PDA

View Full Version : Mitch McConnell filibusters his own bill!

Tom Montgomery
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
The money quote by the President of the Senate: "I got whiplash!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGo8E3shaIQ

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) may have made United States senate history yesterday when he blocked a straight up-or-down vote on a proposal that he, himself, offered for a vote Thursday morning. The bill, which would have taken the debt ceiling gun away from the head of the U.S. economy by requiring a two-thirds majority to override a presidential increase to the debt ceiling, was McConnell's idea, but when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid agreed with McConnell's request for a vote on the bill Thursday afternoon, McConnell objected!

Astounding.

leikec
12-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Thread number thirty-one on the subject....

Jeff C

ron ll
12-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Thread number thirty-one on the subject....

Jeff C

I must have miscounted, I only saw 29. :)

But given the stupidity of some of this political nonsense, I'm surprised it isn't made into a TV reality show. Maybe then we could send one of them home every week.

Tom Montgomery
12-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Well... I didn't check the Bilge before posting this.

But the idiot IS my Senator. So I reserve the right to pile on when he gets caught playing games in the U.S. Senate.

This clown is a leader of his Party. I think this demonstrates how seriously he and his GOP legislator peers they take their duties.

ron ll
12-07-2012, 11:44 AM
But the idiot IS my Senator.

My sympathies.

Curtism
12-07-2012, 11:52 AM
What ron ll said.

Thanks for posting the video, Tom. That's way better than reading transcripts. And I like the way Senator Durbin does his re-cap, sort of putting the exclamation point on how bizarre that scene was.

Concordia 33
12-07-2012, 11:58 AM
The money quote by the President of the Senate: "I got whiplash!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGo8E3shaIQ

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) may have made United States senate history yesterday when he blocked a straight up-or-down vote on a proposal that he, himself, offered for a vote Thursday morning. The bill, which would have taken the debt ceiling gun away from the head of the U.S. economy by requiring a two-thirds majority to override a presidential increase to the debt ceiling, was McConnell's idea, but when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid agreed with McConnell's request for a vote on the bill Thursday afternoon, McConnell objected!

Astounding.

No more astounding that Harry Reid blocking an effort to put President Obama's Fiscal Cliff proposal to a vote - He blocked a vote on a proposal from the President (a Fellow Democrat).

They ALL play politics. Do you really think it is the domain of the GOP alone?

ron ll
12-07-2012, 12:00 PM
They ALL play politics. Do you really think it is the domain of the GOP alone?

But filibustering your own bill is a new low, you gotta admit.

Tom Montgomery
12-07-2012, 12:03 PM
The refrain of those who lack integrity: "Everyone does it!"

In other words: Two wrongs always make a right. We are helpless and powerless and must simply accept incompetence, cynicism, game-playing, and obstructionism at the highest levels of our government.

Concordia 33
12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
The refrain of those who lack integrity: "Everyone does it!"

In other words: Two wrongs always make a right. We are helpless and powerless and must simply accept incompetence, cynicism, game-playing, and obstructionism at the highest levels of our government.

No, I don't think that is what I am saying as much as to question why you would single out only one rather than inditing the whole lot of them (which would suggest you are the one that lacks "integrity"). I do not excuse their behavior, they are there to represent us, not to play games. The sooner they get it, the sooner we will once again have a representative government. The problem is that they do not fear the voters. "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny"

Concordia 33
12-07-2012, 12:16 PM
But filibustering your own bill is a new low, you gotta admit.

Is it any lower that a Senate that hasn't passes a budget in over 3 years! A Senate Majority leader who has blocked two of President Obama's budget proposals and one Fiscal Cliff resolution. I don't think any Congressman or Senator should be paid their salary for every day that there is not an approved budget. You want to see people cut through the gridlock fast?

Tom Montgomery
12-07-2012, 12:19 PM
No, I don't think that is what I am saying as much as to question why you would single out only one rather than inditing the whole lot of them (which would suggest you are the one that lacks "integrity").
What part of

the idiot IS my Senator do you not understand?

Concordia 33
12-07-2012, 12:25 PM
What part of

do you not understand?
I don't know about you, but my outrage or approval of a Senator (or congressman) is not restricted to my little piece of the world. I have approved and condemned actions for Congressmen and Senators outside my home state on numerous occasions and the fact that they are not from my "district" in no way bunts my approval or outrage.

Tom Montgomery
12-07-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't know about you, but my outrage or approval of a Senator (or congressman) is not restricted to my little piece of the world.Neither is mine.

But in this particular thread I am skewering MY U.S. SENATOR.

Why does that bother you?

I have approved and condemned actions for Congressmen and Senators outside my home state on numerous occasions....As have I. I don't understand your complaint. Are you defending Senator McConnell?

Tom Montgomery
12-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Lawrence O'Donnell remarked that Mitch McConnell forgot the unwritten #1 rule for the U.S. Senate minority leader:

If you are going to pull a stunt on the floor of the U.S. Senate you had better be certain it is going to work.