PDA

View Full Version : I am very proud of my son-in-law!

bamamick
12-18-2012, 09:15 PM
His idea for a commerical was just chosen for the Super Bowl, for the second year in a row. Pretty impressive in his sphere, and though I know nothing whatsoever about how he goes about his work or gets it accomplished, it's obvious that he is a serious up and comer in his profession (he is an art director at an ad agency in Boulder, Colorado). My daughter is very excited and happy, and that makes us happy.

Besides that, he's not some computer nerd. He was a star pitcher for the baseball team in college, and since moving to Colorado has become involved in doing some serious rock climbing. He took me to Eldorado Canyon the other day to show me a climb he had made and my initial response was 'holy smokes, please don't show this to your mother-in-law'.

I don't know if I am supposed to talk about this commercial, but I will let you know which one it is when they tell me I can do so.

Mickey Lake

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Wow, Mickey that's huge.
to have two chosen means you aren't an up and comer: You have arrived. This is big time bragging stuff in the ad business.

bamamick
12-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Yep, and he is 29 years old.

The commercial he produced last year was the one for Best Buy, with Phillipe Kahn and some of the innovators of the cellular phone featured. It wasn't too flashy, but was very well received by the people who understand these things.

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
12-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Shouldn't he be getting you tickets to the Superbowl? :D

bamamick
12-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Ha! I never thought about that. I am just very proud that he and my daughter can pay their very own bills (especially their student loans)!

Mickey Lake

CWSmith
12-18-2012, 09:39 PM
I once flew next to a lovely young lady (I was young then, too) who was in the ad business. By the time the plane landed she knew my life story and I knew virtually nothing about her. They are a very interesting breed those ad people. Of course, you might want to appreciate us computer nerds or stop using the internet.

B_B
12-18-2012, 10:07 PM
...to have two chosen means you aren't an up and comer: You have arrived...
+1!
Congrats Mickey, and yes, keep yer mouth shut or Thanksgivings for generations are going to be tainted by the scandal! ;)

Bruce Taylor
12-18-2012, 11:33 PM
I guess that, in the advertising world, it doesn't get any bigger than he Super Bowl, eh? Good on him. Y> Link to the ad, when it comes out, OK? A few of us don't have TV, and won't see the game...

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-19-2012, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the change - an entirely positive thread - decent people doing good work and having some pride in it.

Thanks again.

Uncle Duke
12-19-2012, 02:43 PM
"Crispin Porter + Bogusky", I presume? Hot shop! Congratulations to him (and you, by proxy!)

TomF
12-19-2012, 02:46 PM
You have reason to be very proud. Congrats to him ... and to your daughter for her good judgement. ;)

Curtism
12-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Way cool, Mickey. Be sure to let us know which one when you find out.

Mom was a commercial artist and evenings watching the tube we'd often dissect the ads, what the intent, target audience and how good or bad we thought they were. She's long retired from the buiz but now and then she'll show me a piece of ad copy and take such delight in trashing it verbally, particularly the more modern approaches and most especially the computer generated stuff. Love that old 'mudgeon when she gets to crankin' on "these darn new kids".

S/V Laura Ellen
12-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Doesn't get much better than that. Congrats to your son-in-law.