PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on a Shopvac

Concordia 33
12-03-2012, 12:22 PM
I posted this above deck, but realized that there are a lot of bilge rats with pretty good workshop experience and that some of you may not venture above the bilge so I thought I would post it here too as I could use some good advice. Plus it counts as another new thread for the bilge :d

I'm thinking of buying a shopvac. One where it turns on when you power on the hand sander/jigsaw. I would like one that is able to collect the most dust when connected to a power sander, jig saw etc. The obvious choice is a Fein or a Festool. From what I gather the Festool works great, has great parts storage and the flat top makes it easy to rest tools on when/if needed. The Fein supposedly works just as good, is a little quieter, has poor part storage and is a heck of a lot less money. I was wondering if anyone here has either (or a better alternative) and could give me their advice/recommendations.

Thanks

Mrleft8
12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
The Festool is a superior product, but way too expensive.
I like my Ridgid 16gallon unit, but if it had the filter shake feature it'd be even better. The ability to take the vacuum unit off the can to use it as a debris blower is a very nice feature too.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Nilfisk

Concordia 33
12-03-2012, 12:48 PM
The Festool is a superior product, but way too expensive.
I like my Ridgid 16gallon unit, but if it had the filter shake feature it'd be even better. The ability to take the vacuum unit off the can to use it as a debris blower is a very nice feature too.

What do you think about about the Fein? It is half the price of the Festool, has a plug so you can power up you vac with the power tool, variable suction and has a HEPA filter. Again I am looking for maximum dust capture when working with sanders and other hand tools that generate a lot of dust. It would still be a little more than double the cost of you Ridgid shopvac.

M. J. Notigan
12-03-2012, 12:56 PM
I have the Fein Turbo II......my second one after the first one gave 14 years of hard, hard service. I utilize the HEPA filter with my sanding tools. After buying the first Fein, I wondered why I took so long in buying it. The HEPA eliminates the dust, period. It helped save my lungs and it keeps the area free of dust. If you want quality and great dust extraction you buy the Fein or Festool. These vacuums are a considerable investment, but when it comes to your lungs and overall health, what is 500 bucks in the end?

The HEPA filter is a costly option, but it is the only way to go if you are building boats.

Take Care,
Mike

ron ll
12-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I have the Fein and I like it. It's quiet and seems to work well for me, both in the shop and on the boat. However, I took the wheels off of it to make it easier to fit on the deck when I'm working on the boat, and as a result the bottom isn't flat and it tends to tip over when I pull the hose. I think the newer ones are a different shape and may not have that problem (not that it's a problem for most folks). The hose is very long and very flexible and stays untangled and seems to be impervious to crushing as I seem to step on it a lot. I really like the auto on/off when tools are connected to it but I'm sure others have that feature as well.

J P
12-03-2012, 01:39 PM
I had an old Craftsman vac that was so freaking screeching loud it should have been illegal. The sound of that thing actually killed one of my dogs, a deaf dog at that. A sad but true story.
After that unfortunate experience I sought out the quietest vac I could find and that seemed to be the Fein, so I got one.
I've been happy with it but it does boggle my mind that there isn't any part storage on the thing.
I tell myself someday I'll make some kind of hose/part holder for it but it's way down the list of 'someday' things to do.

Peach
12-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Porter-Cable makes a tool-triggered shop vac.. Whatever you do, don't buy one.

Dan McCosh
12-03-2012, 04:04 PM
I use an actual Shopvac, and turn it on myself. I think it was about $30, maybe five years ago. Bottom paint dust seems to do them in eventually. The model is billed as "quiet", and it actually is.

Lew Barrett
12-03-2012, 04:16 PM
I have a collection of Ridgids and a Fein. I have had the Fein for fifteen years and the switch has finally given out. The Fein's best feature is how quiet it is. As far as sucking goes, they all do. Filtering without the HEPA filter on the Fein is actually better on the Ridgids, however once you add the HEPA option to the Fein, it is superior. The Festool is excellent but not excellent enough to spring for vis a vis the Fein.

Mrleft8
12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
What do you think about about the Fein? It is half the price of the Festool, has a plug so you can power up you vac with the power tool, variable suction and has a HEPA filter. Again I am looking for maximum dust capture when working with sanders and other hand tools that generate a lot of dust. It would still be a little more than double the cost of you Ridgid shopvac.
I've only used the Fein in a friends' shop and only for a few minutes. I can't even remember what I was working on, which is pretty unusual..... It was awkward, now that I think about it...... Somehow I seem to remember that the hose kept doing the tangled telephone cord thing, and I finally detached the sander from the vacuum and finished sanding whatever it was w/o the dust collection....

Durnik
12-03-2012, 05:11 PM
A slightly different approach is to add an automatic sw to an existing shop vac. If you've a vac you like, Sears has this unit (http://www.sears.com/craftsman-auto-switch/p-00924031000P) for $20.

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/00924031000-1?hei=315&wid=315&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

add something like a centrifugal dust extractor to a mid size/power vac & you might just have a winner.

from here (http://kregjig.ning.com/xn/detail/2900167:Comment:80713) -

http://api.ning.com/files/0ztWah3iq8IYz3GJcDANNZ5QZnUpqyFxh0bURUHdPo4yVUgkVt emkStITGfKSt8JIKaR25d-C3zdm4rcyOIRvby3TgULn1xe18ezX6H0i5Q_/38MiniCyclonesetup.jpg

or this (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2021015/26325/oneida-molded-dust-deputy-kit-with-two-5gallon-plastic-buckets.aspx)

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/400/149951.jpg

For what it's worth, I've used a friends Fein - & it is nice, & it is quiet.. (tho you gotta figure a sander/jig saw/table saw/miter saw is likely to be louder) & it is pricey..

enjoy
bobby

spirit
12-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I have the Fein and am very happy with it.
One thing that may not be obvious is that the long suction tube of the Fein connects directly with most Festool power tools.

ron ll
12-03-2012, 06:44 PM
...... Somehow I seem to remember that the hose kept doing the tangled telephone cord thing, and I finally detached the sander from the vacuum and finished sanding whatever it was w/o the dust collection....

I don't get it. Of all the vacs I've used, the Fein seems to me to have the least tangle-able hose. Maybe there are different types from different vintages or something.