PDA

View Full Version : I love weekends

George Jung
12-22-2012, 08:52 AM
And why shouldn't I? They're mine to fritter away however I wish, with no demands of office time or travel. I generally find I get up, without 'benefit' of an alarm, a few hours earlier than usual. The house is mine, as swmbo sleeps in (and now that it's Christmas, the kids, as well), I play in The Bilge, fresh cuppa coffee at hand. Outside my breakfast nook are several feeders, as well as suet on the trees - and the area looks like an aviary at daybreak, with just a load of different birds competing for breakfast. We live near a wildlife preserve (about 300 feet away), and have mourning doves here - something we saw little of in SD (had Turtle doves there) - so had a flock of them swooping in, out for awhile. Nuthatches and woodpeckers of various sizes and sorts, climbing up/down the trees; various chickadees and sparrows. A pair of bluejays showed up, but were a bit cowed by a large woodpecker that had set up by the suet. Three male cardinals showed up - brilliant red, accompanied by a pair of females.

And then suddenly they were all gone. Struck me as odd - until I glanced across at my neighbors fence, perhaps 200' away - and noticed an 'irregularity' on his buttressed fence. A large hawk had landed, perhaps looking for something at the birdfeeders, as well.

Good times.

Peerie Maa
12-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Nice.
We are on a nearly treeless island, so we do not get a great variety of birds at the feeders. We have had what I think is a sparrow hawk hunting feral pigeons though. Had one chase a pigeon in through the open back door :eek: That took a little sorting out, its not easy untangling talons from net curtains.

George Jung
12-22-2012, 09:11 AM
That's hilarious! In SD, we had a sparrow hawk show up at our feeders on occasion - the chill that imparted on the small-bird festivities was amazing! They'd huddle deep inside the branches of our small bushes until the hawk left - and on occasion, the hawk would try to 'grab' one that was too brave. It seemed to like our backyard - on a few occasions, it brought lunch with it, eating it in plain sight of the back window.

BTW, 'island' certainly has its appeal. How far are you from the beach/water? Seems to me you've photoed those before - maybe provide a link to that thread?

JBreeze
12-22-2012, 11:44 AM
One of these?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x92/jbreeze_albums/DSCN0352.jpg

Peerie Maa
12-22-2012, 11:56 AM
One of these?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x92/jbreeze_albums/DSCN0352.jpg

It had long skinny legs, which is why I thought sparrow hawk, but we also have a family of peregrine living on this:http://production.investis.com/astute/images/bae_home2.jpg
in one of those flood light openings, so it could have been one of them.

Lew Barrett
12-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Among it's blessings, Seattle has a great bird population all year round, with all sorts of jays and cardinals, ravens, crows and the like, raptors of several types as well as the usual run of urban fauna including pigeons, sparrows, barn swallows, robins, woodpeckers and hummingbirds. There is a constant small chorus/cacophony outside my window at daybreak all year long.

Of course, as I am retired, every evening is Friday night and every day is Saturday for me, and I can enjoy the concert whenever I have the inclination. Of late, it has been dimmed a bit as my tinnitus has gotten worse, but it's still great to hear. It's not unusual to see small birds harassing the mating pair of bald eagles that have been living in their in a large cedar in Kinnear Park, just a block away. Their courage is amazing.

Thanks for posting, GJ!

purri
12-22-2012, 03:46 PM
On my daily walk around the beaches and bluffs I see anything from 16 to 28 native species, not bad for only 6 km from the CBD. Then there are the ocean wanders and little penguins, 4 raptors, 5 species of parrot, kookaburras, wrens, a sacred ibis and honeyeaters etc.