PDA

View Full Version : lets's debunk the party affiliation myth on gun control

Meli
12-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Im a little annoyed, that some peeps on both sides of the political devide are seemingly having there views howled down in the gun debates and being lumped into there political goupings regardless of what they are saying.

its not really very constructive, when some repubs are trying to state that they feel something needs to change, or the repub leaning, or the left leaning gun owners state they dont see any way to change.
This is above politics.
poll is public

John Smith
12-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Sometimes we only see what we are looking for.

I'm curious as where you put me. I don't believe the 2nd Amendment means what we've interpreted to mean. It's only intended purpose was to maintain a well regulated Militia and the government had the responsibility to arm that MIlitia and the people had the right to keep those arms the government supplied so they'd be readily available if/when needed.

I also think that if there was no 2nd Amendment, there is nothing inthe constitution that prohibits people from owning guns; it's actually silent on that.

I'm opposed to such a well armed public, but I think laws aimed at changing that are a waste of time and counterproductive. Already the fear of new regs has driven up sales of guns and clips that are apt to be outlawed. It takes time for laws to work their way through congress, and an awful lot of expected to be banned things can be bought during that time.

Pre-legislation gun sales will mean lower than normal prices.

I've tried to be clear that it's my opinion we cannot disarm the public. That window is long closed. What we can do is modify buildings to that people inside them, be they kids at school or shoppers in malls, will be much safer; protected from this sort of mass murder. We cannot do anyting about outdoor areas.

We are reaping what we sowed. We cannot unsow. All those guns are already out there and there is no way on earth to keep them out of the hands of people who will use them to shoot up public places.

I'm also not sure why a single incident that kills 30 people at one time is worse than 30 incidents killing people one at a time.

This is life in the USA today. I think we're stuck with it.

Where do I fit in on your chart of where we fit?

PhaseLockedLoop
12-18-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm also not sure why a single incident that kills 30 people at one time is worse than 30 incidents killing people one at a time...

Or thousands of people killed one or a few at a time. Though I of understand why people are shocked and outraged about such a grisly incident, it's depressing to me that these legitimate emotions are being fanned into hysteria. Concentrating on preventing mass murders is fruitless, and distracts from the analysis of gun crime--and crime in general.

Ian McColgin
12-18-2012, 12:32 PM
An assault weapons ban is being introduced in the Senate and in the House. The degree of partisan line-up and obeisance to the NRA should fully answer this question. Meanwhile, it's not that gun control must be a partisan issue, but rather that the Republican party has sold its soul to right wing plutocrats who profit at several levels by keeping people fearfully emotional about this and some other issues.

David W Pratt
12-18-2012, 06:23 PM
How about "I lean L/R and want fewer regs"?
CT has some of the strictest gun laws in the land. For a tragically ironic experience go to the Brady web site and read their evaluation of CT.
The shooter could not legally buy the gun he used, the gun he used was not legal in CT.
So tell me again how gun laws are going to prevent a repeat.

Dan McCosh
12-18-2012, 06:26 PM
FWIW, Gov. Snyder just vetoed a Republican bill that would have allowed guns in schools. This dismayed the 13-year-old stopped yesterday from bringing his pistol to class.

pefjr
12-18-2012, 06:35 PM
I stand up straight, and might lean into a forehand. More than one thread is in the archives, somewhere, with all the lefties and their gun ownership. I was surprised that so many owned so many guns, but in today's climate they are laying low.