PDA

View Full Version : Marine Ply In Cumbria, UK?

rbm109
12-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Hello all!
Merry Christmas.
I've not been on here for a while since restoring our Prout folding dinghy (and yes, she does sail) but now I've taken it into my head to build a second plywood canoe.
The first was build from exterior grade ply which is easily available round here in the South Lakes. However, were I to want marine ply I'm wondering what and where to get it.
Searching the web throws up different flavours of marine ply. Some seems to be as little as 13 per sheet and some more like 40 or 50 per sheet. Apart from cosmetic considerations, is there anything wrong with the cheaper stuff? They all seem to have the same BS certification.
Second, to get it delivered costs HUGE amounts of money but I can't find anybody locally who stock the cheap stuff - I have a big roof rack so I can easily collect.

Any info gratefully received.

Cheers!

Robert.

keyhavenpotterer
12-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Fyne Boat Kits http://www.fyneboatkits.co.uk/ based in Kendal drive to France, I understand, to import the very fine quality Joubert marine plywood. I would have thought they would sell you the small amount you need for a canoe. Canoes/kayaks can have a lot of twist and cheaper ply may well give you lots of grief splitting.

Brian