PDA

View Full Version : Making a mark, the Presidential Legacy

skuthorp
12-20-2012, 05:40 AM
It seems that most US Presidents try to leave a positive mark on history, and the second term is where that mark is often made. GW being the exception. I wonder if Pres. Obama has seized on the opportunity presented by this terrible affair and it's effect on the US electorate to make some sort of gun control his 'mark'? I wonder if you had a referendum on the subject what the result would look like.
I think many gun owners would vote for restrictions, even if in this case they would have made no difference.

Paul Pless
12-20-2012, 06:11 AM
So unlike many Obama supporters you're not seeing Obamacare, enacted in his first year of his first term as his big legacy item? me either. . .

John Smith
12-20-2012, 06:21 AM
If Obama brought peace to Israel and Palistine, you'd not give him credit.

You already deny him credit for GM and Chrysler still being here. You deny him credit for ending our downward spiral and steadily moving upward, economy wise.

My expectations on gun control is it won't pass the senate, if it passes the House. If it does manage to pass, it won't accomplish anything.

Congress has a role in all of this, and I think it's important for congress to end it's dysfunction. The president can't do that.

A great deal of the things in this country that are moving backwards are doing so in the states controlled by Republicans. President can't do anything about that.

There are still people questioning his citizenship.

Too bad.

Meli
12-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Double creds

Paul Pless
12-20-2012, 06:27 AM
You already deny him credit for GM and Chrysler still being here. What idiocy! I lived in Detroit at the height of the auto industry crisis and my wife worked for a major auto maker at the time and our roommate and best friend worked for GM. We've moved about 30 minutes from Detroit now, but my wife is still in the auto industry as are most of our friends and neighbors. I was and remain outspoken in my support of the auto bailouts 100% and continue to cheer GM and Chrysler (and Ford too) onward.

John Smith
12-20-2012, 06:30 AM
What kind of idiot are you? I lived in Detroit at the height of the auto industry crisis and my wife worked for a major auto maker at the time and our roommate and best friend worked for GM. We've moved about 30 minutes from Detroit now, but my wife is still in the auto industry as are most of our friends and neighbors. I was and remain outspoken in my support of the auto bailouts 100% and continue to cheer GM and Chrysler (and Ford too) onward.

Then you should include that on a list of Obama successes. Put that in his legacy and smoke it.

skuthorp
12-20-2012, 06:30 AM
I think that 'Obamacare' is a start.
Let me give you an unpleasant scenario. The Pres. goes all out to bring in some controls, it get's rolled by the GOP. Then, and given the record it's almost inevitable, another event occurs and the Pres. says "Don't blame me, I wanted some reg's but the GOP knocked me back, give me the power to act".

Paul Pless
12-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Then you should include that on a list of Obama successes. Put that in his legacy and smoke it.Are you giving W some credit too?:D

John Smith
12-20-2012, 06:39 AM
Are you giving W some credit too?:D

Yes, he did have a hand in it: http://prospect.org/article/unpopular-successful-auto-bailout

John Smith
12-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Legacies are in the eye of the beholder. Reagan has a marvelous legacy based on something other than what he did. People today invoke his name in support of positions they hold that he didn't hold. They worship him, but hate defict spending. Go figure.

SMARTINSEN
12-20-2012, 09:27 PM
I wonder if you had a referendum on the subject what the result would look like.

We do not do national referenda in this country. The closest that we come is through the election of our Congressmen. Or polling by the mainstream media to get some sense of the national pulse, but those results must always be taken with a grain of salt.

Right now the President has his hands full trying to keep the ship of state off the lee shores of the economy, war, a recalcitrant Republican party, and yes even the problem of gun violence brought to the fore by the tragedy in Newtown, along with a host of other problems. I doubt that he has much time to think about his legacy.

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-20-2012, 11:13 PM
So unlike many Obama supporters you're not seeing Obamacare, enacted in his first year of his first term as his big legacy item? me either. . .

Obamacare is big ,big, big. It's your sense of proportion that is off.
Can you imagine a legacy that includes a Nobel Peace Prize, a medical insurance program that's been talked about for 100 years, steering the country thru' a serious recession and then smashing the gun lobby? That would put Obama in the top ten. And there are probably a few more best selling books to be produced after retirement.