PDA

View Full Version : Face time?

bamamick
12-20-2012, 08:04 AM
My wife was given an I-pad by her company for Christmas, and while we were out in Colorado my kids set this 'Face Time' thing up for her, and I can promise you, no one could have ever given her a better gift. Listening to her talk to our two daughters out in Colorado with her being able to see them was just so special. The funniest thing was when our youngest daughter's dog heard Brenda's voice and came over and stuck her snoot in the picture.

If you are like us and have people that you love and miss very much, this is something you should look into. It's a whole lot easier than Skype because it goes with you wherever you are. This is about the best innovation I have seen in awhile.

Mickey Lake

elf
12-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Every time I try out Skype and leave it launched sooner or later I hear some loud yelling from the computer warning me out how my computer will run slowly or get a virus if I don't buy some application that "cleans it up" and "prevents unwanted attacks". It always takes me a while to realize that Skype is the culprit and I've just been the victim of VOIP spam.

I can't imagine why anyone wants that in their life, but surely those who use Skype and have to leave it active in case of unexpected VOIP calls must consider that worth the trouble.

Fortunately there is also a video feed in the Facebook message tool, so as long as the other person has a camera in or on their computer or other device one can interact with them the same way FaceTime functions.

These VOIP applications all have their limits. FaceTime requires another Mac user, the Facebook tool requires that the other person also be on Facebook, Skype plagues you with ugliness, and giving up a landline gives one no 911 in emergencies and a big invasion of privacy.

botebum
12-20-2012, 08:52 AM
No 911?
Cells have 911 capability and can actually use the GPS in your phone to pinpoint your location.

Doug

Willin'
12-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Hard to believe what we used to read about in our Weekly Readers in elementary school is really here, isn't it? We can talk to and see people on the phone, simply amazing stuff. It must feel the way our grandparents felt about horseless carriages, radio, television and air travel.

I wonder what's going to amaze our grandkids when they grow up.

botebum
12-20-2012, 09:09 AM
It is pretty strange, isn't it?
I graduated high school in 1982 and there was one computer in my school that was linked through a phone line to the career program on a computer at Syracuse Univ. Pretty amazing stuff.
Now I can shop, research, chat, post to an international forum and take 8 megapixel pictures with a device that's smaller than my wallet.

Doug

Canoez
12-20-2012, 09:18 AM
VOIP usually has what is called E911, Emily - I believe it is federally mandated.

From the FCC (http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/911-services/voip/Welcome.html):

In May 2005, the FCC adopted rules requiring providers of interconnected VoIP services to supply 911 emergency calling capabilities to their customers as a mandatory feature of the service by November 28, 2005. "Interconnected" VoIP services are VoIP services that allow a user generally to receive calls from and make calls to the traditional telephone network. Under the FCC rules, interconnected VoIP providers must:

Deliver all 911 calls to the local emergency call center;
Deliver the customer’s call back number and location information where the emergency call center is capable of receiving it; and
Inform their customers of the capabilities and limitations of their VoIP 911 service.

SWMBO's folks have an iPad and the family got together last weekend to celebrate Christmas a bit early as my BIL and SIL's families wanted to have Christmas day at home. So, from across the Atlantic, we got to join in on the festivities of the day. Well, except the food - which looked really good. We used Skype, but could have used Face Time. It's amazing technology, really.

BrianW
12-20-2012, 12:38 PM
I've used it from Afghanistan. Works good for keeping in touch.

StevenBauer
12-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I haven't found any of those issues with Skype. And it is just as portable as FaceTime.

Steven

Paul Pless
12-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Hard to believe what we used to read about in our Weekly Readers in elementary school is really here, isn't it? We can talk to and see people on the phone, simply amazing stuff. It must feel the way our grandparents felt about horseless carriages, radio, television and air travel.

I wonder what's going to amaze our grandkids when they grow up.

It is pretty strange, isn't it?
I graduated high school in 1982 and there was one computer in my school that was linked through a phone line to the career program on a computer at Syracuse Univ. Pretty amazing stuff.
Now I can shop, research, chat, post to an international forum and take 8 megapixel pictures with a device that's smaller than my wallet.

Doug

I would liked to have (among many other experiences shared of course) to have seen my dad's reaction to current computer technology and the internet. He died in 1991. During his life, much of his career was devoted to relatively high tech engineering and manufacturing. I remember the first CAD computer he bought for his company, around 1980 or so. It was a Sun Microsystems and filled a small room adjacent to his office, I think it cost around $150,000.00.

Willin'
12-20-2012, 01:42 PM
I would liked to have (among many other experiences shared of course) to have seen my dad's reaction to current computer technology and the internet. He died in 1991. During his life, much of his career was devoted to relatively high tech engineering and manufacturing. I remember the first CAD computer he bought for his company, around 1980 or so. It was a Sun Microsystems and filled a small room adjacent to his office, I think it cost around $150,000.00.

My Dad, at 90, studiously ignores anything about the computer unless Mom prints it out for him to read. Mom, otoh, uses the computer as it was originally intended, to forward cute e-mails to everyone in the known universe.

David W Pratt
12-20-2012, 05:06 PM
I got a pair for the Admiral and our daughter last Christmas.
We use Face Time to chat every Sunday, and see the Grandson.
They are also 4-G enabled so if you have cell service, you are at a wi-fi hot spot.
Also got an Apple TV box that allowss to put the display on the big TV