PDA

View Full Version : What's the best 12v rechargeable drill?

PeterSibley
12-05-2012, 11:53 PM
I currently have a 12volt Makita that originally came with nicad batteries, these died a year or two ago and a friend repacked the cases with nickel metal hydride batteries. These are a huge improvement and have effectively doubled the amp hour rating of the batteries, the trouble now is that the actual drill clutch is wearing out. The adjustable torque setting mechanism is slipping so I can't apply more than a light load ! Very frustrating . I'll see if I can repair it but if not I'm in the market for a new 12 volt drill.

I'd like to go Lithium Ion with the next one and Makita don't sell a 12v Lithium Ion drill here to the best of my knowledge so it's going to to have to be a different brand .

Any suggestion?

David G
12-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Why are you attached to the 12v?

For years, when it came to cordless drills, I'd have recommended Makita without hesitation. And I'd still purchase a Makita with no qualms whatsoever. I have Makita 18v now, along with a leftover 14.4v NiMh that won't die.

That said, if I absolutely wanted nothing other than 12v - it'd be a Milwaukee. I own the Milwaukee 12v cordless oscillating multitool - the operation of which is demanding of juice - and I'm impressed with the batteries. Plus - they offer the standard battery, and a fatboy with maybe 60% more run time per charge. I've played with a friends 12v drill driver... and it seems just a rock-solid as the multitool does. You might also look at the Panasonic & Bosch. I don't know their lines as well, but have heard good things about them.

Larks
12-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Not a 12V Peter, but if I was after one now I'd be going for an 18V, the Makita BDF452HW Lithium Ion

Breakaway
12-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Two years ago I bought a Milwaukee 18-v li-on to replace an aging Makita. Very pleased.

Kevin

johnno
12-06-2012, 02:05 AM
18V LI for me too. Actually I got a Bunnings special on an 18V LI Ryobi drill and a driver, two batteries and charger for something like $200. They worked through the boat build and the extremely tough hardwood shed build without missing a beat. I'm very pleased with them, and the batteries have a great life compared with the NC.

PeterSibley
12-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Not a 12V Peter, but if I was after one now I'd be going for an 18V, the Makita BDF452HW Lithium Ion

I used one of those and the impact driver that comes in the kit all last week putting my roof on with a mate. It's an excellent tool but the drill is very heavy for workshop use, the impact driver is a gem but the gearbox/clutch on the drill is just too big and heavy for my current use. I have very good corded drills if I need lots of power. The impact driver by itself is a possibility as its very light and extremely powerful.

I'm really happy with my old Makita 12v for workshop use, a nice size and sufficient power but it's dying !

PeterSibley
12-06-2012, 02:31 AM
Hmmm.... actually Greg this might do , a lighter drill. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Makita-18V-Li-Ion-Cordless-Driver-Drill-Combo-Kit-BDF456SHE-/370688240437?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item564ebdab35&_uhb=1#ht_1441wt_1002

Gold Rock
12-06-2012, 02:45 AM
+1 on the Milwaukee Peter. I got an M18 (Milwaukee pn 2603-22) with the brushless motor about a year ago. Excellent tool with the best keyless chuck I've ever used outside a machine shop. Battery life is exceptional and vastly more power than the old Dewalts I used for so many years.

PeterSibley
12-06-2012, 03:00 AM
It looks good Chuck but it's a lot more expensive than the Makita.

Gold Rock
12-06-2012, 04:37 AM
I hadn't noticed that. That's a big plus in Makita's column alright.

m2c1Iw
12-06-2012, 05:17 AM
18V LI for me too. Actually I got a Bunnings special on an 18V LI Ryobi drill and a driver, two batteries and charger for something like $200. They worked through the boat build and the extremely tough hardwood shed build without missing a beat. I'm very pleased with them, and the batteries have a great life compared with the NC.

Still got my trusty old Makita but having more than one drill when boat building is a real time saver so lashed out with the Ryobi 18v only criticism is the chuck a bit weak in the jaws.
Anyway the great thing is the other cordless tools the saw and trimmer are fantastic but make sure you get the Li I went cheap with Nicad and regret it the extra run time and quicker charging are worth the extra.

gt05254
12-06-2012, 07:51 AM
I have Milwaukee 12v, 14.4v and 18 volt, love 'em all!
Gary

StevenBauer
12-06-2012, 08:14 AM
If you are driving screws get an impact driver. They are awesome. I have the Milwaukee. But there are other good ones. Just stay away from the really cheap off-brands. The super low price might be tempting but they are not worth it, they just won't hold up.

Steven

SMARTINSEN
12-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Steven Bauer gets it. I use the impact driver a lot more than the drill, and they are the way to go in tandem, as well. Both I8 volt Makita.

Mrleft8
12-06-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't know why you guys like to lug around all that battery..... I like the DeWalt 9v drill/drivers. I guess if I was hogging out 3/4" holes in framing all day I might be persuaded, but for shop use, I've never found the use for a big honking battery...

chas
12-06-2012, 11:10 AM
"Not a 12V Peter, but if I was after one now I'd be going for an 18V, the Makita BDF452HW Lithium Ion"

I've had this one for three years now. A daily driver; no complaints. / Jim

kc8pql
12-06-2012, 11:20 AM
"Not a 12V Peter, but if I was after one now I'd be going for an 18V, the Makita BDF452HW Lithium Ion"

I've had this one for three years now. A daily driver; no complaints. / Jim

Me too, though more like 5 years. Best driver/drill I've ever had, and I've been through a bunch of them.
My only objection is that it looks like a running shoe...

http://www.expresstools.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/MAKITA_BDF452HW_CORDLESS_DRILL_DRIVER.jpg

PeterSibley
12-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Yes, it looks as if that will be the one, most of the others above aren't well supported here but Makita is .

Me too, though more like 5 years. Best driver/drill I've ever had, and I've been through a bunch of them.
My only objection is that it looks like a running shoe...

http://www.expresstools.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/MAKITA_BDF452HW_CORDLESS_DRILL_DRIVER.jpg

chas
12-06-2012, 05:46 PM
You won't go wrong. The best part, it's balanced in your hand. / Jim

Nicholas Carey
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Milwaukee M12 line: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/m12-cordless-system

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/CatalogItem/Images/64944_2403-22-lg.jpg

Aside from it begin a great drill, tiny, torquey and powerful, they look at it from a systems perspective: Ya gots yer drill, ya gots yer hammer drill, ya gots yer screwdriver, ya gots yer portable mini-Sawzall, yer portable bandsaw, yer electrically heated jacket, yer multimeter, yer tubing cutter, cable cutter, cordless ratchet, palm nailer, etc. The tools are pretty much all available as a kit, with charger and batteries, or as bare tools, so once you've got a sufficiency of batteries and chargers, you can save some dollars. Also, they've got two sizes of battery, the standard, tiny 2.0 amp-hour version and the bigger (but still small) 4.0 amp-hour version.

Further, they've recently revv'ed the lineup so they're now using the new high-tech brushless motors.

I've only got two complaints about mine: first, they'res noway to put a lanyard on it so you don't drop it, and second, it's so small, it's hard to find a holster for it. Hmmm...come to think of it, an acquaintance is a product manager for the instruments part of Milwaukee's M12 line...I should tickle his brain about getting the drills modified so one could put a lanyard on them.

If the M12 isn't manly enough, you can move up to the M18 line.

Ron Williamson
12-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I have had the black and white Makitas,drill and impact,since 2007 or so.
The small batteries(1.8Ah?) lasted two years of constant cabinet assembly and installation.
I bought 3Ah to replace them and have been happy despite the extra weight.

BTW,cordless drills suck for drilling lots of holes.
I don't have that much time.
R

chas
12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
"BTW,cordless drills suck for drilling lots of holes."

Cordless tools are backup when power is one heavy, long or tangled cord too far away! That should be a temporary situation in a serious construction environment. I personally hate cordless circular saws, cordless sawzalls in particular because so often they are being used in awkward positions, and those impact guns because of the noise. I like to feel and hear the screw when I'm driving it. :D Just my opinion. / Jim

Larks
12-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Yes, it looks as if that will be the one, most of the others above aren't well supported here but Makita is .

You won't be disappointed, but the other one that you posted looks like a good deal and I reckon I'd be happy with either. They are both the same weight though I think, 1.5kg

http://www.makita.com.au/images/products/lithium/BDF456SHE_zoom.jpg

Ron Williamson
12-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Impactors are a pain for long screws,because they just rattle away with slo-o-o-o-w-w-w-w- progress,but for little stuff or where you have predrilled, they hardly rattle and are pretty fast.
If I need to have my head inside a cabinet that I'm working on,I use the drill or hearing protection.

I agree about the circ. and recipro. saws,but a flashlight could be pretty handy.
I have used the LED on a cordless drill to find a real flashlight during a power failure.
R

Nicholas Carey
12-06-2012, 11:47 PM
That gizmo at the back, just above the word "fuel," looks like a clip. Can'tcha hook a lanyard to it?
Maybe they've added a belt clip or suchlike since I got mine, but mine doesn't have anything like that. That'll teach me to be an early adopter :D

RFNK
12-07-2012, 02:48 AM
I wouldn't dream of using anything less than 18v for general use now. I've got various drills and an imact driver. The impact driver is an AEG with lots of grunt but it keeps breaking the tips off Phillips bits, leaving little crags jammed in the screw head grrr. My go to drill now is a Bosch GSB 18v LI. It's light and has a good belt clip. The batteries are small and light and charge in about 20 - 30 minutes. I don't know how long they last but the kit I bought came with 3 and that's enough to last me all day. The clutch and chuck seem really good to me. I bought it on special from CDA Fasteners.

Rick

peter radclyffe
12-07-2012, 01:15 PM
fein is very good Peter

Chip-skiff
12-07-2012, 01:54 PM
As you ponder, you might look at your power tools and think about what you might be replacing over the next few years. Given the high cost of the battery packs and the need to have extras for all-day work, the drill should be the cornerstone for a matching set of tools that use the same battery and charger.

On the advice of a builder/finish-carpenter mate, I went with DeWalt 18v, starting with a drill and a driver. I added a circular saw, a right-angle drill, and a reciprocal saw. The tools are large and a bit heavy, but I use them for house framing, roofing, timber fencing, and the like. No trouble so far. My friend often helps me on jobs, and having compatible batteries makes things easier for both of us.

Dan Lyke
12-07-2012, 02:48 PM
I have an older Festool C12 and a Milwaukee M12 drill and impact driver. I should have saved my pennies and gotten another Festool drill rather than the M12 devices. The M12s are fine as far as they go, though they lack the chuck options of the Festool, but the Festool is brushless, has better speed control, there's just a lot that makes it a better experience.

Canoez
12-07-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't know why you guys like to lug around all that battery..... I like the DeWalt 9v drill/drivers. I guess if I was hogging out 3/4" holes in framing all day I might be persuaded, but for shop use, I've never found the use for a big honking battery...

You didn't like that little Bosch 12V that I had around last weekend? Lots lighter than your Dewalt and the 18V Makita I had.

michigangeorge
12-07-2012, 04:05 PM
I've had Makita, Hitachi, Black& Decker and others and none lasted very long. I am finally happy with my 15.6 Volt PANASONIC. It's taken a real beating for the past four years and shows no signs of dying soon.

Bluegill
12-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Harbour Freight has good drills. When they fail you throw away the old one and buy a new.

PeterSibley
12-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Harbour Freight has good drills. When they fail you throw away the old one and buy a new.

That's not my preferred practise.

David G
12-08-2012, 08:30 PM

That's not my preferred practise.

Nor mine. When I pick up a tool, I want to to work, work well, and work reliably. I've also found over the years that it is usually far more expensive in the long run to replace a series of junk tool than it is to spend the money for a good quality tool in the first place. You don't have to buy the Maserati, but at least buy the Honda, Ford, or Toyoya. Stay away from the Yugo.

Ron Williamson
12-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Normally, something only craps out when you need it the most.
I'm willing to pay extra,within reason, for reliability,durability and good engineering.

I've used black & decker and skil (not worthy of caps) cordless drills left on jobsites, that weren't worth taking home.
They were slow,extra slow,clunky, and battery life was almost non existent,so they were extremely frustrating to use.
R

Bluegill
12-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Normally, something only craps out when you need it the most.
I'm willing to pay extra,within reason, for reliability,durability and good engineering. R

Go for high reliability; buy 2 Harbour Freight drills for $60. That is more reliable than 1 $200 DeWalt drill.

Bluegill
12-09-2012, 10:42 AM
I am finally happy with my 15.6 Volt PANASONIC. It's taken a real beating for the past four years and shows no signs of dying soon.
Are you still using the original battery ????

michigangeorge
12-09-2012, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=Bluegill;3620328]Are you still using the original battery ????[/QUOTE:

The drill came with two batteries and they both take and hold a charge very well. The drill has done at least six new builds or restorations - thats a lotta screwing!

John P Lebens
12-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Well, as a Festool shill, I need to make the pitch!

I own their 12volt T-12 model and it has been excellent for what I do. They also make a 15 and an 18 volt version. The set is the best value because it includes a 90 degree, concentric, hex bit holder, as well as the classic Jacobs chuck. With this one smallish drill I can get into any cramped location on our boat. I was unable to find another drill with all the chuck options, which seriously improves the functionality and otherwise requires the purchase of a second or third drill. The "Systainer" box that holds all this stuff is a great storage unit. The unit is so smooth and controllable that it reminds me of a dental drill. I don't think any other manufacturer has a three year warranty like festool.

Here's a link:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=257849&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=product_ad_55765&type=pla

RFNK
12-26-2012, 06:41 PM
That Festool drill set will cost you $AUD 800 in Oz. It would need to be one hell of a drill!

Rick

John P Lebens
12-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Only about US$550! Yes, I know, it is a daunting price. And it is a hell of a drill.

RFNK
12-27-2012, 02:39 AM
The Oz dollar is a little bit higher than the US dollar but imported tools, and far too many other goods, are also priced much higher in Oz. it's an issue.

Rick

PeterSibley
12-27-2012, 03:52 AM
I visited Trade Tools last week and looked at the various drills, they're all good! Makita, Panasonic , Bosch, Milwaukee, Hitachi. Most are about the same weight but seeing I'm only after a workshop tool rather than something for site work I'll go for the 1.3 amp hour batteries and 18 volt.
The Hitachi looks like a running shoe and it's expensive. The Bosch they handle wasn't suitable.

The Makita BDF459SME ( $A339 )was good, as was the Panasonic E7744ILE2s ($A239 ) both of these having 12 month guarantees but my choice is the Milwaukee CI8DD-L ($A269) but with a 5 year guarantee on the tool, 12 months on the battery.

http://www.combidrilldeals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Milwaukee-C18PD-18V-Combi-Hammer-Drill.gif

Seeing the reason I'm buying a new drill is the gearboxes and torque setting mechanisms on my 12v Makita failing a 5 year guarantee is attractive.