PDA

View Full Version : Limited Lifetime Warranty

J. Dillon
01-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Anyone know what that means ?:confused:

JD

hanleyclifford
01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
The product is warranted to have a limited life.:)

Ian McColgin
01-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Hanley's crack is not far off. It's the product's lifetime, not yours. Some products are defined as short as five years. Some it works to some number of years after that product is discontinued. Some twenty years. Whatever. The warrantee must state what the lifetime is. Limited means that only certain parts or systems are waranteed. Again, it must be specified.

J. Dillon
01-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Got a Pico Lite http://www.rei.com/product/803136/egear-pico-led-zipper-lite as a stocking stuffer for SHMBO. It doesn't work . I contacted them .. they sent another battery . It still doesn't light.

Still in the dark
:pmad:
JD

Stiletto
01-03-2013, 11:48 PM
My understanding of a limited lifetime warranty is that there are certain conditions which would limit the warranty.
An example could be when a handyman type tool is used for trade purposes, as they are not made for being used day in day out, but is otherwise a reasonable quality tool.

Mrleft8
01-04-2013, 09:10 AM
It means that the part which failed is not covered, but the rest of it will last forever in the landfill.

Rum_Pirate
01-04-2013, 09:14 AM
It means that the part which failed is not covered, but the rest of it will last forever in the landfill.

+ 1

I consider that a 'Limited Lifetime Warranty' should be simply described as 'Limited Warranty'.

Rum_Pirate
01-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Did you check the batteries for clear stick-on isolators? Some button cells are fitted with these for shipping.
In regard to what :confused:

J. Dillon
01-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Did you check the batteries for clear stick-on isolators? Some button cells are fitted with these for shipping.

Thanks Donn that was the problem.

I did contact the Revere Supply Company before seeing your post. They also gracefully made me aware of that shipping precaution. Even with this knowledge I could hardly see that "stick- on isolators." They were clear as glass. My trusty Swiss Army knife severed the umbilical cord and put SHMBO in the light.
:D
JD

J. Dillon
01-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Perhaps the "isolators" should be in contrasting colors or striped.

That way one could easily see it.

JD

Gerarddm
01-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Too easy, and the bean counters wouldn't approve.

Reminds me, many decades ago the heading on the New York Times read The New York Times. That is, it had a period after 'Times'. They supposedly killed it to save on aggregate yearly ink costs. Now THAT is bean counting.

beernd
01-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Anyone know what that means ?:confused:

JD

Whenever the product dies on you so does the warranty! ;)

Meli
01-05-2013, 05:16 PM
I have a set of Rodd silverware.
Mum bought it for my 18th birthday.
It has a lifetime guarantee.
A few years back, I was in the store where it was purchased.
I mentioned that some of the silver plate was bubbling where I had left some spoons wetand spooned together.
The Sales person said to bring them in and they would send them to Rodd for replacement.
My mum keeps taking her 35 year old pans back to the store when the handles or lid knobs finallywear out. They replace them with the latest style.
pI wonder how a company can afford to do this? Maybe so few people actually bother to take things back, the guarantee does what it is intended to do... Promote the qualityof their goods.

I never bothered taking the spoons back :)

Chip-skiff
01-05-2013, 05:31 PM

Good call. You're our hero (in a limited way).

Bob Cleek
01-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Believe it or not, some of those "lifetime" warranties actually do work. The thinking behind the best ones is that few people will actually have the cojones to bring something that's just worn out back, but the advertising "punch" of saying we'll replalce it no questions asked can't be beat.

One that actually is not an "urban myth" is the lifetime warranty on Craftsman manual tools. (Forget power tools!) I have brought back Craftsman tools that had been hugely abused and, indeed, they do give you a new replacement with no questions asked. The most amazing guarantee is, or was, Costco's. They would take back anything, no questions asked. Unfortunately, that got abused and now they've got some limitations, particularly on consumer electronics. (Too many people would buy a huge flat screen just before the Super Bowl and then return it after the game!) The most amazing thing I heard about was a guy who had a summer bicycle rental business. Each spring, he buy a bunch of bikes from Costco and rent them. Come fall, he'd bring them all back for a full refund! After about three years they got wise and put a stop to it. I bought a 55" Sony TV from them and it crapped out about six years later. Turns out it was a design defect and Sony knew it wouldn't last much more than that. Costco says they will cover anything purchased on their Costco Amex card with a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. Turns out, this applied to their TVs when I purchased the one that crapped out. They'd since put a 3 year warranty on electronics and you can buy an extension if you want. I'd bought the TV when it was covered without limitation. Not only did Costco honor their warranty, but since they weren't selling LED projection TVs anymore, they gave me a top of the line 60" flatscreen SmartTV! I'm shopping at Costco because they treat their customers right.

Stiletto
01-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Meli, I think most people just ride with their predjudice against these warranties, as expressed here.

LeeG
01-05-2013, 08:06 PM
I have a set of Rodd silverware.
Mum bought it for my 18th birthday.
It has a lifetime guarantee.
A few years back, I was in the store where it was purchased.
I mentioned that some of the silver plate was bubbling where I had left some spoons wetand spooned together.
The Sales person said to bring them in and they would send them to Rodd for replacement.
My mum keeps taking her 35 year old pans back to the store when the handles or lid knobs finallywear out. They replace them with the latest style.
pI wonder how a company can afford to do this? Maybe so few people actually bother to take things back, the guarantee does what it is intended to do... Promote the qualityof their goods.

I never bothered taking the spoons back :)

I love companies like that.

Kokatat is a company that makes kayaking gear here in the US. They are like that wrt to their Goretex paddling gear. Wonderful company.