contradict the beliefs of those who visit. Assuming they can talk to the soul of the deceased, there seems no reason to do so where the body is buried. I have several friends who did visit the grave sites of their parents, but fate moved these friends to different states, so they could no longer visit.

My question is a bit different. I see people, new customers as it were, going into these cemeteries to be buried. At some point they have to run out of room.
                  "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• Canoez
                    Did I say that out loud?
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Fitz
                    We shot a friend out of a cannon.
                    Buddy's dad passed away and while looking for a mutual friend at a local watering hole, I came across this buddy sitting at the bar with a row of shotgun shells sitting on the bar.

"What the heck are you doing, Kenny?"

"I'm having a drink with my dad."

"I thought your dad passed away last weekend?"

"He did."

"So how are you having a drink with your dad?"

With a flourish of his hand, he indicated the shotgun shells on the bar. His father had been cremated and his request was that his ashes be loaded into shotgun shells which were to be taken to his favorite hunting spot and spread in the obvious way. Kenny indicated that he literally wanted to go out with a "bang". (Or a whole series of them!)
                    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                    -William A. Ward

Comment

• John Smith
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Norman Bernstein
                      I'm afraid I can't quite agree.

Whenever I can, I visit that cemetery in State Island that I mentioned earlier. My paternal grandfather died in 1936, 15 years before I was born, but there is still a 'connection' to him... and to all the other Bernsteins, known to me, or otherwise. Admittedly, no one else from the family ever visits there... the last time anyone else was there was in 1979, when my grandmother died... but it still has meaning to me, to go and visit and 'reconnect' with ancestors. I don't say the traditional Jewish prayer for the dead (even though I know it)... that's not why I go. I don't believe I can 'talk to the soul' of the dead... not in the least. But still, being there, looking at the gravestone, has meaning to me. I don't know why... but it does. It isn't 'sentiment'.... more like, 'history'.

You're right... eventually, no one will be left alive who knew these people, or remember them... and there will be no one to care, when I'm gone... at which point, there will be no one to care if the plots are 'recycled'. But while I'm alive, I want those gravesites left undisturbed... for my own sake.
                      You are an exception, and in your case it will simply take longer to reach the point where no one visits.

I find certain things trigger memories of the elders I've lost. Aside from some stories, there are no memories of those I didn't know.

My one good friend was murdered and his wife took their young children to the grave every weekend and had lunch there. The psychologist told her to stop. The kids would never put this behind them if she kept visiting the grave.

I stray: logic says they have to run out of room.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                        Ancient Mariner
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by John Smith
                        There are a limited number of cemeteries in the areas I've lived, with limited space. I know of none expanding, but funerals keep happening. Is there a re-using of graves we don't know about?

I know where my grandparents are buried. When my brother and I are gone, NO one will be alive that knew them. I know people who died and were buried who had no children and no one alive knew them.

Just makes me wonder how the cemeteries never seem to run out of room.
                        Cremation!!!!! Don't need much space!

Comment

• S/V Laura Ellen
                          Neither Fair nor Balanced
                          • Oct 2003

there is also stacking. kind of like bunk beds for eternity
                          Allan of the Grove
                          "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Comment

• MiddleAgesMan
                            • Jul 2007

I want my body to be used for research. When it is no longer useful I'm not sure who decides what to do with it--me or the medical school?
                            Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

Comment

• Bram V
                              • Aug 2010

there is also stacking. kind of like bunk beds for eternity
                              That's a reason to want top bunk!
                              If at first you fail, you need to expand your sample size.

Comment

Working...