PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Maritime

landlocked sailor
09-19-2001, 09:39 PM
Our trip to the UK has been indefinitely postponed because of "current events". Despite our disappointment we thought "there are plenty of places we haven't seen on this side". So we will meander, by car, up through Maine and on to Nova Scotia, PEI etc. Any suggestions? We wouldn't think of missing Avonlea or Lunenburg Foundrey. Rick

paladin
09-19-2001, 10:02 PM
You can't go wrong with a visit to John Steele and Covey Island Boatworks...

Ron Williamson
09-20-2001, 11:29 AM
Cape Breton should be on your itinerary with the Brador Lakes,Cabot Trail coastal hwy.and Louisbourg Fortress
Have fun
R

Ed Harrow
09-20-2001, 03:59 PM
How far south might be of interest? Mystic, Herreshoff (Bristol, RI), IRYS (Newport, RI)
several yards around cape and Vinyard, USS Constitution, Phoenix, etc.

mmd
09-20-2001, 11:59 PM
C'mon down! We got lotsa stuff for you 'n' the Missus. All the stuff the other fellers mentioned, plus the Bluenose, the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, maybe catch a meeting of the Small Wooden Boat Assoc. of NS at the afore-mentioned museum, the highest tides in the world at the Bay of Fundy, and the foliage is just starting to turn into autumn colours. Check out Tourism Nova Scotia's website to see what is going on and get 'em to send you a "Doers & Dreamer's Guide". Drop in for a cold Kieth's. You'll have fun, c'mon down.

ken mcclure
09-21-2001, 09:32 AM
My wife and I did that trip, Rick. It was such an enjoyment that we've decided that whenever the money is available we will look seriously at buying a summer home in Nova Scotia.

Try running around the coast of Maine and then taking the ferry from Bar Harbor over to Nova Scotia. While the scenery up and around is fantastic, you can come back that way if you wish and there's SO much to see in NS.

Be sure to stop over in Truro and see the tidal race up at the head of the Bay of Fundy. Oh - and don't set the alarm for the wrong time and get out there just in time to see the end of it. !!!!

bud
09-21-2001, 12:12 PM
A beautiful area
http://www.shelterassociatesltd.com/images/canada.jpg
Just don't get caught down there when the tide comes in!

landlocked sailor
09-24-2001, 09:58 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind replies and advice. We will certainly incorporate them into our itinerary. Since we are traveling with the kids, I must break the news to them gently: yes, we are going to see MORE BOATS!!!!!. Rick

rodcross
11-21-2001, 11:39 AM
One word of caution. Two things are expensive in Canada: dining out and fuel. Otherwise, your money goes a long way.

Because I was taking my new (old S&S yawl) boat home from the Great Lakes to CT, I ventured out the St Lawrence and found places I could not imagine. Quebec City is like no other in North America. Farther out was the town of Tadoussac where thousands of whales gather at the mouth of the Sanguennay(sp) river.

If I had known about Quebec when I was doing that kind of traveling with kids, I'd have gone to Montreal and then headed east along the northern shore of the St. Lawrence, crossed to the southern shore after Tadoussac, visited the town of Gaspe and then meandered down the east coast. There's a awesome bridge to PEI if you want to take the Anne of Green Gables Trail or go to the only Potato Museum in the world. It is a different world and truly worth it.

landlocked sailor
11-22-2001, 02:46 PM
We went and had a glorious time. We took the slow meandering trip up through the Adirondacks, including that glorious museum in Blue Mountain Lake. We went through the Greens in Vt. & the Whites in NH. Up the Maine coast on Rte 1 through Camden, Lincolnville Beach and had a nice visit with Walt Simmonds. Went to Brooklin but they had already pulled the boats at WB. I stopped and chatted with Eric Dow who was putting finishing touches on his latest Haven; a real head turner. Also dropped in and poked around at the Brooklin Boatyard. The Fast Cat ferry to Falmouth was an experience and not all together a pleasant one. At least they sell beer aboard. Nova Scotia is as different from Maine as night and day. We found the people very friendly, accomadations very cheap, fuel expensive but food prices were not bad. We rented a beautiful house on Lake Mushamush for $75 Canadian/night. Just north on Lunenburg, great town, great museum. We did get to the Bay of Fundy to witness the tides but we were too travel weary to make the trek to Cape Breton or PEI. I think it would be better to fly into Halifax and go from there, if I can EVER get on a plane again. I especially wish to see Cape Breton as it has the only single malt distillery on this side of the pond. Way too much to tell of here but it was a memorable ramble. Rick

ken mcclure
11-22-2001, 08:45 PM
Toldja!

The place grows on you. During our travels we stopped in a small town for a late breakfast on a Sunday. While we were waiting for our order to be prepared, we noticed an older woman sitting alone at a table not far from ours.

We invited her to join us for breakfast, and she did! We had an hour of the most delightful conversation in memory.

And as I'm sitting here, I'm wearing the wool sweater I bought on that trip. I have never seen this kind of sweater here in the US, and it is absolutely the best piece of clothing I have!

bob goeckel
11-26-2001, 10:18 AM
go to Campobello and see the Roosevelt summer home!!!!!!!

ken mcclure
11-26-2001, 11:33 AM
Ooooh man! And if you're going to be there, jump over to Lubec and Eastport. Visit with the MacNaughton's in Eastport. Neat people, and interesting boat designs.