PDA

View Full Version : In Maine, want seagull outboard.

JMAC
02-04-2001, 05:38 PM
Anyone know where I may find a good used seagull in the north end of the northeast?

paladin
02-05-2001, 07:24 AM
No. I have had mine for thirty years and rebuilt it once. If the advert appears in public chances are the motor is already gone.
Good choice though!

Todd Bradshaw
02-07-2001, 03:19 AM
Speaking of Seagulls, is there any reasonable way to modify them to use a fuel mix with less oil in it? I've got a Silver Century Plus from about 1975 that burns a 10:1 mix. Every time I fire it up, I expect to be rammed by a GreenPeace Zodiac or picketed by the Sierra Club because of the huge blue cloud that it makes. On the other hand, it's such a neat machine that I wouldn't trade it for a brand new four-stroke.

nedL
02-07-2001, 12:34 PM
A friend of mine who lives in the Mystic CT area has had on for about 8 yrs that he has never even started (came with a 14' cape dory that he has never used). I think he may be considering it timt to move them on. If interested I will ask if he would sell separately. As I remember, it looks clean & I know he has always kept it stored in his basement.

Henri
02-07-2001, 04:15 PM
JMAC, I have an extra 9hp with its manual, but its in SW Florida in the Ft Myers area.

paladin
02-08-2001, 06:37 AM
Henri,
If JMAC does not want your 9 HP gull, I will take it.
Chuck

TerryC
02-08-2001, 11:45 AM
WEST COAST CONTRACTORS SERVICES

#28 13TH ST.
This is a company that has the parts you will need. There is a carb converter to go to 50:1

SAN FRANCISCO CALIF.94103

415-861-6124 FAX 415-8610454

Hours of operation 8 to 5 Monday thru Friday

Email address: Brtseagull@aol.com

Todd Bradshaw
02-08-2001, 02:11 PM
Thanks, Terry. I'll check it out. Any internal combustion engine that's simple enough for me to work on is worth keeping, though I will miss having to jibe the skiff back and forth when going downwind to get out of the blue cloud.
T.E.B.

imported_Krueg
02-14-2001, 06:03 PM
When I was a kid my dad had come upon an old Seagull. It sat untouched in the garage for probably nine years until I decided to try to get it going. So I mixed up some gas and two cycle oil, and set her up on a saw horse with a big bucket of water. I wound up the pull cord, gave it a big tug, and to my astonishment she fired up the very first time. I used it extensively after that on a little dinghy I was given by a family friend(this was my fishing setup). Never had one problem with it, that is until my dad wanted it back. It was oars from then on. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gifThat blue smoke though...

Frank Wentzel
02-15-2001, 08:31 AM
I saw an old Seagull at a flea market the other day. Probably from the 70's. However the owner thought he was at the "Antiques Roadshow" he wanted $350 for it. It was in rough shape - which he called "all original". I would have wanted it as a motor not an antique, I'm sure it would have needed a rebuild, and I didn't think it was worth the price.

adampet
02-15-2001, 09:57 AM
Have you tried the ad in Messing About in Boats? His e- mail is seagull508@AOL.com
I'm glad to see that someone makes a carb kit that changes the oil/gas ratio. We had one on a dinghy that was fine ,except the prop turned so slowly it would collect weed and stall the engine. You'd have to stop and clear it all and then restart. after doing this more times than I'd like to think, we got smart and realized that rowing was just as fast and didn't leave an oil slick!

Bob Cleek
02-23-2001, 07:18 PM
Another good question... Like Shipmate stoves... Why did they ever stop making Seagull engines? Screw the exhaust, I mean, how much do they really put out in the grand scheme of things? Seems like the old bulletproof quality stuff stops getting made more and more these days. Drat!

norske
04-27-2001, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by TerryC:
WEST COAST CONTRACTORS SERVICES

#28 13TH ST.
This is a company that has the parts you will need. There is a carb converter to go to 50:1

SAN FRANCISCO CALIF.94103

415-861-6124 FAX 415-8610454

Hours of operation 8 to 5 Monday thru Friday

Email address: Brtseagull@aol.com

I am the happy owner of a 5hp/5 blade SEAGULL
bought in 1980 and still putt putts.
Question: does anyone know of another source for parts in the USA?

Mike Field
04-27-2001, 09:19 PM
In the UK, try John Williams at Saving Old Seagulls in Maldon, Essex (I think,) email johnwilliams@eoa.ndirect.co.uk

When the company was still in business, John managed their spare parts telephone-ordering side, and essentially just continued doing so after their demise.

Mike in SC
05-31-2001, 04:13 PM
To answer Bob Cleek's question- I would bet that SOMEBODY was also the younger brother of a pre teen owner of a Seagull who was forced to sit in the front front of dingy whilst big brother wrapped and pulled, wrapped and pulled repeatedly without enough force to start the dang motor, but with plenty of ummph to cause the pull cord to repeatedly flay the younger brother cowering in the bow, and said younger brother grew up, bought the company and burnt it to the ground. I still have welts after 35 years of healing!

jerry s
06-01-2001, 09:31 PM
I saw an old Seagull in a consignment shop in Seabrook Texas ( thats around Houston) I'm coming to Maine in about a week and would be glad to take it too you if the price and condition meets your needs. Drop me a line at jslaughter1@satx.rr.com and we can talk about it, if you wish.