PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Aid

Concordia...41
01-06-2013, 01:50 PM
In an article in the local paper, it sounds like the recent Sandy Aid bill wasn't so much aid as the payment of flood insurance claims:

The bill allowed the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to pay out claims to those who held federal flood insurance. The bill passed the House on a 354-67 vote. It later passed the Senate unanimously by voice vote.

I'm checking to see if there was more to the bill than that, because my most-recently-elected representative apparently voted against it. :confused:

I know I could read various sources and try to piece together the whole story, but I know many of our Forum folk were directly impacted by Sandy and thus by the relief efforts, aid, and/or lack thereof.

The full St. Augustine Record article is here: http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2013-01-05/desantis-balks-aid-sandy-victims

I'm 90% sure Mr. DeSantis himself knocked on my door, and I know my mailbox got multiple pieces of literature from his campaign. If he actually voted against honoring insurance claims to Sandy victims, then I have a letter to the pinhead pretty much drafted. :mad::mad:

Joe (SoCal)
01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
NJ Gov. Chris Cristy went ape ****e on the speaker of the house over this. I know he's a republican but I kinda like the guy. I think he's doing a great job for NJ.

S.V. Airlie
01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
I think you may be right Margo. I also think that there were attached items or bills to the one initially put forth for those who were hurt by Sandy. Those that had nothing to do with Sandy at all..

Tom Montgomery
01-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Fasten your seat belts. The new Congress will be a bumpy ride.

Ian McColgin
01-06-2013, 02:43 PM
As I read the bill, it was just paying flood insurance claims - an already bound contractual obligation anyway. It did not tackle the massive need for disaster relief, like Florida lives on, to rebuild. And it, surprisingly enough, didn't have pork riders that red states so dearly love to add to disaster bills. (Blue state pols add their pork to other sorts of bills.)

We need to remember NOT to retaliate against the victems of Florida's next disaster just because they have been so selfish and narrow as to elect this sort of goon. The human need is first and we do that without demand of reciprocity.

Mrleft8
01-06-2013, 05:36 PM
There was a little pork in the bill. Things like new handles for the public restrooms in the Smithsonian, and new carpeting for the interns cubicles at Blair house or some such nonsense that 150 some republican congresscritters felt compelled to vote against. Very much just grandstanding to show how tea party tough they are on wasteful spending.

George Jung
01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
A major expense is having congressmen pulling a salary but not leading. Wonder if those same folks would vote for their own impeachment?

Concordia...41
01-06-2013, 06:20 PM
There were a lot of back-house Florida politics that put this guy there.

Our local Republican nabobs, who are a righteous lot even when they are asleep and/or drunk and passed out in their own p...., were up in ams at DeSantas' rise from nowhere.

I'm sure he won't give .02 for my opinion, but I intend to fire this off while I'm good and hot. What a tool... :(

Hughman
01-06-2013, 06:43 PM
wait, are you saying this bill uses federal funds to pay the obligations of private insurance companies?

Hughman
01-06-2013, 07:02 PM
No. NFIP/FIMA/FEMA hires private insurance companies to handle it, but pays the claims themselves.
thank you.

Concordia...41
01-06-2013, 07:04 PM
So Donn - were actualy claims held up over this nonsense?