PDA

View Full Version : Wb 230

rbgarr
12-11-2012, 05:23 PM
or whatever number the new one is has shown up on our local newsstand, so it should be in the mailbox tomorrow. You've included a couple of articles I especially like: Paul Gartside on 'the design spiral', and an appreciation of southern New England striped bass fishing boats with Ralph Winslow's designs highlighted.

http://www.soundingsonline.com/columns-blogs/under-way/237632-under-way

Here's one for sale, too: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2101808&checked_boats=2101808&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=8264&url=&imc=pg-fs

So thanks WB, for the effort put into articles about designing, designers and design comparisons. It's my main interest in 'things wood boaty'.

John How
12-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Got mine today!

CWSmith
12-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Good discussions of rowboats of different kinds. I'm glad - I could really use one this summer.

Doug Wood
12-17-2012, 11:20 AM
WB, why is this not available on my iPad yet?

Oldad
12-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Geoff Kerr has a great article on paddle boards. Great read, just wish I was young enough, have trouble keeping my balance on the side walk, never mind a paddle board;)

rbgarr
12-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Oldad,

Is Marshfield VT near you? In Tom Jackson's 'Across the bar', p. 27, he mentions that Jim Pearson passed away before completing an Aage Nielsen 'Northern Crown'.

Oldad
12-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Wal, not too near, about an hour away more in the central part of the state, we are near Burlington, more on the west coast, yes, we like to say we are on the west coast of New England.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=les;&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&cp=13&gs_id=1e&xhr=t&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355325884,d.dmQ&bpcl=39967673&biw=1669&bih=887&q=marshfield+vt&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4cb454b793ae8cdb:0xd7228e6e1accb1af,Marshf ield,+VT&gl=us&sa=X&ei=tYfPUMPlNumn0AGr-IHIDw&sqi=2&ved=0CIYBELYD

RFNK
12-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Oi! Why isn't the new one available for iPad?
Rick

Thad
12-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Glad to see the TALLY HO description. Would have been nice to see this picture, http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q499/Thad66/ReddsPondboats/talleyh1_zps7ecb2436.jpg
Thank you Tom, Matt, Carl and all. Now she needs the interested party/work/money!!

Carl Cramer
12-18-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry we're not on iTunes yet. Our digital provider has dropped its service a bit with this issue. Hopefully tomorrow it will be there.

Beginning Jan 1 2013, we'll be with a new service. An email is to go out to all digital subscribers tomorrow -- If you ARE a digital subscriber and if you want them, I suggest you log in to your digital account now and download all the issues available to you. It will take us awhile to make them available to you with our new -- and hopefully improved -- service.

-- Why is nothing ever easy? Just a good eye, a sharp chisel, good plans, and a great magazine. Who needs more technology than that?

Best wishes to you, Carl

bob winter
12-19-2012, 05:30 AM
I got my magazine yesterday. This has to be some sort of record for prompt delivery. Usually I have to wait and wait.

StevenBauer
12-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Very timely article about wood stoves on boats. Including a picture of Sjogin's Sardine. :)

Steven

rbgarr
12-19-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm SO TEMPTED to install a wood stove after reading that article. There's a simple, cheap, 'portable' one on Ebay that I'm following, but it looks quite 'leaky'. Hmmm.

TR
02-16-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm just now reading #230......small islands in the Gulf of Georgia being well behind the rest of the world. I have huge respect for Paul Gartside, it's nice to see some living designer's getting noticed.

But I think there may be some confusion develop over the "Design Spiral" bit.......I think I first came across the design spiral in Cy Hamlin's Preliminary Design of Boats and Ships(1989), then it appeared in Principals of Yacht Design (1994). The spiral is a graphic description of the trial and error method of designing a boat. Starting at the outside with a concept the designer proceeds around the spiral in tighter circles, refining each area of a design as required by the revision of other factors. So hull form changes in light of stability, displacement (weight), ballast, or draft requirements, and everything changes again when you look at the budget. Today there are only a few lone designers doing complete boats using this method. More usual is the larger, "team design" where the graphic is a "Design Cone" with each of the team members feeding a section of the cone and refining to reach that apex of a completed project.

Today the "design spiral"(a design method) is the second thing I teach to aspiring designers. The first is the SOR, statement of requirements. Getting back to the article, someone said "The only thing a designer has to sell is his experience." Bill Garden taught me that an educated guess is just as, or perhaps more, accurate than a 20 page weight study. The educated part is hard to come by though. First you need to spend 20 or so years doing the 20 page weight studies.....which is hard work.