PDA

View Full Version : is this acceptable to you, or just wrong?

Paul Pless
12-27-2012, 07:42 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/3de0cb3ad5e28e699f3b278a42ba6ba6/tumblr_mfjwfaPNNk1qh5b2co1_1280.jpg

Meli
12-27-2012, 07:47 AM
No life jackets?

Bram V
12-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Water does not seem to be all that rough, it looks warm, I would use a life jacket here, but I can understand the lack, I personally do not wear a life jacket every time I am on the Botter, but that is entirely a different boat.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
12-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Lovely photo of nice boat.

It is of course "of its period". A good friend of mine, of my age, still does not wear an LJ/PFD - her father was a yacht broker, she has sailed literally all her life and owns a rather well known boat.

Rich Jones
12-27-2012, 08:32 AM
What's wrong is that they've got the spinnaker poll slapped up against the forestay. Pull that puppy back. No reason that spinnaker should be flying way out there.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Finding a helm with legs that exactly fit the cockpit width can be a challenge on modern yachts.

This one has it right.

Garret
12-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Or is he talking about the weather helm? The tangle of lines on the deck & cabintop?

I'm terrible about wearing a pfd on Neoga (unless alone or it's night) so I'll throw no stones there. Small boats, I'm more likely to.

Hwyl
12-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Is the question about lifejackets or sail trim. They would be better off to drop the spinnaker and raise the jib. If they keep the spinnaker, tthey really need a booming out strut as the pole is on the forestay and the guy is at the wrong angle.

If it's about the woman driving, I have no problem, but she ought to be looking where she's going, they're not making that much leeway.

If it's about the boomkin, well they have their advocates.
Is it a Concordia? Nice to see one without the mizzen

Andrew Craig-Bennett
12-27-2012, 08:47 AM
What's wrong is that they've got the spinnaker poll slapped up against the forestay. Pull that puppy back. No reason that spinnaker should be flying way out there.

You are right; putting a straight edge on the picture shows that the pole IS on the forestay.

Chris Coose
12-27-2012, 08:56 AM
The harried Captain is anxiously looking forward. He should know that Murphy is about to step over the taft rail due to the amount of rags he's got hung out.

Willin'
12-27-2012, 09:09 AM
I'd pull that sheet out of the water before they wrap the wheel. I'd also lower the pole a bit and get it off the headstay. Can't tell if they're raising that blooper, dropping it or ignoring it. My what a tangle of spaghetti at the mast.

A gaff headed Concordia sloop, that's a first for me.

Biggest fault, the helmsperson should be sporting a bikini!

Garret
12-27-2012, 09:12 AM
but she ought to be looking where she's going, they're not making that much leeway.

I think she's looking at the photographer.

bamamick
12-27-2012, 09:14 AM
It's too tight to be flying that 'chute, but it's not blowing that hard and I am pretty sure those folks knew what they were doing. I NEVER allow my pole to rest against the headstay on any of my boats, but that's just me.

My biggest problem with it is that I don't see anyone with the main in their hand (unless it's the driver, and she ain't going to do too much with it even if she does have it), and that is NOT acceptable, imo.

Mickey Lake

Willin'
12-27-2012, 09:21 AM
So, what's your beef, Paul?

Paul Pless
12-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Its a concordia. I was wondering where its mizzen might be. . .

Bruce Taylor
12-27-2012, 09:27 AM
It's wrong that they're having so much fun while I'm sitting here watching the snow pile up on the deck.

S.V. Airlie
12-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Is the question about lifejackets or sail trim. They would be better off to drop the spinnaker and raise the jib. If they keep the spinnaker, tthey really need a booming out strut as the pole is on the forestay and the guy is at the wrong angle.

If it's about the woman driving, I have no problem, but she ought to be looking where she's going, they're not making that much leeway.

If it's about the boomkin, well they have their advocates.
Is it a Concordia? Nice to see one without the mizzen

:).:)

Willin'
12-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Its a concordia. I was wondering where its mizzen might be. . .

Is that it laying on the port deck?:D

Garret
12-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Is that it laying on the port deck?:D

I'm thinking that with the way they are using the chute they think they might need a spare spinnaker pole!

I don't see a spot for a mizzen on the aft deck.....

Gerarddm
12-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Unless he was a cross dresser, that is not Mr. Hunt at the helm.

I have a huge issue withe the spinnaker pole against the head stay, which by the deflection seems really slack. And the jib should either be fully up or all the way down, nobody looks like they are tending it. I also want to know what that spiky pike-head looking object is in front of the woman sitting on the windward rail, it looks like a chest wound waiting to happen.

Paul Pless
12-27-2012, 12:05 PM
I also want to know what that spiky pike-head looking object is in front of the woman sitting on the windward rail.Its the charlie noble for the stove.

Garret
12-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Unless he was a cross dresser, that is not Mr. Hunt at the helm.

I have a huge issue withe the spinnaker pole against the head stay, which by the deflection seems really slack. And the jib should either be fully up or all the way down, nobody looks like they are tending it. I also want to know what that spiky pike-head looking object is in front of the woman sitting on the windward rail, it looks like a chest wound waiting to happen.

Certainly could be a 60's long-haired guy.

The "spiky thing" looks like a stack for a stove

Chris Coose
12-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Ray Hunt seemed to have an innate ability to get the most out of whatever boat he sailed.

Proly broke a lot of sht too.

bamamick
12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Quite correct, Ray is to her immediate right and is tailing the spinnaker sheet. Off the wind his talent is more useful there.

The Charlie Noble to windward is not nearly as dangerous as it looks.

As to the partially raised Jib - this was common in the 50's and 60's when people tried to carry as much sail as possible at all times. With that very large Main, his center of effort was pretty far aft, and the extra sail area up forward probably helped to balance the rig a little. From the photo it appears that his daughter is fighting the Weather Helm even with more sail forward. On the yawls, you can ease off on the mizzen to reduce your weather helm but not so for the sloop. I assume Harrier no longer has the boomkin and large main in an effort to reduce her weather helm as well as to get a better rating.

Regardless of the wisdom of all these questionable ways this boat is being sailed, Ray Hunt seemed to have an innate ability to get the most out of whatever boat he sailed.

I have done the partially raised jib thing on reaches to try and ooch a little more speed out of the boat, but I don't know if it ever really worked. Might have made me feel better, but that's about it.

Someone above mentioned a blooper. Well, a blooper is for going dead downwind, and I think that every one of these hotshot racers today with their assy's should be made to spend a good few hours trying to keep a blooper full. Lord how I hated those things.

Mickey Lake

purri
12-27-2012, 03:27 PM
If they are related to the Kennedys or Auchinloss's they don't need pfds due to (their) divine right...

Monkey Butler
12-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Five guys and one chick... and she's driving?

Yeah, some thing wrong. That and the fact that you intententionaly don't title your posts pisses me off.

Garret
12-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Five guys and one chick... and she's driving?

Yeah, some thing wrong. That and the fact that you intentionally don't title your posts pisses me off.

It's titled "is this acceptable to you, or just wrong?".......

Paul Pless
12-27-2012, 08:23 PM
That and the fact that you intententionaly don't title your posts pisses me off.whatever do you mean?

Garret
12-27-2012, 08:44 PM
whatever do you mean?

Reading issues.

Ian McColgin
12-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Grand shot of a boat being well sailed. On a tight reach like that the pole is perforce on the headstay with enough force to make a deflection. It does not mean the headstay/backstay tension is wrong. And on a boat like that in such weather, I'd not be issuing PFDs. Looking good.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
12-28-2012, 09:45 AM
It can be a world class way to load up your mast step and hurt your garboards, though.

Ted Hoppe
12-28-2012, 11:33 AM
I think it is a great photograph of a classic boat being sailed well - we can all add the narrative. I would like to believe the crew is skipper sons and/or friends captured in a moment with a range finder camera from a boat racing in parallel. We all wish we had a great photograph of the day our kids went sailing with us on the family boat. Most never get one.

Old Frog
01-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Harrier I believe. The transom sure helps.

The "spikey thing" on the starboard house top is the smoke head. Harrier has/had a "real" galley stove (photo below) and not one of the typical Concordia stoves on the bulkhead.

I understand she never had a mizzen or step. I do not remember if she had the chainplates for one.

The man kneeling on the port cockpit seat is blocking the end and cleat for the mainsheet. Someone may be tending it. Probably doesn't matter on that boat. Harrier had the typical main sheet arrangement for the non-bridge deck 41 sloops.

Given Harriers ownership and their combined racing success, I will not comment on their sail trim and the way they are flying the chute. They have far more wins & trophies that I ever will.

What is wrong, IMHO, is that we do not get to she boats as pretty or as simple as this much any more. Almost all of today's boats a just plain ugly. Those rare few boats that do have nice lines are loaded with junk, biminis, dodgers, arches, and all the other consumers products.

Just look at that cockpit: Small, simple, easy to brace in, tiller steering. We should all be so lucky....

David W Pratt
01-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Carrying too much helm, I would ease the vang to get the tiller back amidships, other than that looks like fun