PDA

View Full Version : What have you cooked today.

Meli
12-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Its getting all christmassy all of a sudden.:d:confused::d
We've made 3 doz greek shortbread cookies.
9 rounds of trad short bread
3 doz choc brandy balls
2 doz french truffles with cointreau.
I slab of rosewater and almond baclava
a bunch of small spanokopita.

Peerie Maa
12-23-2012, 04:52 AM
Der Management made all sorts of cookies yetsterday, gingerbread and mincemeat cookies included in the mix. Today they are baking the ham.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-23-2012, 04:55 AM
So far, two all beef hot dogs, but it's only 5 AM here so the possibilities are endless.

Meli
12-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Der Management made all sorts of cookies yetsterday, gingerbread and mincemeat cookies included in the mix. Today they are baking the ham.
Who died?:)
^Cumbrian Joke

Peerie Maa
12-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Who died?:)
^Cumbrian Joke

A sheep, a pig, lots of shrimps, a crab. Yummy

Meli
12-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Making any rum butter?

skuthorp
12-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Fortunately all that stuff already cooked. With 36c temps today cooking was limited to BBQing a snapper for dinner.

Meli
12-23-2012, 06:03 AM
I broke my rule and put the A/C on :)

skuthorp
12-23-2012, 06:05 AM
I broke my rule and put the A/C on :)
Couple of swims and a snooze in the hammock by the creek. Wind's just getting up now.

Meli
12-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Couple of swims and a snooze in the hammock by the creek. Wind's just getting up now.
Looks like tomorrow and christmas day will be pearlers.
beach christmas eve I think:D

Bram V
12-23-2012, 06:29 AM
I am starting on my Death by Chocolate, to be eaten the day after tomorrow. All in all I'm making the following things:

25th with friends
Mint and pear soup
Bell peppers filled with tomato, onion, garlic, basil, old cheese and anchovy
Death by Chocolate

and for the 26th (with my family)
Duck with cranberry-bramble sauce and brussel sprouts with walnut and cheese, I'll also roll some beef in bacon to approximate the taste for someone who does not like duck.

Peerie Maa
12-23-2012, 06:31 AM
Making any rum butter?

Of course. Well brandy not rum.

Curtism
12-23-2012, 06:34 AM
It's become somewhat of a tradition that I smoke a turkey for our families holiday meals, primarily because of a brother-in-law who insists he knows "the trick to roasting one without drying it out". The family matriarch, via popular consent, has determined that he's done making practice runs . . . so I get to pull graveyard shift in order to have the bird done at a reasonable hour X-mas day. Since I'm a night owl anyway I actually look forward to this part of the holiday.

Peerie Maa
12-23-2012, 06:41 AM
We have decided not to do the full 4 course blow out this year, so we are not roasting huge lumps of protein, but are doing a running buffet, with soup for warmth (I'm being allowed to cook hot & sour :D). Hence the crab and potted shrimp. Der Management have planned all sorts of small stuff. :D

Meli
12-23-2012, 06:42 AM
I bought just the breast, I'll roll it round some fresh tarragon garlic and garlic and butter, bung it in an oven bag and flambe it with brandy chuck in some cream, pour off the sauce and save it for ron.
Im serving cold buffet breakfast.
and I have a whole eye fillet that I'll roast with a basting of fresh ginger and light soy sauce. Should be good cold.
my sisters baking the ham with cloves.
sort of a two day running buffet starting at 11 am, so im doing green eggs and ham, yoghert with fresh mango, basil and fetta muffins, raspberry muffins, olive bread and sourdough rolls and preseves and a big bowl of fresh fruit.
And chocolate croissants
that should keep the kids fed for the week:d

Curtism
12-23-2012, 06:57 AM
Hot and sour? Sob, sniff . . . we lost a dear pal this past year who used to make huge pots of that on occasion, as well as a to-die-for (if not from) Thai vegetable soup. Here I am wishing he'd taught me how to make some of those dishes.

Hmm, I love these foody threads.

Peerie Maa
12-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Hot and sour? Sob, sniff . . . we lost a dear pal this past year who used to make huge pots of that on occasion, as well as a to-die-for (if not from) Thai vegetable soup. Here I am wishing he'd taught me how to make some of those dishes.

Hmm, I love these foody threads.

Google is your friend. There are vegi recipes, recipes with chicken, all sorts. If I can cook it you can.

Curtism
12-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Google is your friend. There are vegi recipes, recipes with chicken, all sorts. If I can cook it you can.

Oh, I don't know about that. Aside from my somewhat limited skills, even though I do most of the cooking here at home, I'm but one of two people in the extended family who like that sort of thing. So, it's a little hard to justify the effort.

Meli
12-23-2012, 07:22 AM
It should freeze.

Curtism
12-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Good point, Meli. Might try a small batch around my birthday, after the holidays when there's more room in the frizzer.

S.V. Airlie
12-23-2012, 11:56 AM
I didn't cook much. A leg of lamb. As I live alone, the lamb will more than likely last to New Years'. As far as goodies etc. I just don't like cooking for one. Boring in fact!

Bruce Taylor
12-23-2012, 12:00 PM
We just got our power back, after a two-day outage. Now that the oven works again, the kids will make Pfeffernüsse.

David W Pratt
12-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Earlier, amaretti pignoli, recipe in earlier thread, but a pm will get it
Today, started little ham and cheese sandwiches on Hawaiian rolls, with melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard and poppy seeds. TThey sit over night and get heated tomorrow
Tomorrow will start a pot roast for Christmas Day

spirit
12-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Crunchy granola. I used the following recipe:
Mix: 1/2C maple syrup, 1/2C brown sugar, 1 Tbs vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2C light cooking oil.
Fold in: 4C regular rolled oats, 2C chopped raw almonds and a generous 1/2C shredded coconut.
Press flat in a large greased tin, and bake undisturbed for 40 minutes at 325 degrees.
Cool well, and break gently into large chunks. Store in zip-locked bags.

David G
12-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Nothing yet. Brownies later to take to a Christmas Eve oyster feast.

Captain Intrepid
12-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Put the Christmas pudding on to steam about 2 hours ago. It's a little late, won't really have time to mature, but I only just got back home. Hard sauce to come on Christmas day!

I also made 3 bottles of Irish Cream. Should last about 2 days!

S.V. Airlie
12-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Nothing yet. Brownies later to take to a Christmas Eve oyster feast.I suspect they might be hash brownies!

Paul Pless
12-23-2012, 02:41 PM
I suspect they might be hash brownies!he could send some this way

Canoez
12-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Well, a vegetarian white bean and "soysage" cassoulet. Two cheddar and caramelized onion tarts, a raspberry sauce for a chocolate mousse cake and a roasted shallot vinaigrette. I'll prep some stuffed mushrooms tomorrow and some roasted veggies. Steaks, cod with pistachio crust will be prepared on Christmas. SWMBO has dried fruit soaking in rim for a Christmas cake.

SMARTINSEN
12-23-2012, 03:01 PM
I addition to the sausage and peppers, we made some Chex party mix, Gulf shrimp cocktail with some really hot sauce just the way I like it, home made guacamole and chips, apricots stuffed with blue cheese and pistachios, all to go along with various fresh fruits and cheese and crackers. And home made gingerbread with freshly whipped cream for dessert. BIL makes a wonderful cheesecake and if we are lucky, he will bring that, too. We will wash it all down with various wines, and eggnog optionally spiked with a choice of Bourbon or rum.

We are having our Christmas Eve get together this evening, tomorrow is a work and travel day for some of us. When we were kids, we used to always have a pork pie on Christmas Eve, but I did not get around to that this year, maybe for New Year's...

Then we are off to Pam's mother's on Christmas day for lasagna-two varieties, vegetarian and meat.

LeeG
12-23-2012, 03:36 PM
6lbs country ribs, one pile apple sauce and vinegar marinade and another a peppery marinade. 5hrs slow cook in the Webber with apple wood smoke

Figment
12-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Sweet potatoes Anna with a layer of apples.

Paul Pless
12-23-2012, 04:00 PM
nothing yet, but i'm thinking of busting off with an oyster stew in a bit. . .

purri
12-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Baked fish Thai style, sashimi, langoustine (yabbies), blue swimmer crabs, prawns and oysters for tonight's dinner. Chinese smoked duck and char siew, smoked ham with Turkish flat bread for watching the start of the Sydney Hobart race on Boxing Day.

Gerarddm
12-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Stuffed mushroom caps - breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, a hint of spinach, parmesan cheese, olive oil. Bake. O yum.

Rum_Pirate
12-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Two well done hard boiled eggs

http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/i_believe_in_hard_boiled_eggs_print-rfc0c07b5d3b240eaaa0423f92c142656_wad_216.jpg

purri
12-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Google Tom Yum recipe.

fishrswim
12-24-2012, 03:44 AM
I didn't cook much. A leg of lamb. As I live alone, the lamb will more than likely last to New Years'. As far as goodies etc. I just don't like cooking for one. Boring in fact!

Airlie, you need to get out more. There's a little sweetie out there just looking for someone just like you. Hard to believe, I know, but true. Have a goodun..