PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here in the National Geographic Genographic Project

Larks
12-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Has anyone here participated in the National Geographic "Genographic Project"?

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com

Any thoughts on it?

I've been interested for quite a while in either doing it or buying it as a gift for my brother to do (seeing as it'd be the same result either way but of a fun thing to get my brother involved)....but it's quite an expense exercise so am wondering what the experience/outcome of any who may have done it may have been like.

I have a "theory" of what our ancestry is, but am quite interested to see how close that may be to the reality.

purri
12-09-2012, 08:44 PM
It was run here on ID folk in the late 90's proposed as a "public good". Fortunately not many responded. It's a nasty piece of work with widespread implications for certain genotypes.

Larks
12-09-2012, 08:51 PM
It was run here on ID folk in the late 90's proposed as a "public good". Fortunately not many responded. It's a nasty piece of work with widespread implications for certain genotypes.

How do you figure that?

Bernadette
12-09-2012, 09:13 PM
watch "gattaca" the movie. dumb as it may be. i do wonder how we will behave in time.

purri
12-10-2012, 12:00 AM
As has been discussed before there are sub groups who have a propensity as specific genetic diversity (Ashkenasi Jews, Africans and local folk for separate reasons) leave them open to diseases and tailored virusues. Some yankee self promoter talked it up abt 20 years back.

Not a good call.

How do you figure that?

Larks
12-10-2012, 12:36 AM
As has been discussed before there are sub groups who have a propensity as specific genetic diversity (Ashkenasi Jews, Africans and local folk for separate reasons) leave them open to diseases and tailored virusues. Some yankee self promoter talked it up abt 20 years back.

Not a good call.

No, I'm afraid you've still lost me here!! How does this relate to our origins and movements across the globe?

Waddie
12-10-2012, 01:19 AM
I've loved National Geographic since puberty........... :)

regards,
Waddie

purri
12-10-2012, 03:43 AM
nippleophile eh?

Waddie
12-10-2012, 10:40 AM
nippleophile eh?

also gam-ophile, derriere-ophile and French accent-ophile.......... :)

regards,
Waddie

PhaseLockedLoop
12-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm curious what harm you see as well.

BTW- $200 is outside my budget at the moment but seems like a fair value for what you could learn about your own past and contribute to. a fantastic database of human history.

Doug

I wish they'd give an example or two of results. As it is I don't get a clear picture of what they're doing.

L.W. Baxter
12-11-2012, 12:04 AM
I wish they'd give an example or two of results. As it is I don't get a clear picture of what they're doing.

If you click the "buy the kit" button you can "view sample results".

Looks like this:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/html/shopping/images/screen_whoAmI.jpg

I have bought a couple kits for my brother and sis-in-law for Christmas. Brother is a biologist and a hobby-genealogist, so I think will get a kick out of it.

Thanks for bringing the subject up, Larks.

Dave Gray
12-11-2012, 12:13 AM
My daughter has been interested in the ancestry.com DNA test which is basically for ethnic types, as I understand it. I think I may have to research both.

Larks
12-11-2012, 12:53 AM
If you click the "buy the kit" button you can "view sample results".

Looks like this:

I have bought a couple kits for my brother and sis-in-law for Christmas. Brother is a biologist and a hobby-genealogist, so I think will get a kick out of it.

Thanks for bringing the subject up, Larks.

I'll be interested to hear what their experience is with it.