PDA

View Full Version : Your next television may watch you...

willmarsh3
12-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Kind'a creepy. And they don't really mince words.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/12/05/verizon_patent_would_monitor_you_as_you_watch_tv_s o_it_can_customize_ads.html

This is sort of like how gmail generates ads from the contents of your email but at least you can control what goes in the email.

ron ll
12-06-2012, 12:21 PM
How many of you have a laptop with a camera mounted in it? How do you know it hasn't been hacked?

PhaseLockedLoop
12-06-2012, 12:28 PM
How many of you have a laptop with a camera mounted in it? How do you know it hasn't been hacked?

I know it hasn't, because it has black duct tape over the lens.

StevenBauer
12-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I know it hasn't, because it has black duct tape over the lens.

That doesn't mean you haven't been hacked. Only that they can't see you while they are listening in on you. ;)

wharf rat
12-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Ah, so the movie "Looker" (1981 or so) begins to come true.

So what happens if I'm engaged in hot monkey s...uh...'involvement' with a person of the opposite gender while the tv is on? Then what?

ron ll
12-06-2012, 01:09 PM

So what happens if I'm engaged in hot monkey s...uh...'involvement' with a person of the opposite gender while the tv is on? Then what?

You get ads for condoms or baby clothes.

Kaa
12-06-2012, 01:16 PM
It's an interesting trend.

I suspect that before your TV will watch you, your car will watch (and record) your driving. With consequences for law enforcement and insurance. For your own good (tm), of course :-/

Kaa

B_B
12-06-2012, 01:20 PM
....your car will watch (and record) your driving. With consequences for law enforcement and insurance. For your own good (tm), of course :-/

Kaa
I think you'll have cars driving themselves before the above comes a reality.

Kaa
12-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I think you'll have cars driving themselves before the above comes a reality.

It *is* a reality right now. In modern cars (don't recall offhand starting from which year) the black box records certain parameters (e.g. throttle position) for the last few seconds on an ongoing basis. If you get into a crash, the police can and will look at this recording to determine what exactly did you do prior to the crash.

I also think that at least one auto insurance company proposed that it will offer lower premiums (at the beginning, at least) to people who agree to mount a GPS in their car with all the data from the GPS going to the insurance company. I don't know if that proposal was actually implemented, but I can see some people saying that would be a good thing :-/

Kaa

PhaseLockedLoop
12-06-2012, 01:40 PM

With Susan Dey, right? I liked that one.

Kaa
12-06-2012, 01:59 PM

Ahem. There's been a rather well-known book...

"Behind Winston's back the voice from the telescreen was still babbling away about pig-iron and the overfulfilment of the Ninth Three-Year Plan. The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment."

And even before that, there was a certain building design called Panopticon...

Kaa

Joe Dupere
12-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Then you can get royalties, and retire!! :D

Kaa
12-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Progressive is the ins. co. and they call it "Snapshot". Ads all over the tv with "Flo", their superstar spokeswoman, pushing it.

Kinda but not exactly. Snapshot doesn't have a GPS, it's basically an accelerometer which records mostly how much and how harshly do you drive. But yeah, here is a device that records your driving for outside parties to observe.

Kaa

Todd D
12-06-2012, 03:38 PM
I am not worried since my antenna is receive only. As far as my laptop picking up pictures of me or sound goes, a hacker would have to be very patient to get anyting worthwhile over my 28.8 kbit dial-up connection. Sometimes it pays to live in the sticks - no cable or high speed internet on our one lane gravel road.

Figment
12-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Your next television may watch you....

In Soviet Russia?

:)

http://content9.flixster.com/photo/11/62/95/11629539_ori.jpg

Can't believe this went 16 posts without Yakov!

Soundbounder
12-06-2012, 04:32 PM
I remember this (couldn't remember the details, though):

In 2001, a Connecticut car rental company began charging renters a $150 fine for speeding in their rental cars, using a GPS-equipped monitoring system.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/thinking-outside-black-box

McMike
12-06-2012, 05:44 PM
It's an interesting trend.

I suspect that before your TV will watch you, your car will watch (and record) your driving. With consequences for law enforcement and insurance. For your own good (tm), of course :-/

Kaa

How you drive your car is not an invasion of privacy as long as they are not logging where you're going and your conversations. Too many people drive like crap or very irresponsibly, the auto related death rates prove my point. I can't wait until cars are automated. Being recorded while I watch TV or use my computer . . . There is nothing that will convince me that that's is okay.

john welsford
12-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Kind'a creepy. And they don't really mince words.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/12/05/verizon_patent_would_monitor_you_as_you_watch_tv_s o_it_can_customize_ads.html

This is sort of like how gmail generates ads from the contents of your email but at least you can control what goes in the email.

I would lay a bet that within a few weeks of a system like that coming into use there will be a "countermeasure" available off the shelf, perhaps a version of whatever they will call the recording device for storing programs, that will delay the viewing by a moment or two, or filtering it completely by stopping the pickup from picking up the viewers activity. I imagine it would be easy to circumvent.

We have very recently had a concession from our main tv channels in that they have pulled the sound volume on ads back to the same as the programming, they do listen to the viewers, at least sometimes.

JohnW

leikec
12-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Auto black boxes also record seat belt usage, so that data can be retrieved in case of an accident.

Jeff C

Meli
12-07-2012, 02:10 AM
I'm glad my car is old, I don't watch tv and have no GPS or any of those other newfangled things.
even my mobile is so old there's no camera.
no one can watch me plucking my eyebrows or othe random growths while driving:d

Phillip Allen
12-07-2012, 02:17 AM
plucking your EYEBROWS!!! I wonder why that sent me to chuckling... :)

Meli
12-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Well only when the lights are red. Best mirror and light there is :d

Shang
12-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Holy Orwell...Big Brother is Watching.

Yep, Slate really nailed it this time.