PDA

View Full Version : If you are a hunter or just like wild animals or just like CATS check this one out.

ChaseKenyon
12-13-2012, 11:22 PM
my fellow hunters this is the best OMG ever.

"Hunting Alone? Guy shoots a very nice elk in N. Dakota, takes his picture using the timer on his camera, then almost suffered a coronary when
he downloaded it the next morning."

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/148200_562398740442645_2001375587_n.jpg

Ian McColgin
12-13-2012, 11:32 PM
HehHehHeh.

David G
12-13-2012, 11:49 PM
That's a spooky and amazing foto. I can see why the fellow was freaked.

As a teenager, hunting deer in the Oregon coast range, my brother and dad stayed at a stand while two neighbors walked up a canyon toward them - hopefully driving any deer in the canyon into the sights of the two in the stand. That was not my style. I was hunting with a .22 and needed to get close. My specialty was stealthiness. So I spent the day over the next ridge (but without so much as a sighting). As I came back over the ridge in the late afternoon - quietly, still in hopes of seeing a deer - I looked down on the stand where they were still sitting. Standing about 50 feet above them, watching them, was a cougar. They hadn't noticed him, and he didn't notice me. After watching for a bit, I moved, he saw me (heard me?) and took off. My father and brother didn't believe me that he'd even been there, till I finally took them up to the spot, and they saw tracks. Ever since then, I've been aware of the fact that I could be under scrutiny at any time.

purri
12-14-2012, 12:02 AM
So share the harvest eh?

Phillip Allen
12-14-2012, 03:20 AM
love it!

skuthorp
12-14-2012, 03:44 AM
Almost poetic justice, the biter bit. But I suppose that's a bit strong. Presuming that the whole animal is not removed, maybe the Cougar has learnt a thing or two about an easy meal?
I reckon he'll keep a very close eye behind him in the future.

Meli
12-14-2012, 03:48 AM
Cougars don't usually attack people do they?
unless frightened or something?

Phillip Allen
12-14-2012, 03:56 AM
Cougars don't usually attack people do they?
unless frightened or something?

they may or may not... too many variables like hunger or familiarity with humans etc. I know that's not much help. I think I saw one on my daughter's property a couple of years ago... none since or any sign at all... still I don't like the idea of my granddaughters walking through the woods to grandma's house about a mile away... but it wouldn't bother me to do it at all

P-man
12-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Almost poetic justice, the biter bit. But I suppose that's a bit strong. Presuming that the whole animal is not removed, maybe the Cougar has learnt a thing or two about an easy meal?
I reckon he'll keep a very close eye behind him in the future.

he almost certainly field dressed it there, so i imagine the cougar did get a snack.

TomF
12-14-2012, 07:01 AM
he almost certainly field dressed it there, so i imagine the cougar did get a snack.that's what I was thinking. Cougars are smart enough, surely, to learn that once a human's taken an animal, the best bits will soon be left behind.

Mrleft8
12-14-2012, 09:06 AM
If that wasn't photo-shopped, and if that guy was really hunting alone, then he must be one stupid, intensely unaware of his surroundings, dolt.

Phillip Allen
12-14-2012, 09:11 AM
If that wasn't photo-shopped, and if that guy was really hunting alone, then he must be one stupid, intensely unaware of his surroundings, dolt.

it's not that hard to believe, Doug... there are a lot of lefties it the world :)

leikec
12-14-2012, 10:31 AM

You are severely underestimating the power of the kitty....

Jeff C

RodSBT
12-14-2012, 10:39 AM
It's fake.

http://www.findmeahunt.com/blog/2010/11/05/update-elk-photo-with-mountain-lion-in-the-back-ground-fake-photo/

http://www.findmeahunt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/10_22_10-Lion1.jpg

TomF
12-14-2012, 10:50 AM
What a shame.

David G
12-14-2012, 12:22 PM
I wondered about the cat being that close. They're usually a bit more reserved. Close enough to reality to be true, though. My story, which was similar, is certainly true.

Phillip Allen
12-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I prefer to pretend that it's true :)

However, it IS malicious unless the guy in the picture thinks it's funny... johnw said so

Meli
12-14-2012, 02:18 PM
What a shame.

well think about it this way all you hunters.
the pic is true, just not that time:d

someone always has to spoil the fun:rolleyes:
miserable gits

ChaseKenyon
12-14-2012, 09:50 PM

miserable gits

all too true. Chasing/tracking cats gone bad up Red Feather lakes district in Colorado with fish and game and my marine frat brother a coordinator for hunt and remove or destroy if necessary we tracked cats regularly (when I was at CSU Ft Collins). Never ceased to amazed everyone how easy it was for the cats to observe us rather than the other way around. Yes a young lone male cold very easily drift into following hunters to eat an easy meal of the field dressing leftovers even if properly buried by the hunters(s). Familiarity by repetition wold lead such cat to gradually have less fear and more association with humans. The cat gets closer and closer to the hunter during the dressing when the hunter is not paying attention to the forest but to the job. I have known personally two big cats "cougar" "Puma" mountain lion that were "domesticated" and lived/belonged to friends of mine. Both were real Pussycats. Really you should have head them purr like a house cat. Thing is you would never know they were around till the big paw was on your arm to say hello 'bout time you visited again. I have been told that there is no know instance of a North American puma raised by a or a family of humans that has ever turned on sad humans. There are many documented cases of female cats returned to the wild who come by the Ranch or house to show off their cubs to their human family. Never forget however in the case of the young male when does his courage get high enough and or his impatience override his caution and result in an attack on the hunter before the kill is dressed? As Meli said even if from OZ This photo may be shopped but the reality of the possibility is very real. And out west in the High Rockies It is very easy for 3 hunters working a valley to be a third of a mile or more apart from each other. It can take in tough terrain, as long as 45 minutes for your partner to get to you after a kill is called.

Meli
12-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Ever been 500 k away from any civilization and been unsuspectingly booted to mars by a six foot Roo?
Then never hunt a mum and Joey.:rolleyes:
Its hard to drive with a broken pelvis.

Paul Pless
12-14-2012, 10:04 PM
What a shame.i believe the word you're looking for is 'sham'. . .

Phillip Allen
12-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Ever been 500 k away from any civilization and been unsuspectingly booted to mars by a six foot Roo?
Then never hunt a mum and Joey.:rolleyes:
Its hard to drive with a broken pelvis.

story?

RodSBT
12-14-2012, 10:48 PM

miserable gits

Yeah, I know Meli, reality just sucks.

BrianW
12-14-2012, 11:12 PM
That guy should not be waking up sleeping elk! Dangerous stuff!

David G
12-14-2012, 11:15 PM
That guy should not be waking up sleeping elk! Dangerous stuff!

Naaaahhhh... Elk are quite friendly. Just like big dogs, really. So are deer. If you don't believe me, sneak up on one and try to pet it. Have I ever told you my bowie-knife deer-hunting story?

<p.s. -- this is a joke. do not try this at home. really!>

BrianW
12-14-2012, 11:22 PM
You can tell me in person, on Thursday, if ya want. ;)

David G
12-14-2012, 11:34 PM
You can tell me in person, on Thursday, if ya want. ;)

Check your PM's

BrianW
12-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Check your PM's

Good deal! Now clear some of yours, because you are full up.

Meli
12-15-2012, 02:53 AM
story?

If you shoot at a mother Roo, she'll throw out the Joey as a decoy.
as the hunter goes to club it to death, she'll come bounding around in a circle and kick the bejesus out of you.
happened to someone I once vaguely knew, well this guy got his left femure fractured and had to drive Few hundred Kim's on one of our corrugated roads.
we laughed our arses off

George.
12-15-2012, 05:32 AM
If ever a cat is going to attack a man, that's when: crouching down in the dark, back to the cat, between the cat and a source of prey animal scent. And the cat is probably habituated, meaning it no longer cringes at your smell, and its predatory drive may overcome fight-or-flight.

Shang
12-15-2012, 09:57 AM
...As a teenager, hunting deer... I was hunting with a .22 and needed to get close...

Deer...with a .22 !

You're funnin' us aren't you, Dave

David G
12-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Deer...with a .22 !

You're funnin' us aren't you, Dave

Nope. In the coast range of oregon, the undergrowth is quite thick. It's a rain forest. So, one often does not even see a deer until it's quite close. One adopts strategies to accomplish getting quite close. When one is close enough, and the aim is careful enough, a .22 is gun enough.

I did later carry a 30.06 or a 30-30... but that had partly to do with having 'graduated' in my father's eyes, and partly out of laziness (getting close stealthily is not easy work), and partly because I started hunting further east, where visibility was dramatically better and longer shots where necessary.

David G
12-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Good deal! Now clear some of yours, because you are full up. Clear.

Phillip Allen
12-15-2012, 11:40 AM
If you shoot at a mother Roo, she'll throw out the Joey as a decoy.
as the hunter goes to club it to death, she'll come bounding around in a circle and kick the bejesus out of you.
happened to someone I once vaguely knew, well this guy got his left femure fractured and had to drive Few hundred Kim's on one of our corrugated roads.
we laughed our arses off

worth knowing if one is bent on murdering roos... there's a vid of someone getting kicked that I'll look for in case you haven't seen it

here it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SO-XpbaycM

purri
12-15-2012, 05:23 PM
"Murdering" roos?? Skippy is very popular in our kitchen.

BTW the dominant male is quite a nasty piece if you get too close to his females.

Shang
12-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Nope. In the coast range of oregon, the undergrowth is quite thick. It's a rain forest. So, one often does not even see a deer until it's quite close. One adopts strategies to accomplish getting quite close. When one is close enough, and the aim is careful enough, a .22 is gun enough.

I did later carry a 30.06 or a 30-30... but that had partly to do with having 'graduated' in my father's eyes, and partly out of laziness (getting close stealthily is not easy work), and partly because I started hunting further east, where visibility was dramatically better and longer shots where necessary.

Not being a hunter I just sneak up on does and milk them.

David G
12-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Not being a hunter I just sneak up on does and milk them.

I think I've told the story of deer hunting with a bowie knife here. Someday, I'll tell it again. Brian gets to hear it next Thursday... but it'll cost him a beer <G>

Meli
12-15-2012, 08:51 PM
worth knowing if one is bent on murdering roos... there's a vid of someone getting kicked that I'll look for in case you haven't seen it

here it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SO-XpbaycM

yep I've seen it, that was just a gentle mischievous tap.:d
they can be very quiet and fast.

hows this for stupid.
they can cause serious injury, even the little ones

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=XZ2I5N35VXw

Meli
12-15-2012, 09:00 PM
And some home grown Morans

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=Uca_CKuTHQc